V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Mar 20, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #1,082 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapemanpl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i recently picked up a pair of vibes, but when i put the right one in it makes a weird pop/click noise, kinda like a water drop sound...it's only in the right ear but it doesn't change the sound at all, is that a problem? because i have a different pair of earphones the came with my mp3 player that does the same thing only in the right ear as well

Try putting right in left ear and see what happens. And if it happens with the pair it came with the mp3 player, it sounds like it may be the player. Is it sound coming from the headphone speaker, or from the fitting popping? If its from speaker it sounds like a defective jack in the mp3 player. We see this sometimes with gym machines with jacks that are all "jacked up" from use.

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #1,083 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try putting right in left ear and see what happens. And if it happens with the pair it came with the mp3 player, it sounds like it may be the player. Is it sound coming from the headphone speaker, or from the fitting popping? If its from speaker it sounds like a defective jack in the mp3 player. We see this sometimes with gym machines with jacks that are all "jacked up" from use.

hey thanks for the info, but i think it was something inside the earbud, i tried with different fittings even ones from other earbuds, switched left to right, changed audio sources, tried putting them in orientations. but the popping sound even happens when its not even plugged in. but since yesterdays post i've exchanged them for a new pair, the new ones don't make the sound...like i could actually make them make the sound by pushing in the earbud and pulling it out, it would make a really loud pop when i put it in and when i pulled it out it would make a small pop, kinda like when you stick your finger into your mouth and make that pop sound by pulling it out...

and besides that they sound awesome, looks and sound quality for a great price, can't beat that
also where can i get the music from the v-moda site? some the songs are very unique

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #1,084 of 1,475
Argh, well I had a great three months with my Vibes. I think the metal 3.5mm jack is the culprit. Sound doesn't come out until I hold the wire against the MP3 player at a certain length, and even so, no music comes from the left ear. I'm hoping the warranty will cover this and I can come back to the great sound I've grown accustomed to. For now, I'm stuck with my ugly, but decent Koss KSC-75's.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #1,085 of 1,475
I got my Super.fi 5 foamies in the mail today. They fit onto the Vibes with no problem. The sound is fuller on the bass end and mids and highs are open, although a bit on the bright side. One down note is that microphonic noise is bit more noticeable than with the Vibes' own fittings. Just for the hell of it, I picked up a pair of Koss kcs75s. They are a seriously great sounding pair of cans with incredible depth but alas, they do make you look like Dumbo
580smile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #1,086 of 1,475
I picked up a pair about two weeks ago. I like the fact that they don't isolate as I use them at work and can hear my phone ring. I also think they're more comfertable than the e4gs I had. I ended up selling those a little while after I got them as I didn't like the fit.

One thing though is I don't get that much bass out of them. Everything sounds kind of distant, but loud enough that I don't want to turn it up more. I think I just can't get a good fit. Going to try the larger ones tonight when I get home. I second the suggestion that you get some foam ones producted for it

Mar 23, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #1,087 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by marzxbarz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh, well I had a great three months with my Vibes. I think the metal 3.5mm jack is the culprit. Sound doesn't come out until I hold the wire against the MP3 player at a certain length, and even so, no music comes from the left ear. I'm hoping the warranty will cover this and I can come back to the great sound I've grown accustomed to. For now, I'm stuck with my ugly, but decent Koss KSC-75's.

arrgghh!! Same situation here. Had it for around three months, and then the right ear failed. The only way to get it to work is if i jiggle around the wire near the jack. I hope the warranty covers this...

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #1,088 of 1,475
Same here. I now have exposed wire. I wrote in regarding my warranty as they were a christmas gift and they said I need to send in my pair before I'm sent replacements. Unfortunately I don't think I can be without phones for that long so I'm going to the hardware store to find suitable heatshrink. I just don't understand how the v-moda engineers were unable to foresee this inevitable cable failure due to the metal jack. I hope the newer models will fix this obvious issue.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #1,089 of 1,475
What I have done that works very well:

I use super glue at the point of entry and lightly about 1/2 inch on the wire that come from any point of entry/exit. This stops the stress internally on the connection and by going about 1/2 inch along the wire it stiffens the wire enough that the bending now is more evenly distributed and the wire is not fatigued at the point where it comes out of the ear pieces or where it comes from the Y connections. The super glue is clear so it does not detract from the appearance but does add to the life of the cable. I did this originally with my T25 that are made just like the Vibes and it has worked extremelly well.

To clarify, most all stress points on a cable coming from an earphone piece or Y in most ear monitors is going to be held in place so the actual solder joint is not stressed but sometimes the actual area that avoids the stress on the joint is unduly stressed. I applied the super glue to the Red Roxx as well and now all points flex smoothly in an arc rather than at the point of entry.

I have also found that a soft tooth brush is excellent for cleaning the wire mesh that covers the opening of the monitors. It gently removes debri like the nasty build up of ear wax. I notice an improved sound because the small holes in the mesh can become clogged even if appearing open or clean. I use my partner's tooth brush since she uses nice soft tooth brushes (just kidding about using hers).

Mar 24, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #1,090 of 1,475
Sometimes a well-spent $6 can have as big an effect on the end-sound coming into your ear as a $200 investment in an amp, etc.

Just reporting:

In light of recommendations made by posters here, I ordered both the Super.fi 5 foam tips and the biflanges and tried them on my V-Modas.

