V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.
Oct 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #466 of 925
Quote:
After sampling some music with the M-100, I am finding a new appreciation for acoustic guitar.  The presentation is so open, accurate and detailed. Anyone have any recommendations that include acoustic guitar?  Nothing too slow, more in the rock category.

I can recommend some music to you my friend. Besides Acoustic music, here are some songs I generally use to test my headphones. I hope you like them.

1. Flamenco Spanish guitar: ( great for testing mids)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BfMTaHuUy8

2. Electronic art rock: (Excellent drums and bass for testing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2RjWZhNk0c

3.Celtic instrumental ( Instrument separation testing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVOOzlmrdjg

4.Progressive metal: ( The Holy Grail for testing ) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUaSi0raSiY&feature=related

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #467 of 925
 I currently have a pair of AD900 and have been thinking of getting a new pair of headphones, but I am not sure about whether or not the m-100 would be an upgrade. Does anyone have both the AD900 and the v-100 who would be willing to do a comparison? Or is anyone willing to do some arm-chair speculation on whether or not the v-100 would suit me more than the ad900? I realize they are different kinds of headphones, but I would like something that 1) has more extensive, punchier bass that 2) can be driven better from a FiiO E7 but also 3) renders mids/highs just as well as the AD900. I'm willing to give up some soundstage if these criteria are met (but I would still like a good sound stage). I'd appreciate input from anyone!  

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #471 of 925
Some quick comparisons to the M-Audio Q40 which Craigster75 was kind enough to PM to me so all credit to him (hope you don't mind me posting!):

Always glad to help answer questions.  They are very different headphones at different price points.  Sonically, the M-100 is at a whole different level- detailed, extended highs, clear mids, tight bass. 

To my ears, the Q40 doesn't have great resolution, but the bass is some of the best I ever heard and I believe it is superior to M-100 bass.

Also, the M-100 is much easier to drive through a portable device without an amp, where the Q40 needs an amp. 

If powerful bass is more important to you, Q40 is a great basshead can for the price.  If overall sound quality with extended highs and solid bass is important, I would say M-100. 

I would also suggest the UE6000 as it is sort of the best of both in one headphone (see my comparison in the thread).

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #472 of 925
Quote:
After sampling some music with the M-100, I am finding a new appreciation for acoustic guitar.  The presentation is so open, accurate and detailed. Anyone have any recommendations that include acoustic guitar?  Nothing too slow, more in the rock category.

I can't exactly swear by the quality of the video below, but just wanted you to try a few Rodrigo y Gabriela songs on the M-100's.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #473 of 925
You should hear "Hanuman" with my dolby headphone foobar2000 config... mindblowing!

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #476 of 925
Leon Dota- good stuff, thanks!  It's nice to finally own a headphone that can reveal the details in this music so beautifully.

Also, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I was up most of the night listening to a little bit of everything and enjoying every minute.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #477 of 925
Quote:
I have only one question. Is m-100 really better than m-80? Don't see anywhere detailed comparison of these two pairs of headphones.

Here's my view of the M-100 with respect to the M-80. I was making notes whilst comparing the M-100 and M-80 side-by-side. Thank you so much for the SharePlay cable.

The M-80 sounds like a gig in a small bar, almost like a personal intimate performance. Whereas with the M-100, the whole music presentation sounds like there's more room to breath. Due to the improved separation, more detail can be heard.

The M-80s also seem to sound more mid thick than the M-100s. I asked Val if the M-100s were mid recessed & his perspective is that it's quite neutral actually and it's due to the strong bass presence that the whole signature is perceived to be U-shaped.  The highs are also forward around the 8kHz mark and mostly flat thereafter, & to my ears are more forward than the M-80's.

Overall the M-100s sound more lush and 3D rich whereas the M-80s almost sound congested by comparison, to my ears at least. However (and different owners will tell you different things so take everything with a pinch of salt), I may have mentioned in PM to a few people and many many posts ago in the prototype M-100 preview,  I felt the M-100 is just a different headphone from the M-80 and I still stand by that. The reason why I feel this way is that the signatures of the two headphones are quite different (primarily due to the M-80's somewhat more forward mids). To me some tracks I like to have the big soundstage whereas at times having that more personal intimate presentation is also sonically rewarding. So yet again, it depends on what you're listening to. In terms of an "overall generalist" though the M-100 may be more suitable to most tracks but there will be the few unique musical styles where the M-80 may shine.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #478 of 925
Hmm, choices choices, M100 or UE6000, the only somewhat worrying aspect for my own preferred sound signature is that the M100's midrange might not be forward and engaging enough for my taste.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #479 of 925
Quote:
Hmm, choices choices, M100 or UE6000, the only somewhat worrying aspect for my own preferred sound signature is that the M100's midrange might not be forward and engaging enough for my taste.

RPG, what kinds of mids would you like? In what headphones would you say whose mids you've enjoyed?

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #480 of 925
Quote:

Here's my view of the M-100 with respect to the M-80. I was making notes whilst comparing the M-100 and M-80 side-by-side. Thank you so much for the SharePlay cable.

The M-80 sounds like a gig in a small bar, almost like a personal intimate performance. Whereas with the M-100, the whole music presentation sounds like there's more room to breath. Due to the improved separation, more detail can be heard.

The M-80s also seem to sound more mid thick than the M-100s. I asked Val if the M-100s were mid recessed & his perspective is that it's quite neutral actually and it's due to the strong bass presence that the whole signature is perceived to be U-shaped.  The highs are also forward around the 8kHz mark and mostly flat thereafter, & to my ears are more forward than the M-80's.

Overall the M-100s sound more lush and 3D rich whereas the M-80s almost sound congested by comparison, to my ears at least. However (and different owners will tell you different things so take everything with a pinch of salt), I may have mentioned in PM to a few people and many many posts ago in the prototype M-100 preview,  I felt the M-100 is just a different headphone from the M-80 and I still stand by that. The reason why I feel this way is that the signatures of the two headphones are quite different (primarily due to the M-80's somewhat more forward mids). To me some tracks I like to have the big soundstage whereas at times having that more personal intimate presentation is also sonically rewarding. So yet again, it depends on what you're listening to. In terms of an "overall generalist" though the M-100 may be more suitable to most tracks but there will be the few unique musical styles where the M-80 may shine.

This is exactly what I heard between the M80 and M100s. I prefer the M80s sound signature more actually but soundstage, comfort, and design goes to the M100. If only we can fuse them both together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back