Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
May 27, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #526 of 907

I have the exact combo How do you like it. I had to get some really nice tubes to really make it sing. But ITs a stunning combo. I have a large 24bit collection so very happy camper.

I'm using stock tubes now, and have no idea about tubes lol
My music genres are: classical, folk metal, J-pop, movie/anime soundtracks, etc.
So I think it's good to keep the sound signature neutral.
Any suggestion? welcome :wink:

May 27, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #527 of 907
  I'm using stock tubes now, and have no idea about tubes lol
My music genres are: classical, folk metal, J-pop, movie/anime soundtracks, etc.
So I think it's good to keep the sound signature neutral.
Any suggestion? welcome :wink:

I am using the Telefunkan ULM diamond ones there about 400 a pair but man it makes the Valhalla sing. I also really like the Mullards the british ones about half the cost of the telefunkans . For the output tubes I love the Voskhod Rocket's there about $40 and sound liquid smooth and very musical. I am into an eclectic amount of music to. Everything from Orchestral to prog rock as well. My combination sounds a lot more expensive than it is.

May 27, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #528 of 907

I am using the Telefunkan ULM diamond ones there about 400 a pair but man it makes the Valhalla sing. I also really like the Mullards the british ones about half the cost of the telefunkans . For the output tubes I love the Voskhod Rocket's there about $40 and sound liquid smooth and very musical. I am into an eclectic amount of music to. Everything from Orchestral to prog rock as well. My combination sounds a lot more expensive than it is.

OK thanks!

May 31, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #529 of 907
Just pulled the trigger on a Valhalla 2! I'm really excited to hear it compared to my Little Dot MK III that I've had for almost a decade now. I haven't ordered any additional tubes yet. I figure I'll try it stock for a while before I do any rolling. Although I might roll in my 6H6P-IR power tubes from the Little Dot.

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #530 of 907
  Just pulled the trigger on a Valhalla 2! I'm really excited to hear it compared to my Little Dot MK III that I've had for almost a decade now. I haven't ordered any additional tubes yet. I figure I'll try it stock for a while before I do any rolling. Although I might roll in my 6H6P-IR power tubes from the Little Dot.

You're gonna love it!

As for the tubes, I've tried to roll both 6922 and 6N6P. The stock are really really good. But if you venture into tube rolling on the pre-tubes, I would recommend to try to find some Russian 6H23p(-EB) from pre 80's (around 50$ for matched pair). Excellent tube for the price. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #531 of 907
Grabbed one of these and bifrost dac to sit between my soundcard and cans and have spent a bit of time on it, sounds great but I'm wondering if I there might be some tubes that'll squeeze a little more bass out of it?  I'm new to tubes so very interested in what a change in tubes can do with the sound, just not sure what to buy?

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #532 of 907
I recently bought a Valhalla 2 amp. It is the best purchase made in recent couple years. As intended, it works very well with my high impedance phones. In fact, it is the best tube amp of mine to work with my Byerdynamic T1. 

As it is, this amp is HOT, physically. Of course, the 4 tubes generate some heat as expected. In addition, the two transformers are also very hot. Further, I think the Valhalla 2' box can have some improvements for reducing the temperature of the amp. For now, I am running this amp without the black back panel. Without this back panel, heat generated inside the amp can be easily dissipated into the ambiance and the amp's working temperature is much lower. In this way, it is also easier for me to swap tubes.

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #533 of 907
  I recently bought a Valhalla 2 amp. It is the best purchase made in recent couple years. As intended, it works very well with my high impedance phones. In fact, it is the best tube amp of mine to work with my Byerdynamic T1. 

As it is, this amp is HOT, physically. Of course, the 4 tubes generate some heat as expected. In addition, the two transformers are also very hot. Further, I think the Valhalla 2' box can have some improvements for reducing the temperature of the amp. For now, I am running this amp without the black back panel. Without this back panel, heat generated inside the amp can be easily dissipated into the ambiance and the amp's working temperature is much lower. In this way, it is also easier for me to swaps tubes.

You of course can do that if you want, but according to Jason Stoddard in his posts, all temps are WELL within specs for the components and nothing to worry about.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #534 of 907

You of course can do that if you want, but according to Jason Stoddard in his posts, all temps are WELL within specs for the components and nothing to worry about.

Sure, I understand that a hot amp does not mean it is not a good performing amp and does not mean it is not a reliable amp. My observation just indicates that this amp is much hotter than my other tube amps. 

Also, I do not recommend what I did unless you are really sure/confident about what you are doing. Another issue is that doing so might void your warranty. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #535 of 907

As it is, this amp is HOT, physically. Of course, the 4 tubes generate some heat as expected. In addition, the two transformers are also very hot. Further, I think the Valhalla 2' box can have some improvements for reducing the temperature of the amp. For now, I am running this amp without the black back panel. Without this back panel, heat generated inside the amp can be easily dissipated into the ambiance and the amp's working temperature is much lower. In this way, it is also easier for me to swaps tubes.

I have a Valhalla also.  I was surprised at how warm it got.  It runs warmer than my MP-301 which is Class A with a pair of EL34s.  The V is compact, which is nice.  But even the Volume knob gets hot.  It reminds me of my older Audio Alchemy Class A SS amp.  You could almost fry an egg on top of it before I added some 1 inch high heatsinks to it.  But as noted, I'm sure the Schiit guys have the thermal profile accommodated.  It's just a neat amp - glad I got one.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #536 of 907
Okay I've had the Valhalla 2 for a couple of hours now. My initial findings versus my Little Dot MK III are a lot better control of the bass with my HD 650. Greater detail or transparency. The MK III is know for being very tubey or soft. The Valhalla 2 is none of that. The MK III is a Lipizzaner stallion prancing around. The Valhalla 2 is a Clydesdale. The treble is less rolled off up top which is nice. Mids are less "lush" sounding and a lot more neutral. Male vocals still sound real good; I haven't listened to any female vocals yet to comment on them. My favorite detail is the potentiometer! It's a whole hell of a lot more linear than the MK III's. Nice smooth gradual increase. Where the MK III God real loud real quick so there wasn't much play to it.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #537 of 907
It's quiet in here!

Anyway, I just got el cheapo socket savers in the mail (cheapest from eBay... $9 for four pieces!). I was a bit worried because I saw some posts where people noticed sound degration, noise, etc. But they are working great. They look really cool and lower the temps of the amp.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #538 of 907
Aaaand I spoke too soon! There is actually quite a bit of a bass hum and background static with the socket savers, even with the RCA cables disconnected. Just noticed when I listened to music with high dynamic range. Oh poo. 
triportsad.gif

It really stinks that we only have the cheap eBay sockets or the super expensive Tube mongers, nothing in between.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #539 of 907
  Aaaand I spoke too soon! There is actually quite a bit of a bass hum and background static with the socket savers, even with the RCA cables disconnected. Just noticed when I listened to music with high dynamic range. Oh poo. 
triportsad.gif

It really stinks that we only have the cheap eBay sockets or the super expensive Tube mongers, nothing in between.

There's a way to get ZERO noise and hum, for even less than you paid for the cheap eBay socket extenders.  Can you already guess what I'm going to recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back