V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Apr 1, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #1,156 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....First gen Vibes just sound very good. Note I said first gen Vibes. The newer revision is a pale comparison. I ordered the Gunmetals when they first appeared. Got in on the first order. They sound marvelous. The newer ones with the laser cut membrane though, well, it is a different phone. Far too much mid-bass muddling the mids and highs.

I don't know if you have heard a 1st gen Vibe, which is what my review is based on. 2nd gen simply do not sound as balanced. Shame to really. I knew there were slight changes in manufacturing, but did not expect them to sound like totally different phones.

Anyway, 2nd gen Vibe is not by any means better than a Um2, first gen however is a different story. I simply don't understand why V-moda changed the sound signature as extensively as they did...

Ply

So what does this mean now? I was about to order these things and it looks like I am back to square one!
Can somebody offer me a suggestion for an ear phone.
1. Max. $100.00 Price Tag
2. Same Musical and Bass ability as Vibe.
3. Same or better isolation than Vibe.
4. Very comfortable.

If I can still get one of the 1st Gen variety I still would prefer the vibe, I was planning to order from Amazon.

Just when I had finished my research and bam.

I was thinking of the Westone UM1.......

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #1,157 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, Your review had me cracking up. Very unique perspective. And that looks like a nice cutting board. Wood ftw...

Oh, how does the wife like them???

Ply

She loves them! I compared her Mocha's to my Gunmetals and there were only subtle differences not worth mentioning...again probably just due to fitting.

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #1,158 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what does this mean now? I was about to order these things and it looks like I am back to square one!
Can somebody offer me a suggestion for an ear phone.
1. Max. $100.00 Price Tag
2. Same Musical and Bass ability as Vibe.
3. Same or better isolation than Vibe.
4. Very comfortable.

If I can still get one of the 1st Gen variety I still would prefer the vibe, I was planning to order from Amazon.

Just when I had finished my research and bam.

I was thinking of the Westone UM1.......

I know how hard this is, because I just went through the same thing....I'll make the choice for you...buy the Vibes. I know nothing about the Westone UM1, but I'm certain you will enjoy the Vibes...

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #1,162 of 1,475
..an electric hairdryer does shrin kwrap for me. When I did it to my Vibe plug I cut the wrap long enough to extend a 1/4" or so beyond the plug.....anchored the wrap with heat on the wide end of the plug.........then dripped some epoxy glue down the wrap which was over the cable/plug joint, then shrunk that part of the wrap. No breakage is likely to occur there, and provides a good gripping surface for pulling the plug from iPod or amp..

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #1,163 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..an electric hairdryer does shrin kwrap for me. When I did it to my Vibe plug I cut the wrap long enough to extend a 1/4" or so beyond the plug.....anchored the wrap with heat on the wide end of the plug.........then dripped some epoxy glue down the wrap which was over the cable/plug joint, then shrunk that part of the wrap. No breakage is likely to occur there, and provides a good gripping surface for pulling the plug from iPod or amp..

thanks for the info, i was wondering if a hairdryer would work since i use my heat gun to melt glue for my hockey sticks, maybe it would melt the cable...im going out to get some heat shrink and try it with a hairdryer

Apr 1, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #1,164 of 1,475
yes, bushguy is spot on.....a good hair drier on high will be enough to shrink the tube...if you are using a spring as I did, then going over the spring covered section (approx 1/4") with the blue part of a flame (as dftk recommended) will tighten the tube on the spring...

*note* use the lighter very sparingly and fast..too much heat will cause the heat shrink to melt, thus defeating the purpous....

May 1, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #1,166 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by thesupreme1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if it causes problems wouldn't that also void the warranty?

I dont think so, what harm could tape/heat shrinks do to the vibes? It's not like we're drilling holes in them!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #1,167 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by thesupreme1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if it causes problems wouldn't that also void the warranty?

You mean if it melts the actual cable? That's pretty much warranty-voiding, yeah...although V-MODA is very good about replacements, so you may -- emphasis on may -- have some wiggle room there.

Question for you heatshrinkers: Which brand of heatshrink is best to use, and where would you recommend I go to find it (online or elsewhere)? I tried the RadioShack-branded stuff on a whim (I know, I know...), and after all was said and done, it wound up as rigid as a drinking straw. I began to fear the edge of the heatshrink would start causing cable problems, so I removed it. Surely other brands are more flexible, no?

May 1, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #1,168 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean if it melts the actual cable? That's pretty much warranty-voiding, yeah...although V-MODA is very good about replacements, so you may -- emphasis on may -- have some wiggle room there.

Question for you heatshrinkers: Which brand of heatshrink is best to use, and where would you recommend I go to find it (online or elsewhere)? I tried the RadioShack-branded stuff on a whim (I know, I know...), and after all was said and done, it wound up as rigid as a drinking straw. I began to fear the edge of the heatshrink would start causing cable problems, so I removed it. Surely other brands are more flexible, no?

Yea I'm interested in this too. I'm going to heatshrink mine for sure as they broke again yesterday. Luckily Val says he thinks the new batch of Red Roxx have some sort of strain relief on them and he reccomends I request that color so I shall take his advice.

May 2, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #1,170 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just used heat shrink from Home Depot - out of a 'variety pack' I used the 1/4".

and how flexible did that end up being around the cord once it was fully shrunken?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back