V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
May 11, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #1,187 of 1,475
i'm sorry but i'm completely new to this...what exactly is the stress relief? my understanding is it's the part that prevents the 90° strain, but it seems to be a component inside the plug?

in addition i was searching for where to purchase the neutrik (you said the switchcraft doesn't have strain relief?) but i can't find an online dealer when i try to google it.

May 11, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #1,188 of 1,475
Assuming you're from the USA, Neutrik plugs should be available at Radio Shack and similar stores. Certainly most musician- and guitar stores should have them, too. On eBay you can find them, too.

The strain relief in the angled Neutrik plugs is the white plastic clamp inside that secures the cable in place, and the outer black rubber ring at the end of the plug helps with cable damages when bending the cable too much.

The Switchcraft plugs only have a simple metal clamp inside that doesn't look as reliable as Neutrik's strain relief mechanism.

EDIT: An American friend of mine bought them here: http://www.connecticc.com/

May 11, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #1,189 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by azrael201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in addition i was searching for where to purchase the neutrik (you said the switchcraft doesn't have strain relief?) but i can't find an online dealer when i try to google it.

Parts Express and Markertek are some good options also, and they provide shipping via USPS (if that matters to you).

May 11, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #1,190 of 1,475
thanks a lot guys!

i will see which place is cheapest and i'll have to find a solder somewhere. i haven't solder anything in a long long time but i can just solder the wire directly to the neutrik plug (ie i don't need something to melt?)

May 14, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #1,191 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just a quick update (i've been drowned by developing our new product lines)...

1) new vibes have a BLACK leather pouch, I love gold, but hey ya'll asked and we delivered!
2) all current Red Roxx and some Flashblacks have new strain relief plug as people requested. Gunmetals are coming ~May 21st.

we now sell A LOT of units as one of the top selling headphones, as a PURE NUMBERS GAME (like stock earbuds) we will have BOTH more overall positive and negative experiences as people use their products many months. Like a newspaper not reporting it was a beautiful day, the "working as advertised" for the many thousand+ Vibe users just isnt "newsworthy". We've determined a high percentage of any problems are indeed from unexpected use/abuse. At the office, we have used many Vibes, and havent ever been able to break a single one, but that doesnt mean these, like any headphone, arent small microelectronics.

3) new products are launching ~June 1st, any guesses?!!! this is why I've been so secluded and secretive
smily_headphones1.gif

hope ya'll are well in the community, I hope to get back in touch soon... but until then- play hard, rock harder...

PS - if I cannot answer PMs its because of our growth, please communicate with our team at v-moda.com, thanks!

-val

OH CRAP.

I just bought these a month ago. If I had known that I could get them with the built in stress relief plug I would have waited.

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

May 17, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #1,192 of 1,475
May 18, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #1,193 of 1,475
yeah, my cord tore, but i bought them used off ebay, so i've got no shot at a warranty... oh well. back to the creative ep-630's or the bass freq... i have to decide.

May 19, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #1,194 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadien /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bought my Vmoda vibe Red Roxx two months ago, but the wire is having similiar breakoff effect that they talk about in this thread below, but I bought this pair from online ebay store, so will I be covered by the guaranty?

I have received the receipt from the store, will it suffice?

my V-moda from ebay store:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...DME:L:RTQ:CA:1

Link to the problem:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=10548

Any advice or comment will be greatly appreciated.

You should really go for it and explain that your plug is wearing down the wire, which pretty much counts as a manufacturing defect. In fact, everybody who suffers from this problem should consider a return.

May 20, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #1,195 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try getting a handy friend to do a DIY fix. You've got nothing to lose.

As I'm the only arguably handy person that I know when it comes to soldering, I finally got around to making an attempt at repairing the Vibes.

Since the channel wires were insulated with paint, I used a tip from this Audiostation forum topic to remove it and soldered the wires together. Keeping them seperated, I wrapped the wires in some electrical tape and then covered it with some heat shrink(use a good blow dryer for less of a warranty voiding risk)

It seems to sound the same as I recall when I last listened to them, although the right driver seems to get...warm(???) after a while, but maybe I'm just imagining things.

May 21, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #1,197 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I've been hearing many "I've heard that's" around different threads here that the 2nd Gen Vibes that V-Moda rolled out don't sound as good as the 1st gen ones. Anybody care to post their opinion to see once and for all whether thats true or not?

Here you go: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...6&postcount=19

May 21, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #1,198 of 1,475
Today my replaced V-Moda Vibes came in. I had flashback, but got Red Roxx. Red Roxx is a LOT nicer in person. They have a bit more bass then I remember BUT that is a good thing. I also got a strain relief on them that they came with and it is a bit smaller then I thought it was but it keeps it from cutting into the wire so hey it works!

Also got the black pouch which is a lot nicer and less weird to take out in public.

No burn in and already I re-fell in love with my Vibes.

May 22, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #1,199 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by thesupreme1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today my replaced V-Moda Vibes came in. I had flashback, but got Red Roxx. Red Roxx is a LOT nicer in person. They have a bit more bass then I remember BUT that is a good thing. I also got a strain relief on them that they came with and it is a bit smaller then I thought it was but it keeps it from cutting into the wire so hey it works!

Also got the black pouch which is a lot nicer and less weird to take out in public.

Hmmm well hopefully, the burn in will even out the new Vibes more.

May 22, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #1,200 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by thesupreme1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey, thesupreme1, mind posting some pics of the new strain relief if you get the chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back