Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
May 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #513 of 907
  Has anyone considered/tried using tube socket extensions in their Valhalla 2..? 

I would highly recommend them, even if you are not changing tubes often.

I noticed inconsistency in sound with my amp which was due to poor tube pins contact. Guess i was not inserting tubes in properly all the time. It was very noticeable in lower freq in particular: bass would sometimes be lifeless, other times i put tubes in, it was groovy.

Socket extensions solved that problem with their tight fit. Tubes are now consistently sounding at their "best" :) .

Extenders did not affect sound in any other way as far as i can tell. They were cheap, made tubes look beautiful and easier to replace.Amp also runs less hot than before.

I got mine here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Bakelite-9Pin-Tester-Saver-Tube-Socket-for-12AX7-12AU7-6DJ8-7025-12AX7B-etc-/201101126052?

May 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #514 of 907
I'd like to know at which volume levels do you guys listen to music with Valhalla 2 using HD-650. I've been told that 10 o'clock should be enough power to kill my ears, but mine doesn't do that even at 3 o'clock when on stock tubes and high gain. After plugging in the Lyr tubes things got a bit louder (and brighter) - now the 1 o'clock seems to be nice and relatively loud spot, but, still, at this point it should probably rip my ears off.

As I was afraid that pushing the knob to the max wouldn't be safe, I asked the Schiit about this and got the answer that it won't hurt my amp. As of now I tried three different sources (all analog headphone-outs) and nothing changed - actually the tablet made the amp even more quiet. 

I'm not complaining here. I don't mind pushing the amp to the limits, as long as it works and sounds good - which it does (plus, after reading an article about gain, I tried switching to low gain and it really improved the clarity of sound comparing to high gain, but the sound isn't that punchy anymore). So, out of curiosity, what could be the problem here?

May 21, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #515 of 907
  I'd like to know at which volume levels do you guys listen to music with Valhalla 2 using HD-650. I've been told that 10 o'clock should be enough power to kill my ears, but mine doesn't do that even at 3 o'clock when on stock tubes and high gain. After plugging in the Lyr tubes things got a bit louder (and brighter) - now the 1 o'clock seems to be nice and relatively loud spot, but, still, at this point it should probably rip my ears off.

As I was afraid that pushing the knob to the max wouldn't be safe, I asked the Schiit about this and got the answer that it won't hurt my amp. As of now I tried three different sources (all analog headphone-outs) and nothing changed - actually the tablet made the amp even more quiet. 

I'm not complaining here. I don't mind pushing the amp to the limits, as long as it works and sounds good - which it does (plus, after reading an article about gain, I tried switching to low gain and it really improved the clarity of sound comparing to high gain, but the sound isn't that punchy anymore). So, out of curiosity, what could be the problem here?

Perfectly normal. The Valhalla 2 is designed to provide full output with at least a 1.5 V input. DACs typically provide 1.5 V and CD players are closer to 2 V.  Your sources do not provide enough drive to produce full output of the Valhalla. 

Set the Valhalla's volume to whatever is comfortable for you.  The Valhalla can't be hurt by a low level input.

May 21, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #516 of 907
If there isn't any digital attenuation (i.e. from Windows, your media player, etc.), I'm sensing your DAC/source (i.e. tablet, line/headphone out from your laptop) has REALLY low output.. well below 1v, probably.. that's the only way I think you could have that kind of play on the V2's volume pot and not destroy your ears.

May 21, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #518 of 907
May 21, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #519 of 907
I have a pair of HD800's and DT990's 600 ohm and often put the volume pot to 2 o'clock to reach desired levels when playing from my Rega RP40 to Mani to Valhalla 2 on high gain. When I use the V2 as a pre amp to my M-125 monoblocks to my speakers I can't go past 10 o'clock.
Just got in a pair of 6H23 starting the burn in.

May 22, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #520 of 907
As I'm waiting for the Bifrost Uber to come, I've tested the amp using the following sources:

- Laptop Acer Extensa with onboard Realtek HD Audio
- Netbook Packard Bell with onboard Realtek HD Audio (but slightly newer codec)
- old portable Sony Walkman CD Player
- Dell Venue 7 tablet

These are all headphone-out only devices. At 12 o'clock the Valhalla 2 seems to be almost as loud as when I use my HD-650s unamped directly from the sources mentioned above. Before I changed the tubes from stock to Lyr it was even more quiet. The worst case is with the tablet - it's super quiet and it lacks bass comparing to other devices. 

May 22, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #521 of 907
Remember to always have your software at max volume. With the bifrost incoming and volumed maxed on you pc/tablet/etc. you won't have this problem 
wink.gif

May 25, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #524 of 907
Bifrost Uber into Valhalla 2, driving Beyer T1.
Usually the pot in 9:00 ~ 11:00, unless playing albums with low volume.
BTW, both of my 2 24bit albums has lower volume. Not sure if there's a relation though.

May 26, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #525 of 907
  Bifrost Uber into Valhalla 2, driving Beyer T1.
Usually the pot in 9:00 ~ 11:00, unless playing albums with low volume.
BTW, both of my 2 24bit albums has lower volume. Not sure if there's a relation though.

I have the exact combo How do you like it. I had to get some really nice tubes to really make it sing. But ITs a stunning combo. I have a large 24bit collection so very happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back