V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Mar 28, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #1,111 of 1,475
I see that some honest light is being spread around here now,but is being met with some hostility. No surprise, given the topic of this thread.
wink.gif

But really, the Vibes would be a great product. Ironically though, it is one of the worst to listen to for any type of percussion. Also, the cord does need a bit of work (stress relief on the entry plug would be great).

From what I'm seeing, many do not understand what percussion is even remotely supposed to sound like...but ignorance is bliss, I guess.
plainface.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #1,113 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that some honest light is being spread around here now,but is being met with some hostility. No surprise, given the topic of this thread.
wink.gif

Please elaborate...

Ply

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #1,115 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the honest light being that the vibes aren't even close to what they are made out to be as can be seen on this thread.

According to the numerous reviews that stacked them up against the various iems in their price range, most would say that the Vibes are pretty decent. No one admits that the vibes are the "referencing" neutral types, and most admit that they are indeed a bit colored. Noneless, musically they're extremely fun to listen to. Most of the negative comments here are both exaggerated and harsh, (mostly due to their extremely high expecations not being met), and that, my friend, is why they are often met with hostility.

PS. No one is calling the Vibes BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK. We are merely saying that aesthetically and musically, they are worth the money.

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #1,116 of 1,475
honestly i don't think that the vibes are a BAD pair of headphones. yeah they are fun, but the price tag that v-moda slaps on them makes them unbearable to me. the thought of having spent 70-90 bucks for a pair of headphones that outperform my 20 dollar ep630's by only a slight margin makes me feel as if i was shafted by v-moda. i feel as if the fun factor the vibes have are considered a budget headphone sound, and the marshmallws and ep630's and the crossroads mylarone have the vibes easily beat.

but again i must say that the vibes are NOT bad. i feel as if money has gotten in the way of me enjoying them. for those that have all the money in the world to spend on headphones, i'm sure the vibes are a great buy since they DO outperform the budget canalphones i mentioned, but just not by much, very little, or at all.

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #1,117 of 1,475
Ply just said that the second generation Vibes were not anywhere near what the first generations were. I believe that the La Mochas were the first of the second generation, so that is what you heard. A lot of the positive reviews including the review that started this thread were done with the first generation Vibes. I'm not suggesting that you go buy a pair of the first gens to test, but it might be worth your time to find someone with a first gen pair to at least give those a shot and see what you think before assuming they are all no good.

As for the percussion, it doesn't sound like the real instrument. No denying that, I used to play drums, I know it isn't perfect, I still enjoy my Vibes. I always said they were far from reference IEMs, they are just enjoyable. Basically, they might not have 100% accurate sound, but they are enjoyable. If you want reference IEMs there are plenty out there, but I just want to enjoy my music, not tear it apart, and for doing that these are perfect and enjoyable.

Of course if you don't like the sound that's fine, but it doesn't mean those who do are wrong. They like it, good for them, they can stay with the Vibes. If you don't then these aren't for you, there's bound to be something else out there that you can enjoy.

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #1,118 of 1,475
Nicely put Jon118. And as for percussion, yet to find any iem that would do them justice. There is something truly visceral about live percussion, but that is true of most live instruments. Maybe the e4pro from ety could do it but have not heard them. Anyway, not what Vibes are about...

Ply

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #1,119 of 1,475
Quote:

the honest light being that the vibes aren't even close to what they are made out to be as can be seen on this thread.

And what has this thread "made" them???

Ply

Mar 28, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #1,120 of 1,475
Quote:

honestly i don't think that the vibes are a BAD pair of headphones. yeah they are fun, but the price tag that v-moda slaps on them makes them unbearable to me. the thought of having spent 70-90 bucks for a pair of headphones that outperform my 20 dollar ep630's by only a slight margin makes me feel as if i was shafted by v-moda. i feel as if the fun factor the vibes have are considered a budget headphone sound, and the marshmallws and ep630's and the crossroads mylarone have the vibes easily beat.

but again i must say that the vibes are NOT bad. i feel as if money has gotten in the way of me enjoying them. for those that have all the money in the world to spend on headphones, i'm sure the vibes are a great buy since they DO outperform the budget canalphones i mentioned, but just not by much, very little, or at all.

