V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Mar 28, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #1,126 of 1,475
sometimes you just have to match phones to the right source. I got the Vibes partly after reading this thread and partly from my satisfaction of the v moda Bass freq....I find them just about perfect for exercise activities. I found the vibes "fun" also and have to agree with some of the positive comments, but when it came down to it, the mids and highs were just not cutting it for a lot of the world music and folk/rock that I listen to when not exercising. yes disappointed. the Xtra was just too warm of and amp for the vibes...the xenos helped but still the mids and highs didn't have enough presence. But then I tried them with the Basso T1 and there is definitely a great match going on. With the bass switch on, the bass was near Bass freq. levels without the boominess...nice tight bass and the mids and highs tho still recessed were out there to enjoy....crisp. Now they are really FUN! and worth the cost above the bass freqs...
icon10.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #1,127 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I agree with the sentiment behind your post, it should be mentioned that post count is not always the best indication of "credibility."

While that is true, i believe people with 1000+ posts have enough experience to express their hearing efficiently and accurately. But also, their reviews tend to be less biased as they still want to uphold a better image of themselves on this forum.

Mar 28, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #1,128 of 1,475
I received my Red Roxx Vibes on Saturday and after a 12+ hour break in session with some pink noise and assorted music, I compared them to my now defunct Sony MDR-888(left earphone no longer has sound) and still active Sennheiser MX400. Now I should note that I've never owned an IEM before, left alone spent more than $50 on anything like these.

Aesthetically, they looked great and certainly stood out among the standard land of black audio accessories. In terms of the sound, I noticed more detail in the music I heard and in some cases, a few songs sounded quite different(Thom Yorke's Analyze in particular). However, I couldn't help but get the feeling that the music seemed muddled in that the Vibes weren't as clear as my earphones. I tried the various sized tips to get a good seal, but it made no difference to said muddiness.

Aside from that, the quality of the wire and construnction may be questionable. Just yesterday, I was wearing the Vibes, which were connected to my Dell Axim and the cord had snagged on a chair I was getting out of. The moment I felt a tug on my ears, I stopped to un-snag the Vibes, but when I looked down, one half of the cord was dangling down the Axim which was in my jean pocket and the other half was still in my ears. I've had far crazier incidents happen with my 6 year old Sennheisers and they still work and look fine, but basically, the wire apparently tore apart inside the metallic junction. Looking inside the junction, it would seem as though the plastic covering the wire is not actually connected to the two wires on the other end. I'm not absolutely certain of that though as I don't have access to my magnifying glass and it's difficult to see even with a bright light on it.

I decided to email V-Moda's support staff and received a response today stating that this incident could not be covered by the warranty. They offered me a sizeable discount on a replacement pair, but I'm not sure I really want to take them up on it since well, what's stopping the next pair from ripping like this one?

It's safe to say that I'm a bit frustrated as this was my first "big" investment in an IEM and I've only had it for 4 days. These last few days have also included a 2 month old PC power supply dying on me(which the store I bought it from promptly replaced) and the need to get stitches in my hand.

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #1,130 of 1,475
I just came here to find a decent upgrade from my standard ipod buds....now, after I read this ENTIRE thread I bought 2 pairs of Vibes (Gunmetal for me, Mocha for the Mrs.) and now I also want a tomahawk amp, which I NEVER KNEW EVEN EXSISTED UNTIL I GOT HERE...

...you bastards.

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #1,131 of 1,475
also....two quick things....I don't want to thread jack this....

1) for a CEO of a company to be on a forum thread about his product and ask for/provide information just blows my mind....it should absolutley be applauded! I have never seen such a thing. Kudos to you Val.

2) would an portable amp save battery life on a Ipod 5.5 gen Video?

Mar 29, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #1,132 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioheadache /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my Red Roxx Vibes on Saturday and after a 12+ hour break in session with some pink noise and assorted music, I compared them to my now defunct Sony MDR-888(left earphone no longer has sound) and still active Sennheiser MX400. Now I should note that I've never owned an IEM before, left alone spent more than $50 on anything like these.

Aesthetically, they looked great and certainly stood out among the standard land of black audio accessories. In terms of the sound, I noticed more detail in the music I heard and in some cases, a few songs sounded quite different(Thom Yorke's Analyze in particular). However, I couldn't help but get the feeling that the music seemed muddled in that the Vibes weren't as clear as my earphones. I tried the various sized tips to get a good seal, but it made no difference to said muddiness.

