V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
May 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #152 of 710
May 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #153 of 710
Quote:
So is this made by Venturecraft for V-Moda?

Want more info.

The speaker and mic vents are unique to Val's version, I think, but this does appear to a be a rebrand, yeah.  My inner-techie is a bit disappointed that it isn't some crazy new product, BUT this does seem like a very, very smart move on Val's part as the GoDap 4 is probably the only iPhone DAC/amp combo that could garner mainstream appeal.  Don't know how the pricing will fare, though. 

May 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #156 of 710
I think this was a nice view of it! Val, I reckon you should get her to do some promo shots. 

Oh and guess who's favourite headphones are now V-MODA's.

May 14, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #157 of 710
I hope V-MODA provide some accessories to protect the VAMP from scratches, just as VAMP itself protects an iPhone. A thin film of shield for attaching on the back side of VAMP will do, much like those screen protectors made for iPhones. The thought of dropping it on the hard ground and leaving a big scratch on VAMP would make it hard for me to carry around this $600 piece of gear outdoors without any protection. Just my two cents.

May 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #158 of 710
Quote:
I hope V-MODA provide some accessories to protect the VAMP from scratches, just as VAMP itself protects an iPhone. A thin film of shield for attaching on the back side of VAMP will do, much like those screen protectors made for iPhones. The thought of dropping it on the hard ground and leaving a big scratch on VAMP would make it hard for me to carry around this $600 piece of gear outdoors without any protection. Just my two cents.

Being from V-Moda, it's probably built like a tank.

May 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #160 of 710
The Vamp seems like an amazing product, but can someone explain the rationale/cost justification for a $600 DAC headphone amp built to be compatible with product that is expected to be replaced in October?  Is Apple or VModa guaranteeing the Iphone 5 will be compatible with the Vamp?  I'm wondering if the adapter case that attaches to the amp is removable to future proof The Vamp so that an Iphone (or other smart phone) adapter could simply snap on?

Also, forgive my ignorance asking this question as I am relatively new here, but what makes the Vamp worth 4X the cost of something like the Fiio E17 other than the convenience of a single attached unit and battery backup?

May 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #161 of 710
I don't know as much about Fiio as you do, but I know the Fiio can't take SPDIF from an iPhone. That is a major selling point. The VAMP also syncs with a computer. You never have to take the iPHone out of the case unless you use earphones that have mics for chatting with someone. 

May 14, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #162 of 710
Fiio E17, while advertised as a DAC/amp combo, cannot bypass an iPhone's in-built DAC. You can utilize both its DAC and amp section while using it with a computer, but not with any iDevice. In fact, most so-called portable DAC/amps are made that way. VAMP is one of very few portable DAC/amps in the market whose DAC can actually be used instead of an iPhone's in-built DAC, other examples being Fostex HP-P1 and VentureCraft Go-DAP. What these products have in common is that they are quite expensive compared to other DAC/amps, because these companies need to pay Apple a special license fee for using a certain chip that bypasses an iDevice's own DAC. I've heard this fee alone accounts for nearly half of the price of such DAC/amps, so that explains why these are so expensive.

Quote:
Also, forgive my ignorance asking this question as I am relatively new here, but what makes the Vamp worth 4X the cost of something like the Fiio E17 other than the convenience of a single attached unit and battery backup?

May 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #163 of 710
And guys, V-MODA just posted this on their Facebook page. Only 2 more days...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150964207793092&set=a.343705018091.191634.106696703091&type=1&theater

20424197.jpg

May 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #165 of 710
You would think the fashion world would have jumped on to the custom headphone look,you never know now that everyone has a mobile phone( or cell phone as you call them) that are sounding better and better all the time, i think it's only time before they come with a dac/headphone amp built into them, then we might be seeing them on models walking up and down the catwalks!

Panasonic launches HX35 designer headphones

19 Oct 2011
PanasonicRX35.jpg
Panasonic has announced the HX35 earphones, a lightweight on-ear model available in a range of colours.
Due to go on sale in January 2012, the headphones will be available in white, black, red, blue and purple.
The design looks smart and minimal, though Panasonic's claim that the colours have been influenced by 19th century traditional Japanese drawing (Ukiyoe) seems something of a stretch.
A closed-back design, the headphones should keep noise leakage to a minimum compared to open-back designs, so ideal if you prefer not to annoy everyone in earshot.
Due out in January 2012, the Panasonic HX35 earphones will cost £

Users who are viewing this thread

Back