Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Dec 7, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #271 of 907
  What's the next step up from Valhalla 2 with just the HD800? I really like its neutral signature and black background for reference. Who has stepped up to a $700-800ish tube amp and can offer insight on comparisons?

I can probably get a used Decware CSP3 or WA6SE with xmas $. 

You don't need a tube amp to get smooth and neutral. The TEAC HA-501 is very smooth and linear, with a completely black background. I've read around the internet that many people like it it with the HD800.  I love it with any headphone I plug into it.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #272 of 907
I have Valhalla 2; haven't heard the original Valhalla. But the 2 has the low/high gain switch, which makes it more versatile for more headphone choices. And variable RCA outs, for use as a preamp or to directly drive powered speakers.

Ahh I see, but would you know if the sound signature/tone has changed between the first and second? And if it has, is it significant or negligible?

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #275 of 907

There is very good synergy between the 600 and Val 2. I just got a crack on loan and I plan to do some testing. But I love how the pairing sound with the 600/Val 2 right now. The resolution and tone are just top notch. This is all with stock tubes.

I just learned that I can roll tubes from lyr to the Val 2 on the driver side. This will open up some options for me this week to experiment with. Short answer, this is a very enjoyable combo for me. 

Hey Matt.  Awesome to know that there is a interesting cheap rolling option from the manufacturer.  How would you compare stock valhalla 2 tubes to the 6BZ7 tubes that come with the Lyr?  Is it worth purchasing as an upgrade/sidegrade?  If i purchase the Vahalla 2 and the Lyr tubes are better I would rather just buy everything at one time.

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #276 of 907
  Will the Valhalla 2 be the right choice for my HE-300?

Yes.  Good amp good phones.  Use the low gain setting on the amp.

(When first got the HE300, I thought it was weird sounding, compared to HE400i and HD600.  Now I'm used to it and have a higher opinion.  No idea if it needed burn-in, or if it's just the listener)

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #277 of 907

Hey Matt.  Awesome to know that there is a interesting cheap rolling option from the manufacturer.  How would you compare stock valhalla 2 tubes to the 6BZ7 tubes that come with the Lyr?  Is it worth purchasing as an upgrade/sidegrade?  If i purchase the Vahalla 2 and the Lyr tubes are better I would rather just buy everything at one time.

It's good to see this amp getting some of the recognition and accolades that it deserves. Honestly though, all of the tube rolling that I did with the Val 2 produced very subtle changes. The stock tubes are very good...and free. 
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #278 of 907
Yes.  Good amp good phones.  Use the low gain setting on the amp.

(When first got the HE300, I thought it was weird sounding, compared to HE400i and HD600.  Now I'm used to it and have a higher opinion.  No idea if it needed burn-in, or if it's just the listener)

Allright thanks for the info. It will be a great Christmas!

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #280 of 907
Amazon has  the Valhalla 2 (B-stock) on sale for only $300.00!  Just thought I would let everyone here know since there are only 2 left. :wink:

On the side discussion regarding the he300, I was oddly annoyed by the sound signature.. They were very much inferior to the K712's I had just returned (because of a defect).  They do quite a bit right for their price but I think the Hifiman sound sig just doesn't suit me well. Glad y'all are enjoying them though! Different likes and dislikes are what keeps the personal audio field interesting.  

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #281 of 907
Amazon has  the Valhalla 2 (B-stock) on sale for only $300.00!  Just thought I would let everyone here know since there are only 2 left. :wink:

On the side discussion regarding the he300, I was oddly annoyed by the sound signature.. They were very much inferior to the K712's I had just returned (because of a defect).  They do quite a bit right for their price but I think the Hifiman sound sig just doesn't suit me well. Glad y'all are enjoying them though! Different likes and dislikes are what keeps the personal audio field interesting.  
I almost yanked them off my head when I first had them and compared them to the 400i & the hd600. There was a hollowness there. However, after burn-in, or "burn-in", and switching them to a different source and keeping them far away from the hd600, I now appreciate them more. They are full range and give a sense of space. I think they compete with anything at their current $150 price level. Pretty comfortable too. The silver coated copper cable that the later models came with is clumsy and microphonic, and I replaced that with a more sensible one.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #282 of 907

LOL. I think that the terrible cable was part of my dislike of the headphones.  It's like they found the stiffest, most microphonic cable possible and decided to go for it. The guy who runs Hifiman has insisted that cable upgrades are one of the easiest ways to upgrade a headphone's sound... 
blink.gif
.  Makes me think that perhaps the decisions being made aren't the most informed.

Speaking to the topic at hand, with the HE300's being low impedance headphones did you find that they work well with the Valhalla 2?  I really enjoy my NAD HP50's and am interested in whether I should keep my Magni once my Valhalla 2 gets in. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #283 of 907

in the same time, I can't find it new in EU... too sad

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #285 of 907
LOL. I think that the terrible cable was part of my dislike of the headphones.  It's like they found the stiffest, most microphonic cable possible and decided to go for it. The guy who runs Hifiman has insisted that cable upgrades are one of the easiest ways to upgrade a headphone's sound... :blink: .  Makes me think that perhaps the decisions being made aren't the most informed.

Speaking to the topic at hand, with the HE300's being low impedance headphones did you find that they work well with the Valhalla 2?  I really enjoy my NAD HP50's and am interested in whether I should keep my Magni once my Valhalla 2 gets in. 

Yes, worked well on the Valhalla 2. Naturally I uses the low gain setting on the amp.
I also like the hp50's a lot. I mostly used mine straight out if an iPhone and they made it sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back