To my ears, both of these tips SIGNFICANTLY IMPROVED THE SQ.

For pure SQ: I prefer the foamies sound just a bit to the biflanges.

Advantages of biflanges are several: Better solution when I need a little less isolation than the foamies give. Easier to remove and insert quickly, when you're in a store, etc. Probably will last longer than the foamies. SQ not quite as excellent, to my ear.

Buying these both sets of these tips is probably the best $6 investment I've made to improve SQ.

The foam tips improved the SQ much more than I had expected. It even renewed my faith in the Cowon D2 MP3 player I just bought -- I'm much more satisfied with it now.

Next step: Order some of the new Shure black foamies, and see if they will fit well on the V-Modas.

If I ran an IEM company, all our $100+ IEMS would come with the new Shure-type durable foamies, and tri/biflange options. The SQ difference is that huge.

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #1,091 of 1,475
Yeah, the tri/bi flange are so inexpensive and so are foamies that they would seem to be a very good addition to this type of monitor. So many different ear canals, so many choices. :^)

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #1,092 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsrivo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arrgghh!! Same situation here. Had it for around three months, and then the right ear failed. The only way to get it to work is if i jiggle around the wire near the jack. I hope the warranty covers this...

Same situation here, happened last night. I assume the warrenty will cover this as mine are only 2 months old however as im situated in the UK will I have to pay for shipping (there and return) to the US?

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #1,093 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by music065 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes a well-spent $6 can have as big an effect on the end-sound coming into your ear as a $200 investment in an amp, etc.

Just reporting:

In light of recommendations made by posters here, I ordered both the Super.fi 5 foam tips and the biflanges and tried them on my V-Modas.

To my ears, both of these tips SIGNFICANTLY IMPROVED THE SQ.

For pure SQ: I prefer the foamies sound just a bit to the biflanges.

Advantages of biflanges are several: Better solution when I need a little less isolation than the foamies give. Easier to remove and insert quickly, when you're in a store, etc. Probably will last longer than the foamies. SQ not quite as excellent, to my ear.

Buying these both sets of these tips is probably the best $6 investment I've made to improve SQ.

The foam tips improved the SQ much more than I had expected. It even renewed my faith in the Cowon D2 MP3 player I just bought -- I'm much more satisfied with it now.

Next step: Order some of the new Shure black foamies, and see if they will fit well on the V-Modas.

If I ran an IEM company, all our $100+ IEMS would come with the new Shure-type durable foamies, and tri/biflange options. The SQ difference is that huge.

Where did you order individual pairs? I can only find ones that comes in pairs of 10.

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #1,094 of 1,475
After trying numerous combinations of fittings (v-moda, Super,fi, Shure and others that were laying around), I'm sorry to say that I'm disappointed with the Vibes. I have been unable to get the right mix of deep, tight bass and smooth, open mids and highs. The sound is either too boomy and distant or too bright. Most of my Ipod's stuff is encoded at 160 - 192 bits and ranges from rock to Broadway to classical to smooth jazz. I suppose that I'll keep trying the Vibes but here's something amazing. I still have two pairs of old Aiwa swoops, a JS-35 (volume control) and a JS-36 (no volume control). These have front firing drivers and I always had foam bud covers taped on them to smooth the highs and improve the seal. I used them with my old Creative Zen and they were excellent. Well, I dug them up yesterday, plugged them into my Ipod and was floored. They still sound absolutely incredible with deep, clean bass and mids and highs with real presence (old reviews online are almost unanimously outstanding). They are very efficient with around 40% volume on the Ipod enough to drive them properly. They were always ideal for walking/jogging. The only knock was they seemed "outdated" with the neck swoop. After listening them, I'm forcing them to come out of retirement, at least for as long they hold up. Unfortunately, they were discontinued years ago and cannot be found anywhere at this point. I'm sure that I'll continue to search for the ideal in-ear cans but it's sure nice to have my old friends back in the mix.

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #1,095 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After trying numerous combinations of fittings (v-moda, Super,fi, Shure and others that were laying around), I'm sorry to say that I'm disappointed with the Vibes. I have been unable to get the right mix of deep, tight bass and smooth, open mids and highs. The sound is either too boomy and distant or too bright. Most of my Ipod's stuff is encoded at 160 - 192 bits and ranges from rock to Broadway to classical to smooth jazz. I suppose that I'll keep trying the Vibes but here's something amazing. I still have two pairs of old Aiwa swoops, a JS-35 (volume control) and a JS-36 (no volume control). These have front firing drivers and I always had foam bud covers taped on them to smooth the highs and improve the seal. I used them with my old Creative Zen and they were excellent. Well, I dug them up yesterday, plugged them into my Ipod and was floored. They still sound absolutely incredible with deep, clean bass and mids and highs with real presence (old reviews online are almost unanimously outstanding). They are very efficient with around 40% volume on the Ipod enough to drive them properly. They were always ideal for walking/jogging. The only knock was they seemed "outdated" with the neck swoop. After listening them, I'm forcing them to come out of retirement, at least for as long they hold up. Unfortunately, they were discontinued years ago and cannot be found anywhere at this point. I'm sure that I'll continue to search for the ideal in-ear cans but it's sure nice to have my old friends back in the mix.

these just aren't worth their price tag. they are decent, but shouldn't cost 2 to 3 times as much as my 630's. sold them almost immediately. good thing the hype has stopped
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back