Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Aug 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #542 of 907
Has anyone ever tried the Valhalla 2 with any of the Grados, AKGs or Hifimans? Are they any good with them. Curious as to what the bass performance on these headphones sound like, compared with the Asgard 2 or the Lyr 2? Any subjective thoughts on these headphones with the Valhalla 2?

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #543 of 907
  Has anyone ever tried the Valhalla 2 with any of the Grados, AKGs or Hifimans? Are they any good with them. Curious as to what the bass performance on these headphones sound like, compared with the Asgard 2 or the Lyr 2? Any subjective thoughts on these headphones with the Valhalla 2?

I've tried with Hifimans. With HE500 they get up to a good volume level, but the bass gets distorted when you push it hard and you lose quite a bit of dynamics. With more efficient planars like the HE560 it doesn't sound too bad. You get the same problems as the HE500 except at a smaller scale. 

Magni, Emotiva Mini X, and Lyr (I had first gen) solved all those issues. I personally prefer it as Lyr>Emotiva>Magni. They all have power but Magni is a bit bright sounding and the Emotiva is noisy (it's a speaker amp). 

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #544 of 907

I've tried Grado Rs1e and Hifiman 400i on the Valhalla2. It works fine on them (use low gain setting). I disliked the Grado on any amp but YMMV.
The 400i was quite good on the V2 but not quite as good on it as the Sennheiser 600 or 650, which are especially well suited for the amp because of their 300 ohm impedance.
(Edit: I therefore suspected that V2 was not the ideal amp for the 400i.)

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #545 of 907
Wondering what's everybody's favourite cans for the Valhalla these days. Senn's and Beyer's obviously at the top of the list, but has anyone found any other headphones that sync well with the Valhalla? Been tough finding high impedance phones to match.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #555 of 907
I am currently having an issue with my Valhalla 2 connected via pre-out to my Arcam Diva A85 in power amp mode, I get DC offset errors, any suggestions or any recommendations for dedicated alternative power amps, ones that are a little less sensitive etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back