V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.
Nov 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #811 of 925
Quote:
this or Momentum, so confused still.

I was not impressed by the Momentums at all, I A/Bed them (with the shareplay cable) for about 30 minutes against M-100s with a variety of different songs. The Momentums were easier to drive but to be honest the mid-range was lacking in detail and depth. The Momentums do win out in comfort, although this was a test pair in an Apple store so they've been worn out for some time; my M-100s are growing more comfortable daily.

As for the cracking issues,  I haven't got custom shields and so I haven't had to fiddle around with the screws and I can report NO cracking.  I've been VERY rough on my M-100s, dropping them a couple of times onto marble and gravel as well as forgoing the case and stuffing it in my bag and being generally mean to them, there are only a couple of scratches, I'll call them 'flesh wounds' visible.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #812 of 925
I was not impressed by the Momentums at all, I A/Bed them (with the shareplay cable) for about 30 minutes against M-100s with a variety of different songs. The Momentums were easier to drive but to be honest the mid-range was lacking in detail and depth. The Momentums do win out in comfort, although this was a test pair in an Apple store so they've been worn out for some time; my M-100s are growing more comfortable daily.
As for the cracking issues,  I haven't got custom shields and so I haven't had to fiddle around with the screws and I can report NO cracking.  I've been VERY rough on my M-100s, dropping them a couple of times onto marble and gravel as well as forgoing the case and stuffing it in my bag and being generally mean to them, there are only a couple of scratches, I'll call them 'flesh wounds' visible.

From Tyll's review of the M-100, he made it seem that the Momentum is a better reference headphone than the M-100. I haven't heard the Momentum in-person yet but I trust Tyll's words.
If you're an audiophile, though, looking for transparency and color-free reproduction, these are not a headphone for you. I suggest the Sennheiser Momentum for a few dollars more, or the Logitech UE 6000 at $100 less.
Audiophiles looking for faithful reproduction should look elsewhere for a full-sized sealed headphone (e.g., Sennheiser Momentum, Logitech UE6000), the M-100 simply are not transparent enough.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #813 of 925
Quote:

My biggest issue with them too, I'm glad I'm not the only one having bad experiences with it. But I guess it's my taste that has developed to appriciate forward/in-your-face midrange sound as opposed to say already 5-6 or so years back I loved V-shape sound lol, weird how the preferences keep changing so drasticly.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #814 of 925
I can understand where Tyll is coming from though. The Momentums are more of a uniform U-shape whereas the M-100 is a mirror/reversed J (to my hearing). However, the Momentums just don't do such a good job with the U-shape.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #816 of 925
Just checked my order.. it's there but it's so small that I may have missed it before. My order date was October 17.
Quote:
any one noticed the status states "shipping within 14 days" on their pre-order?

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #820 of 925
Hoping for a smooth release. If these come in mid Dec I'll be a happy camper. Hopefully after the small QC issues with the VTF run, they have lightened the torque on screwing in the wingplates (rubber washers *cough). If not then its easy enough to relieve the tension with a micro phillips screwdriver and hex keys for the shields, assuming they aren't cracked from the get go :D  

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #822 of 925
uhhh might get this and Momentum and figure out which I like the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back