I am not under such an impression but that depends on your ears. If you want outperform - grab a UM2, but if money is an issue for you, then you are looking at something that happens to be a hobby where differences are partly depending on how much difference is worth to your head. Keep in mind, for most people my w5000 is not worth 5x the Ssennheiser hd595 I previously had, the sound is not is not to the point where w5000 will let you hear a whole new world of sound as opposed to hd595, which is what some expect for that much money.

That being said, I picked up Vibe after using im716, and 716 is definitely known to rule out your budget phones, including shure e2c by the way. To my ears there were advantages the Vibe had, and depending on each individuals ear those advantages might be more or less clear and worth it. Some find shure e2c too sharp in the highs - and without sacrificing quality of everything else Vibe is better, plus it has excellent bass response that really makes lots of music groove. Also if the DAP is not up to snuff, they won't be that much better than the marshmellows or creatives. Yes I am dissing the Zen Vision, Creatives are not the greatest sounding DAPs, with them the Vibe has some sound issues that it does not have with Zunes or iPods.

And in the end, as asked by ply, did you expect an Orpheus of earbuds? They sound right on the money for their cost. Some of the cheaper headphones can sound ahead of the money for the cost (ksc75 is a good example), IMHO ep630 is one of those headphones and it is possible you just prefer their sound signature.

Mar 28, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #1,121 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not under such an impression but that depends on your ears. If you want outperform - grab a UM2, but if money is an issue for you, then you are looking at something that happens to be a hobby where differences are partly depending on how much difference is worth to your head. Keep in mind, for most people my w5000 is not worth 5x the Ssennheiser hd595 I previously had, the sound is not is not to the point where w5000 will let you hear a whole new world of sound as opposed to hd595, which is what some expect for that much money.

That being said, I picked up Vibe after using im716, and 716 is definitely known to rule out your budget phones, including shure e2c by the way. To my ears there were advantages the Vibe had, and depending on each individuals ear those advantages might be more or less clear and worth it. Some find shure e2c too sharp in the highs - and without sacrificing quality of everything else Vibe is better, plus it has excellent bass response that really makes lots of music groove. That being sad - if the DAP is not up to snuff, they won't be that much better than the marshmellows or creatives.

my DAP is a ZVM. it is quite "up to snuff." like i said...the vibes do not perform in their price range to me. that is all. i just hope the people who will get dissappointed listen to them first before buying them. it is a very big waste if they don't. many just follow the hype and that's what concerns me.

Mar 28, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #1,122 of 1,475
Quote:

Based on this thread, a LOT of folks really enjoy the vibes. The record speaks for itself. Don't like them? Don't buy them.

I like them so I bought them, two pair.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #1,123 of 1,475
Quote:

my DAP is a ZVM. it is quite "up to snuff." like i said...the vibes do not perform in their price range to me. that is all. i just hope the people who will get dissappointed listen to them first before buying them. it is a very big waste if they don't. many just follow the hype and that's what concerns me.

That is sad for EVERY SINGLE HEADPHONE ON THIS FORUM. I am sorry, don't want to be an *******, but this is the primary thing about this. Don't buy things if you fear being disappointed for the cost. Try them first. I absolutely forced the buyer of my hd595 to listen to them first and make sure he likes them for the asked price, and if I could do it to every single person on this forum reasonably I would, but welcome to head-fi we are here because we are looking for something we cannot just test ourselves.

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #1,124 of 1,475
Quote:

Having too high of an expectation is always no good. That is why people should always read credible review, done by posters with at least 1000+ posts. I think the one in the sticky reviews speaks the best of the Vibes.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #1,125 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having too high of an expectation is always no good. That is why people should always read credible review, done by posters with at least 1000+ posts. I think the one in the sticky reviews speaks the best of the Vibes.

Although I agree with the sentiment behind your post, it should be mentioned that post count is not always the best indication of "credibility."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back