Vali 2 tube rolling
Dec 20, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,636 of 6,436
Recommendations for first tube for Vali 2 plz.
New stock vs NOS btw?

Right out of the chute, I went for the brand new Telefunken E88CC-TK, $48 from TF direct, and I cannot express just how lovely it sounds in HPs.

I have a 6SN7 adapter and am waiting on a socket saver to try a couple new 6SN7s I have acquired.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #1,637 of 6,436
Recommendations for first tube for Vali 2 plz.
New stock vs NOS btw?
Many people like electro-harmonix 6922EH. I started rolling it today. AKG K702

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #1,638 of 6,436
Very true and a risk when rolling. You really don't know if a great tube will sound good.

For what it's worth, if anyone here is using HE400Is, I believe they are quite picky. I'd be prepared to shop around the tube market :)

I have the 400i and I'd hardly call them picky. At the risk of destroying any audiophile credibility I have, I really can't hear any major differences between tubes using the Vali2/400i combo(one of the major reasons I haven't been rushing to buy more tubes). On my lowly Little Bear amp the RCA 6189 blackplate sounds rather uninspired compared to the Yugofunken 12au7 through the 400i. The Vali on the other hand… they pretty much sound the same. This is the big drawback with the Vali2 using negative feedback IMO. I wouldn't say any of the other tubes I own sound in anyway bad with the 400i either.

Isn't the biggest problem trying to run a 6cg7 in the Lyr the heater current? I thought the Lyr couldn't push enough current for those types of tubes

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,639 of 6,436
I have the 400i and I'd hardly call them picky. At the risk of destroying any audiophile credibility I have, I really can't hear any major differences between tubes using the Vali2/400i combo(one of the major reasons I haven't been rushing to buy more tubes). On my lowly Little Bear amp the RCA 6189 blackplate sounds rather uninspired compared to the Yugofunken 12au7 through the 400i. The Vali on the other hand… they pretty much sound the same. This is the big drawback with the Vali2 using negative feedback IMO. I wouldn't say any of the other tubes I own sound in anyway bad with the 400i either.

Isn't the biggest problem trying to run a 6cg7 in the Lyr the heater current? I thought the Lyr couldn't push enough current for those types of tubes
Are you using high or low gain? I understand using low gain removes more tubiness than high gain.

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #1,640 of 6,436

Maybe it was just my ears then. I have a lot of sensitivity to peaks around 6Khz and 7Khz. I could definitely tell when a tube upset that, especially with the 400i. Could also hear sound stage a bit, along with how warm the bass was. I would agree though...Vali honestly sounded much more linear than my Lyr 2 and let less shine through. I did really like it though.

And yes, you can't technically run the 6CG7 in Lyr 2, but you could in Lyr 1. I am contemplating pushing the rated current by ~4% to run an ECC85. Apparently the RFT ECC85 is really good. I can't see ~4% being the straw that breaks the camels back.

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,641 of 6,436
Are you using high or low gain? I understand using low gain removes more tubiness than high gain.

I've heard the same. I mostly try to run high gain, but none of the headphones I own are that hard to drive so the volume rarely gets past 9 o'clock. IEMs on the other hand, low gain is mandatory - too much noise otherwise (surprisingly IEMs sound really good on the Vali2)

Maybe it was just my ears then. I have a lot of sensitivity to peaks around 6Khz and 7Khz. I could definitely tell when a tube upset that, especially with the 400i. Could also hear sound stage a bit, along with how warm the bass was. I would agree though...Vali honestly sounded much more linear than my Lyr 2 and let less shine through. I did really like it though.

And yes, you can't technically run the 6CG7 in Lyr 2, but you could in Lyr 1. I am contemplating pushing the rated current by ~4% to run an ECC85. Apparently the RFT ECC85 is really good. I can't see ~4% being the straw that breaks the camels back.

I don't think anything bad can actually happen by running a higher rated tube other than it not working. What actually does happen is anybody's guess. My Little Bear amps are very stuck to 300mA. When I tried plugging a 5670 tube (350mA) into it, the bias was way out of whack - one side I could get 13v the other side was <18v. Needless to say it sounded really bad. But the tube and amp survived…

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #1,642 of 6,436
I've heard the same. I mostly try to run high gain, but none of the headphones I own are that hard to drive so the volume rarely gets past 9 o'clock. IEMs on the other hand, low gain is mandatory - too much noise otherwise (surprisingly IEMs sound really good on the Vali2.
I'll give that a shot. Just got to dig out the right cable and adapter.

Dec 20, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,644 of 6,436
Just tried the Vali with a pair of KZ ZS6s. Better than I remember them.

I find IEMs sound sooo much bigger through the Vali than any of my portable amps. I don't have a SS desktop amp to compare with though - no desire to get one either now.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,647 of 6,436
Yes, the Vali has a wider sound stage and is more musical than either the Magni or Nano BL. Curious.

I actually never used the Vali with my ZS6, as soon as I got my400I the ZS6 was relegated to mobile use. I should try them on the Lyr. Does the Vali even get quiet enough?

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #1,650 of 6,436
My 6sn7gt mouse ears got delivered this morning but appears to have been stolen out of my mailbox. I hope the thief has an amp to put it in. Anyway, I ordered another off ebay just now.

Bummer. Read on another thread a few days ago that a fellow had his Liquid Platnium amp stolen from his front door. We really need to start turning the tables on these idiots. Leave bait deliveries for them to steal. Boxes full of dogs**t, rotting meat, ebola…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back