Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Dec 21, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #301 of 907
No problem! My understanding is that the safest way to power on/off an amp is the following:

Power on amplifier (Headphones unplugged) ---> Wait around 20 seconds for tubes to warm up ---> Plug in headphones (With volume knob turned completely down) ---> Adjust volume and enjoy!
When ready to power down: Turn down volume ---> Unplug headphones ---> Turn amp off.

This should completely avoid any danger, real or imagined, to your headphones. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken about the safest procedure. :)  The company selling the amp says that they should be fine left plugged in all the time, but I still use the routine above for an extra level of safety. 
I ask schiit about my valhalla 1 when I first bought it and they said I could leave the headphones plugged in when powering on/off and for the 8 months I used it that's just what I did and never had any problems. I also left the headphones plugged in until the blue led faded to black ( usually around 10-20 min) I would guess that in 8 months I powered up/down at least 200 times and all my headphones still work perfectly.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #302 of 907
Boo. Tried it with the HD700's.. Next to Sennheiser's HDVA600, it was glassy, and slightly harsh. Got on my **** after a while. Thats my two cents. So I bought the Senn amp:)

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #303 of 907
I am looking to get my first tube amp. Would someone be able to describe the difference between the Vali, Valhalla (which I can get used for $235) and the Valhalla 2? I use Senn HD600's and mostly listen to jazz and classical. Also, any recommendation of a DAC to pair with one of them?

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #304 of 907
  I am looking to get my first tube amp. Would someone be able to describe the difference between the Vali, Valhalla (which I can get used for $235) and the Valhalla 2? I use Senn HD600's and mostly listen to jazz and classical. Also, any recommendation of a DAC to pair with one of them?

I have the Valhalla 2 . It is a full tube amp and sounds wonderful. I paired it with a Bifrost uber DAC its a fantastic pairing. The Vali I don't own so I can't comment.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #308 of 907

^  this, I'm in the same situation where i would go with used Valhalla 1 for my HD650. Can someone help us out?

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #312 of 907
  Boo. Tried it with the HD700's.. Next to Sennheiser's HDVA600, it was glassy, and slightly harsh. Got on my **** after a while. Thats my two cents. So I bought the Senn Congrats 

Congrats on the Sennheiser amp!!! I have the HD700s also and have been reading all the reviews to see which is the best amp to go with. I was also looking at the oppo HA-1. Any idea on that one or is it better to go with separate amp and separate dac???

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #313 of 907
  Congrats on the Sennheiser amp!!! I have the HD700s also and have been reading all the reviews to see which is the best amp to go with. I was also looking at the oppo HA-1. Any idea on that one or is it better to go with separate amp and separate dac???

Depends HDVD800 has a good dac. But personally I'd buy HDVA 600 and Meridian Director.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #315 of 907
Hey guys,
I just got notice today that my V2 shipped today; I will be pairing it with a Modi 2 Uber DAC. This will primarily be a bedroom office system, for use when I am working at the computer. 

Going to roll some tubes in it; it was nice to read of the various reports of folks that rolled tubes into their own units. First thing is I'll roll in some 6922s as I have some around for my Conrad-Johnson tube gear for my loudspeaker based system. But I think I will probably end up with Ediswans as I have them in my CJ LP70S power amp, and they are really very nice once they burn in. 

Interested in trying those Novosibirsk 6N6Ps. 

Side note: my C-J preamp uses 6H30s, also a Russian military tube, and found the Reflektor "DR" models a bit step up over the stock EH tubes. Might look to see if there is a analogous tube for 6N6P applications. 

My Valhalla 2 should be in a few days, I will be using it with my Senn HD600s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back