Aside from that, the quality of the wire and construnction may be questionable. Just yesterday, I was wearing the Vibes, which were connected to my Dell Axim and the cord had snagged on a chair I was getting out of. The moment I felt a tug on my ears, I stopped to un-snag the Vibes, but when I looked down, one half of the cord was dangling down the Axim which was in my jean pocket and the other half was still in my ears. I've had far crazier incidents happen with my 6 year old Sennheisers and they still work and look fine, but basically, the wire apparently tore apart inside the metallic junction. Looking inside the junction, it would seem as though the plastic covering the wire is not actually connected to the two wires on the other end. I'm not absolutely certain of that though as I don't have access to my magnifying glass and it's difficult to see even with a bright light on it.

I decided to email V-Moda's support staff and received a response today stating that this incident could not be covered by the warranty. They offered me a sizeable discount on a replacement pair, but I'm not sure I really want to take them up on it since well, what's stopping the next pair from ripping like this one?

It's safe to say that I'm a bit frustrated as this was my first "big" investment in an IEM and I've only had it for 4 days. These last few days have also included a 2 month old PC power supply dying on me(which the store I bought it from promptly replaced) and the need to get stitches in my hand.

It takes, in my experience, 50 plus hours to start hearing what these can do. I also find that I need to increase the volume (levels that preclude hearing a lot of what is going on around you) for them to open up. When played at lower volumes I do not enjoy them very much as they close in and do not present the frequency range very well but I find that many listening devices require higher levels, though not so with the UM2's.

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #1,133 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by PooDeFuego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just came here to find a decent upgrade from my standard ipod buds....now, after I read this ENTIRE thread I bought 2 pairs of Vibes (Gunmetal for me, Mocha for the Mrs.) and now I also want a tomahawk amp, which I NEVER KNEW EVEN EXSISTED UNTIL I GOT HERE...

...you bastards.

You don't really need an amp for the Vibes... the difference is marginal.

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #1,134 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It takes, in my experience, 50 plus hours to start hearing what these can do. I also find that I need to increase the volume (levels that preclude hearing a lot of what is going on around you) for them to open up. When played at lower volumes I do not enjoy them very much as they close in and do not present the frequency range very well.

which is horrible because you need to kill your hearing to appreciate them.

Mar 29, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #1,135 of 1,475
I just sold a pair of vibes and thought I would chime in for my 2cents! For what they cost I think the vibes are a good value. Who buys $100 canal phones? I would guess mostly ipod nation first timers upgrading from the stock buds. I would bet you that if you took a non head-fier who has a set of stock buds, ask them to try say Vibes vs. ER-6's, E2's, etc. that they would take the vibes a majority of the time. Detail freaks are not born imho, they develop as they stick around in this hobby! They may not be the last word in detail, but they are musical, they do have bottom end, and they are a huge upgrade from stock. They get you a lot of the way to IEM without forcing you to stick things way down the ear canal. I liked them. Bought them when the hype peaked in January. I would still recommend them to someone asking for advice for first time purchases.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #1,136 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which is horrible because you need to kill your hearing to appreciate them.

Lol, where did he say he was blasting the volume? You have a knack for taking a comment and putting a decidedly negative tilt onto it.

The Vibes' do isolate somewhat, it does not take much to "preclude hearing a lot of what is going on around you." I wear Vibes in construction, lots of noise. I turn them up to where I don't here things around me. Have yet to even get a ringing in the ear, let alone discomfort from being too loud. With stock buds or my ksc75's my ears would be ringing if I turned them up to exclude outside noise.

You've already posted your opinion, that you think they are far over-rated, that's cool. But your continued comments are starting to sound like nothing but thread crapping...

Ply

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #1,138 of 1,475
I am just curious, has anyone tried increasing the resistance in the cables of the vibes? The previous comment about having to increase the volume to make the vibes fully sound thier best just made me think that maybe putting a higher resistance on thier cable (similar adapter for ER4P to S conversion) to get them to sound better? I dont have one available otherwise I would try.....

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #1,139 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, where did he say he was blasting the volume? You have a knack for taking a comment and putting a decidedly negative tilt onto it.

The Vibes' do isolate somewhat, it does not take much to "preclude hearing a lot of what is going on around you." I wear Vibes in construction, lots of noise. I turn them up to where I don't here things around me. Have yet to even get a ringing in the ear, let alone discomfort from being too loud. With stock buds or my ksc75's my ears would be ringing if I turned them up to exclude outside noise.

You've already posted your opinion, that you think they are far over-rated, that's cool. But your continued comments are starting to sound like nothing but thread crapping...

Ply

Hey, I'm curious as to how much you turn your volume up when you're in construction? Does the volume seem way too high after you get off work? I'm probably going to buy some before I fly back to China this summer, so I'm wondering how well they'll work on the plane.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #1,140 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by geniebomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I'm curious as to how much you turn your volume up when you're in construction? Does the volume seem way too high after you get off work? I'm probably going to buy some before I fly back to China this summer, so I'm wondering how well they'll work on the plane.

Thanks in advance.

They will not work too well on the plane. Get some iems that offer complete isolation, and you'll need it. ie Shure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back