V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Sep 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #962 of 1,343
Now that specs have been released for the 5S and 5C, what is the verdict on compatibility with the current Iphone 5 Metallo case?

If not compatible, is there any word from V-Moda regarding an updated case?

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #963 of 1,343
I will try to get a 5S next Friday, so at least I will able to confirm for the MM5 case, plus I might finally have a reason to get the Metallo too.

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #967 of 1,343
  In that case, I may make the leap to the 5S, even though I was hoping for a 128GB option.  I will wait for Dr. Sheep's confirmation unless I hear back from V-Moda first.  Maybe Val will respond?

I just received email confirmation from V-Moda that the existing Metallo case is compatible with the new Iphones which will unfortunately make my Vamp an obsolete museum relic to go with my 8-track player and Betamax.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #970 of 1,343

For the iPhone 5s yeah, but the 5c is a different size.

In that case, I may make the leap to the 5S, even though I was hoping for a 128GB option.  I will wait for Dr. Sheep's confirmation unless I hear back from V-Moda first.  Maybe Val will respond?

*ba dum tss*

I don't think I would ever use 128 GB, let alone 64 GB on a portable media player. The music library on my on-board drive is ~190 GB in size, which is about 300 albums, with mostly EAC-ripped FLACs, with the logs, with the high-resolution cover art, with some of them being converted to MP3/AAC, with some of them containing twice the album's size since I keep the original .ZIP files from Bandcamp albums. I don't even actively listen to 60% of that music, let alone only listening to ~30% of that 60% for mobile listening. 64 GB should be plenty for the average person, and should be even more plentiful if using lossy formats. I have ~355 songs on my iPhone 4S in MP3/AAC and it uses less than 4 GB of space (355 songs/~12 songs per album = ~30 albums ≈ 300/3/3).

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #971 of 1,343
Remember I only have the MM5 case and NOT the Metallo case, but if one fits the other should too.

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #972 of 1,343
  *ba dum tss*

I don't think I would ever use 128 GB, let alone 64 GB on a portable media player. The music library on my on-board drive is ~190 GB in size, which is about 300 albums, with mostly EAC-ripped FLACs, with the logs, with the high-resolution cover art, with some of them being converted to MP3/AAC, with some of them containing twice the album's size since I keep the original .ZIP files from Bandcamp albums. I don't even actively listen to 60% of that music, let alone only listening to ~30% of that 60% for mobile listening. 64 GB should be plenty for the average person, and should be even more plentiful if using lossy formats. I have ~355 songs on my iPhone 4S in MP3/AAC and it uses less than 4 GB of space (355 songs/~12 songs per album = ~30 albums ≈ 300/3/3).

I am a geezer, so I don't know what *ba dum tss* means, but it doesn't sound like a compliment. All I can tell you is that I have about 60 GB of just music.  They are only 256K files, but maybe my taste is more eclectic than yours and since 95% of my listening is on the go, I don't see why it doesn't make sense to want my entire music collection to fit on my Iphone.

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #973 of 1,343
We had an interesting test today of the Verza vs the Go-DAP X (10 ohm/LME49860) vs Typhoon and vs the Go-DAP TT. The surprise for me was that I actually preferred the Verza signature over the other Go-DAPs off my FitEar TO GO! 334 (standard 001 cable). The Verza had greater details than the customised Go-DAP, somewhat airier trebles and wider staging than the Typhoon, and TT was probably the closest match to the Verza but still had a slightly wider staging than the TT.

Note though this is strictly my preference 'cos MTTheFirst (owner of the Go-DAPs) had different preferences.

The wins of the Typhoon would be the features of being DSD and up-sampling capability, & full charging of the iPhone. The TT on the other hand has that tube analogue smoothness. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to try tube rolling to see if it could have opened up the soundstaging to match the Verza. The TT did however have a nice depth perception.

We didn't get to test the Verza against the Centrance Hifi M8 though.

There's life in the Verza still despite some newer products out :wink:.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #974 of 1,343
I'm newbie to Vamp Verza.
I would like to find out from the expert here about the sound comparison between:

Vamp Verza + iPod Classic 160G (7th generation) vs iBasso DX50.

Can someone tell me which one has a better sound quality when playing the similar sound files (ALAC & MP3 320kbp)?

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #975 of 1,343
I just received email confirmation from V-Moda that the existing Metallo case is compatible with the new Iphones which will unfortunately make my Vamp an obsolete museum relic to go with my 8-track player and Betamax.

A 30-pin extension cable will plug that vamp into any older iDevice, so it's still very much alive. I use it with an iPad from time to time and it's great.

I was thinking about taking it apart and removing the rubber iphone holder (or even cutting the lip off so that an iPod would dock nicely) as an alternative. It's too good of a device to babysit your 8-tracks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back