V6 or M50?
Aug 28, 2011 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vvackdavid

New Head-Fier
I can get a pair of sony v6's for a little less than 70 bucks, and a pair of new m50's for around 120... which gives me the most bang for my buck? Is the M50 so much better that it's worth the other 50 bucks? Thanks!

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 10
Yes, it's worth the extra cash. I've found it to have better mids, comfort and a better soundstage.
Some say the V6 has great mids, but my ears hear a slight recession somewhere. Also, why on earth do I find the V6 bass heavy, but the M50's bass was a little bit better? Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me! I think I remember the M50 having less mid-bass as well.

M50 is a lot less portable though. Strangely enough I've found the 7506 sounds different than the V6. Maybe my ears just changed. Who knows.

M50 is considered bass heavy it seems, so if you don't like that, I'd avoid them. My pair was, but the white box versions are said to be more balanced perhaps?

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 10
Really I will always say avoid the MDR V6.
Dry lifeless sound.
A massive spike in the 2k region.
Inaccurate, harsh, gross sound.

Look at something else I haven't heard other headphones at $70 range but the Shure 440 which is better than the v6 could ever hope to be.
A bunch of other headphones are also in that price range I haven't heard any of them but I doubt any of them are as bad as the V6.
Can't say anything for the M50 never heard them.

Really don't understand why people still even go for the MDR V6.
It's something you got suckered into buying back in the early 90's before the internet.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 10
And I looked into the V6 only because of the rediculous amount of positive reviews. If there's anything better in or around the 100 dollar range, please point me in the right direction.

Uh. In case this matters- I'm looking for closed over ear headphones like the one I mentioned, Approx. 100$ and I listen to All kinds of music...from punk to classic. Oh and aesthetics would be nice :)

And thank you guys sooo much for the quick responses. I really appreciate it and had no idea that the users her were so active. Thanks alot!

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 10
Check ebay seller bd-usa (if you are in the states) from time to time because they post refurb dt770/80 pro for $90 shipped. It seems as though they post batches every couple weeks, but YMMV.

A lot of head-fiers were able to nab these:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566559/dt-770-pro-80-ohms-refurbished-for-90-bd-has-4-more-to-sell

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Do you have a Guitar Center in your area? If so I'd suggest seeing if you can demo a KRK KNS-6400.
They're one of my favorites right now and they're $99. It has a very balanced signature. There's some bass impact, but it's not really bass heavy.
You can even upgrade it with memory foam pads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back