Vali 2 tube rolling
Dec 19, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #1,621 of 6,436
The few people that I've talked to say the same thing - the 6sn7 is still better. Supposedly the 6cg7 is better than the 12au7s - I've also heard 5814s are better than the 12au7 too.
Some of the 6cg7 recommendations I've gotten are the RCA cleartop, Tung-Sol triple mica - never been able to find one myself, or some Westinghouse types.
Better than the 12au7 clear tops?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #1,623 of 6,436
For bright sounds the Electro Harmonix 6922 is a good tube to start with, inexpensive and no adapter needed. The general consensus is the RCA 12au7a "clear top" (partsconnexion.com) with a 12au7 to 6922 adapter (ebay) is one of the best sounding bright tubes. My personal favorite though for all round use would be the Tung-Sol 6sn7gtb new production tube that requires a 6sn7 to 6922 socket adapter and a socket saver all available from tubedepot.com. If you find you like the sound of the 6sn7 then you can start looking at vintage 6sn7s which can cost $40 and (way) up. The assembly of the adapters is first install the socket saver. This allows the larger diameter 6sn7 adapter to clear the smaller opening of the Vali's case. Then put the 6sn7 adapter on the tube and insert it into the socket saver. Look at my profile picture to see what it looks like. If it's not clear I can post a better picture in the morning.
Please, post in the morning. Thanks, eh.

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #1,625 of 6,436
Please, post in the morning. Thanks, eh.
Close up:
Step 1.jpg
Socket saver only:
Step 2.jpg
6sn7 with adapter:
Step 3.jpg

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,626 of 6,436
I was curious about the 6cg7 clear tops. I have to try to remember where I saw them to see if my budget (read wife) allows it. You'll get your clear tops I'm sure, you still have something to shoot for.
I've seen them on Brent Jesse and Viva Tubes. They are pretty cheap. I actually was going to order some tubes from VT last week, but apathy and a lousy exchange rate killed that (plus the shipping was going to cost as much as the tubes themselves)

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,627 of 6,436
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #1,628 of 6,436
thanks. I've was actually surprised how good the stock tube was. The only markings on the side are 1239...can't find any info online.
Have you ever found out what make the tube with 1239 mark was?

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #1,629 of 6,436
Hey all, I was looking at the pin layout for 12au7 and 6922 and they look the same. Do you actually need an adapter or are they basically socket savers?
Yes most defiantly you need an adapter. The heater can’t be run in series you need parallel to get it Ti at 6.3 volts

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,630 of 6,436
The few people that I've talked to say the same thing - the 6sn7 is still better. Supposedly the 6cg7 is better than the 12au7s - I've also heard 5814s are better than the 12au7 too.
Some of the 6cg7 recommendations I've gotten are the RCA cleartop, Tung-Sol triple mica - never been able to find one myself, or some Westinghouse types.
5814 tubes are sort of a military version of a 12au7, not an exact sub but very close with no issues. THere are other military versions of the 12au7 as well and some of those are very nice tubes as well.

Dec 20, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,631 of 6,436
I was curious about the 6cg7 clear tops. I have to try to remember where I saw them to see if my budget (read wife) allows it. You'll get your clear tops I'm sure, you still have something to shoot for.

See I find this interesting. The Amperex long gray plate 6CG7 with the heater wire running across the top I had from the 60s was one of my FAVORITE tubes on on the Vali. Now on the Lyr people say they suck, (6CG7s) because they Lyr pushes too low a plate voltage for them to be linear. The Vali pushes an even lower plate voltage...

An edit though, I think the GE 6BK7 is a decent sounding tube, and really cheap. I subbed my 60's Amperex Holland 6DJ8s out for them in the Lyr for a bit here. Leaner bass, but tight and controlled. Mids more forward, though sometimes a tad more "shouty".

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #1,632 of 6,436
See I find this interesting. The Amperex long gray plate 6CG7 with the heater wire running across the top I had from the 60s was one of my FAVORITE tubes on on the Vali. Now on the Lyr people say they suck, (6CG7s) because they Lyr pushes too low a plate voltage for them to be linear. The Vali pushes an even lower plate voltage...

An edit though, I think the GE 6BK7 is a decent sounding tube, and really cheap. I subbed my 60's Amperex Holland 6DJ8s out for them in the Lyr for a bit here. Leaner bass, but tight and controlled. Mids more forward, though sometimes a tad more "shouty".
I think what you have just demonstrated is that sound quality is in the ear of the beholder. If it sounds good to you that should be good enough. Perhaps the tube's characteristics of the 6cg7 may be more linear than other tubes at the lower voltage but not as linear as it would be at a higher plate voltage. The character it assumes at the voltage you're using it at is pleasing to you. It could very well carry over to the 6sn7 which is supposed to be electrically identical to the 6cg7 and I think the sn7 sounds great.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,633 of 6,436
I think what you have just demonstrated is that sound quality is in the ear of the beholder. If it sounds good to you that should be good enough. Perhaps the tube's characteristics of the 6cg7 may be more linear than other tubes at the lower voltage but not as linear as it would be at a higher plate voltage. The character it assumes at the voltage you're using it at is pleasing to you. It could very well carry over to the 6sn7 which is supposed to be electrically identical to the 6cg7 and I think the sn7 sounds great.
Hm yeah. Apparently Jason from Schiit tried the 6CG7 and 6FQ7 in the Lyr and thought they sounded flabby etc. It might be that I am using planars and some of the "fast smooth" tubes people really like just make the already brighter/faster headphones sound...bad, just unrealistic and sharp.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #1,634 of 6,436
Hm yeah. Apparently Jason from Schiit tried the 6CG7 and 6FQ7 in the Lyr and thought they sounded flabby etc. It might be that I am using planars and some of the "fast smooth" tubes people really like just make the already brighter/faster headphones sound...bad, just unrealistic and sharp.
I think you're right. We don't know what headphones Jason was using and I can't comment on your 'phones because I haven't heard them. I suspect the headphones have a great deal to do with how a tube (and amp, for that matter) sounds to you.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,635 of 6,436
I think you're right. We don't know what headphones Jason was using and I can't comment on your 'phones because I haven't heard them. I suspect the headphones have a great deal to do with how a tube (and amp, for that matter) sounds to you.

Very true and a risk when rolling. You really don't know if a great tube will sound good.

For what it's worth, if anyone here is using HE400Is, I believe they are quite picky. I'd be prepared to shop around the tube market :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back