Vali 2 tube rolling
Dec 18, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,606 of 6,436
I believe you. It's the last one until you buy the next one. :slight_smile:

Me? I always buy 2. That way I'll have a backup if I like it, and if I don't like it I'll have a pair to sell to those guys that have to have two tubes...
It's my 3rd, I like to have backups. I also know what I'm asking for for my 70th, thanks to you.

Dec 18, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,607 of 6,436
Then the logical solution is to get a Lyr 3. Just one tube. As an added benefit, you'll get to start all over again with 6SN7's. :slight_smile:

How is the Lyr 3? Did you ever own a 1 or 2 to put it up against? I know 6SN7s are highly regarded and it is neat you can roll them in the 3 sans adapters. Not that I have the money *sigh*

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #1,611 of 6,436
Recommendations for first tube for Vali 2 plz.
New stock vs NOS btw?
Oh boy. After just going through the angst of tube rolling myself, my first question is what kind of sound do you like? Are we talking a pronounced high end or an overall lush sound, do you mind having to use socket adapters?

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #1,612 of 6,436
Oh boy. After just going through the angst of tube rolling myself, my first question is what kind of sound do you like? Are we talking a pronounced high end or an overall lush sound, do you mind having to use socket adapters?
I like bright sounds for most things but like warm sounds for classical and jazz. I don't mind trying new things but my wallet might. :)

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #1,613 of 6,436
I like bright sounds for most things but like warm sounds for classical and jazz. I don't mind trying new things but my wallet might. :)
For bright sounds the Electro Harmonix 6922 is a good tube to start with, inexpensive and no adapter needed. The general consensus is the RCA 12au7a "clear top" (partsconnexion.com) with a 12au7 to 6922 adapter (ebay) is one of the best sounding bright tubes. My personal favorite though for all round use would be the Tung-Sol 6sn7gtb new production tube that requires a 6sn7 to 6922 socket adapter and a socket saver all available from tubedepot.com. If you find you like the sound of the 6sn7 then you can start looking at vintage 6sn7s which can cost $40 and (way) up. The assembly of the adapters is first install the socket saver. This allows the larger diameter 6sn7 adapter to clear the smaller opening of the Vali's case. Then put the 6sn7 adapter on the tube and insert it into the socket saver. Look at my profile picture to see what it looks like. If it's not clear I can post a better picture in the morning.

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #1,614 of 6,436
For bright sounds the Electro Harmonix 6922 is a good tube to start with, inexpensive and no adapter needed. The general consensus is the RCA 12au7a "clear top" (partsconnexion.com) with a 12au7 to 6922 adapter (ebay) is one of the best sounding bright tubes. My personal favorite though for all round use would be the Tung-Sol 6sn7gtb new production tube that requires a 6sn7 to 6922 socket adapter and a socket saver all available from tubedepot.com. If you find you like the sound of the 6sn7 then you can start looking at vintage 6sn7s which can cost $40 and (way) up. The assembly of the adapters is first install the socket saver. This allows the larger diameter 6sn7 adapter to clear the smaller opening of the Vali's case. Then put the 6sn7 adapter on the tube and insert it into the socket saver. Look at my profile picture to see what it looks like. If it's not clear I can post a better picture in the morning.
Thank you!

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #1,616 of 6,436
Hey all, I was looking at the pin layout for 12au7 and 6922 and they look the same. Do you actually need an adapter or are they basically socket savers?
You need an adapter because the filaments are wired differently. The 6922 uses pins 4 and 5. The 12au7a uses 4, 5, and 9 so that it can be used in both 6 volt and 12 volt circuits. The way the Vali is wired doesn't take into account pin 9.

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,618 of 6,436
What he said ^^

Another option to look into for tubes is the 6cg7. Its basically a 9 pin 6sn7 so no adapter required
I haven't been able to find a 6cg7 that sounds as good as a 6sn7. Admittedly I've only tried a Zenith and an Electro-harmonix but to me the Tung-Sol 6sn7gtb sounded better than either of them. IMHO.
Edit: Corrected brand.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,619 of 6,436
I haven't been able to find a 6cg7 that sounds as good as a 6sn7. Admittedly I've only tried a Zenith and an Electro-harmonix but to me the Electro-harmonix 6sn7gtb sounded better than either of them. IMHO.

The few people that I've talked to say the same thing - the 6sn7 is still better. Supposedly the 6cg7 is better than the 12au7s - I've also heard 5814s are better than the 12au7 too.
Some of the 6cg7 recommendations I've gotten are the RCA cleartop, Tung-Sol triple mica - never been able to find one myself, or some Westinghouse types.

Dec 19, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #1,620 of 6,436
How is the Lyr 3? Did you ever own a 1 or 2 to put it up against? I know 6SN7s are highly regarded and it is neat you can roll them in the 3 sans adapters. Not that I have the money *sigh*

Love the Lyr 3. It's my first Lyr, upgrading to it from the Vali 2 which was my first (ever) headphone amp. The Lyr 3 is quite a bit better as you'd expect, but the Vali 2 needs no excuses -- it's a great sounding amp period, and even greater given it's selling price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back