Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Dec 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #287 of 907
Is the Cable problem true for all the cans by HiFiMan? Or is it just their lower end products? I am looking to get the He-560 in the near future. My current use is Beer DT990 600 ohm out of a Schiit M/M stack.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #288 of 907
Is the Cable problem true for all the cans by HiFiMan? Or is it just their lower end products? I am looking to get the He-560 in the near future. My current use is Beer DT990 600 ohm out of a Schiit M/M stack.

The cable does not sound bad. It is just really stiff and very microphonic. The 300 is the only model who has it though.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #289 of 907

@amnesiac75 I have the Asgard 2 and the sennheiser HD 600s, which I think is a wonderful pairing, and I'm waiting on a Valhalla 2 from Schiit. I'll post some initial impressions between the amps, once I receive it (unfortunately, though, per Alex from Schiit on the Schiit Happened thread, that still might be a while).

I too would love to hear your impressions.  I thought of ordering a Valhalla 2 just now in order to make the comparison myself, but it looks like they are backordered for a while.  Hope you get your Valhalla 2 soon!

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #291 of 907
The cable does not sound bad. It is just really stiff and very microphonic. The 300 is the only model who has it though.

Agree, it sounded fine if one does not move.  It was my understanding that it came on the later models of the HE300, and on the HE500's.  It is still sold on their website ($60) as 

"HiFiMAN Silver coated copper cable
(for HE-300/HE-500)"

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #293 of 907
Wanted to comment here to convey just how awesome this amp is with my HD650's.  

Quick rundown of the improvements over the Magni:

• Bass is much more impactful and dynamic with no added bloat. Sub-bass has been boosted nicely.

• Treble is clearer. If you want to use a phrase like the "the veil is lifted" you can insert it hear.  I won't quite go so far as to say that their was a huge veil in the first place, but this V2 opens up the top to reveal the perfect level of treble shine that stops short of splashiness or harshness.

• Resolution is MUCH better.  I am somewhat fixated on resolution, and the resolving power is incredible with this amp.  Details are being exposed that I never knew where there before in my music.

• Imaging is pretty phenomenal.  Before this amp I though the soundstage and imaging on the HD650 was good, but not amazing.  Turns out it wasn't the cans, but the amp I was using.  Improvements are incredible and immediately obvious.

• Tonality is VERY natural and engaging. Simultaneously, there is an effortless smoothness that I think comes from the tubes. 

All in all, I really can't imagine the HD650's sounding much better than this.  I can see perhaps upgrading my DAC in the future, but the Valhalla 2 is definitely sticking around permanently. 

Whoever says that the 650's are boring needs to listen to them with this amp!

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #294 of 907
Does anyone have anything to say to this, just found on reddit? Or are those guys paranoid?

Found the following from the original Asgard DC problem youtube video. Some guy still gets diaphragm movement when powering on / off his Valhalla 2. He took some measurements and found the following DC spikes:

Peak DC Voltage when turning

on: -0.103v ~ 2.799v

off: -2.246v ~ 0.971v

In that thread of comment, apparently someone else also reported similar problems.

Jason replied, offered a return. Thoughts?

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #295 of 907
  Does anyone have anything to say to this, just found on reddit? Or are those guys paranoid?

Found the following from the original Asgard DC problem youtube video. Some guy still gets diaphragm movement when powering on / off his Valhalla 2. He took some measurements and found the following DC spikes:

Peak DC Voltage when turning

on: -0.103v ~ 2.799v

off: -2.246v ~ 0.971v

In that thread of comment, apparently someone else also reported similar problems.

Jason replied, offered a return. Thoughts?

Following the proper process for powering-up/down a amp, I unplug my headphones each time.  From what I understood, there shouldn't be a spike because the DC energy loads/dissipates gradually from the amp.  I powered my V2 off with headphones plugged in and I just heard a slight ping from the tubes, but no pop or crinkle.

Do you have this amp already or are you just looking?

I really wouldn't let this "issue" discourage you from the amazing experience that this amp offers with the right headphones. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #296 of 907

Thanks for the reply. I'm just looking, but I was extremely close to pulling the trigger today. 

So is the proper procedure to plug / unplug while the amp is on, not leaving it plugged while powering on and off? And you are saying that it should be fine even if I leave the phone there all the time?

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #297 of 907

No problem! My understanding is that the safest way to power on/off an amp is the following:

Power on amplifier (Headphones unplugged) ---> Wait around 20 seconds for tubes to warm up ---> Plug in headphones (With volume knob turned completely down) ---> Adjust volume and enjoy!
When ready to power down: Turn down volume ---> Unplug headphones ---> Turn amp off.

This should completely avoid any danger, real or imagined, to your headphones. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken about the safest procedure. :)  The company selling the amp says that they should be fine left plugged in all the time, but I still use the routine above for an extra level of safety. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #298 of 907

Perfect, thanks for the very informative reply! From your profile, I see that you are pairing Valhalla 2 with HD650, fed in by a Modi? I wonder if the Modi stacks nicely on the left side of the Valhalla 2? Also, have you been able to try the Valhalla 2 with K712 (owned previously)?

Thanks again!

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #299 of 907

Yep! The Modi feeding the Valhalla 2 sounds really nice.  The Modi is a bit too large to stack on top of the V2 if that is what you meant in your question.  Even if it was, I wouldn't want to risk EM interference with the tubes by placing everything so close.  You could really place the Modi almost anywhere near your computer, even hidden if you so chose.  I use a 6ft RCA cable and a 6ft USB cable.

I was unable to try the K712 with the Valhalla 2 because I returned them with a defect that caused severe bass rattle.  They did sound really nice with orchestral music, but a bit too much treble for my taste.  Hypothetically, they wouldn't be the best match for the V2 because they are low impedance AND low efficiency. This means they need an amp that can push them hard at their impedance level, and the Valhalla 2 will only give them a fraction of what a solid state amp like the Magni or a hybrid amp like the Vali or Lyr will provide.

All things considered the HD650 with the Valhalla 2 is pretty much my ideal sound balance.  This doesn't mean that the same will hold true for you, but I can say that I'm thrilled with the set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back