V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.
Oct 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #436 of 925
Quote:
Well, you have my thoughts on M-100.  I owned Momentum for a day.  While some would say that's not enough time to evaluate, I knew fairly quickly they weren't for me sonically ( although great looking, well built, light and extremely comfortable).  The highs seem artificial and harsh.  Overall detail in mids and highs inferior to M-100.  Bass is loose compared to M-100, doesn't go deep enough and goes to high into the mids to the point that I felt there was some bleed.

There´s a lot of criticism about the momentum... you are not the only one in this forum to return them... That´s kinda sad, I really like the momentum appearance . Well that means the M-100 is my next headphone. BTW, I ordered the UE6000  yesterday! 
basshead.gif
yeahhh!!

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #437 of 925
Honest question here, could someone please help me find the link or quote of where the M-100 is associated to or labeled as an audiophile headphone? I thought I'd been following this thread and the other long M-100 thread since their existence but don't recall this association. But with the number of posts about this headphone, there's a possibility I may have missed it.

It is all over the Engadget article. My assumption is that Val had a significant amount of input on this article/advertisement. They specifically state that they were aiming for an "audiophile" signature rather than a "DJ" signature as in previous models. While "audiophile signature" is clearly not a definitive description around here, I would say that it is reasonable for someone to come to a conclusion similar to mine.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #438 of 925
There´s a lot of criticism about the momentum... you are not the only one in this forum to return them... That´s kinda sad, I really like the momentum appearance . Well that means the M-100 is my next headphone. BTW, I ordered the UE6000  yesterday! :basshead: yeahhh!!

Unfortunately, the Momentum was not designed with us in mind. Overall I think it's a solid package, just not my favorite. Let's hope that Sennheiser continues to use the same attention to design on models intended for their more discerning customers.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #439 of 925
Got it. Thx for the references.

I'd agree the definition of audiophile standard is somewhat a misnomer since there is no official standard.

Anyhow, whatever the definition is & whatever the headphone is classified to be, the Tokyo Head-Fiers I've shared the M-100 to like the sound. And I've brought it along to my dive trip today (now!!) to share it with "non-audiophiles" too.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #440 of 925

Engadget's "V-Moda's M-100 audiophile headphones get ready for mass production, we go ears-on" entry.

M-100 Chronicle Countdown... Captain's V-LOG, Vegadate 62112.8. Our position, orbiting pre production M-100. On board for the Audiophile Prize, Mister Gavin temporarily in command. On the planet the ruins of the long-dead celebrity headphones polluting the audiophile civilisation. Ship's sound engineer and myself are now beaming down to the driver’s purpose. Our mission, precise sound and engin
eering examination of M-100 and each accessory. Routine but for the fact that I am twice shy by the past is a concern. M-100's golden audio units are the best sound we've EVER heard by any audio device in the galaxy. Yet, we encountered one small part that would hurt "golden ear" audiophiles that may hold up production. THIS, MY FRIENDS, is when you decide to launch or not to launch... many companies say yay... we say NAY.

two words, 'read facebook". I'll post daily updates now from the factory to finish there now!!!

here we go...........................................

https://www.facebook.com/VMODA

One comment... OMG OMG OMG...

To me, this is the best sound I've ever heard, if you don't agree, it is okay. But our team has found its "holy audiophile grail".

I don't know how to make Revolver sound better, ****. At least today...

-v

M-100 is a hybrid of what we think is the right sound for a NEW ERA of audiophile, or "modiophile" as I like to call it. M-100 is a bit unique, I think the problem you are finding is more than the "roll off" is artificial spiking. M-100 highs do not roll off as much as M-80 or LP2, in fact they are nearly flat to a much higher frequency BUT there is a huge difference compared to traditional audiophile headphones as we do not bump up or spike 8kHz+.

I cannot risk creating hearing loss, it is against everything I stand for and if you meet me in person you'll understand my anger about the hearing loss kids and society is facing.

EXCITING M-100 UPDATES, CAPTAIN'S LOG COMING...
IMO IT FREAKIN' SOUNDS AMAZING AS I COMP TEST THE FINAL GOLDEN SAMPLE. The final "locked" version was #3 out of the 4 units I chose from.

To me, with every product launch there is a pinnacle of highs when I lock in the sound and features yet what I call a "fright to the finish". You see, we cleared hundreds of sign offs, now only 3 bogies remain (the 4th was the case straps to hold USB/SD, but I solved it). I'll write a small description about what goes on in my head at this stage of the development game and how I have to act fast to fix the final hurdles without tooling changes.

Thankfully, since we are privately owned we can concentrate on six-star ambitions vs quarterly/investor earnings. I strongly feel this relieves most of the pressure to prematurely launch and truly focus on the customer experience.

We are readying PP units for Jude, Tyll, Audiophile media and the privé few! We love to read smart reviews and watch videos that are accurate. I think reviewers of headphones should have a license, like owning a gun (revolver of course).

Yes, they'll drop before July, April is anticipated date. Sorry to keep everybody waiting, the sound of these is very important and is a huge responsibility. I'm assessing all feedback I've received over the last few months, interestingly a lot of the audiophiles liked it bass heavy w some of the M-100 protos as long as the highs were clear, present and extended further. There is a meet in March for Head-Fi in LA, I'll let people try them out!

People love bass, I think we'll see that we have a good balance of bass yet "modern audiophile" just like M-80, but a bit deeper. Don't underestimate the importance of genre, music recordings, masterings in judgment.

BURN-IN
As InnerFidelity points out, the burn-in does change the drivers slightly over time. But it isn't NEAR the perception of sound as the "fit" adjusting to your ears. The cushion + headband adjustment will create a much greater variance than the driver's change. Therefore, we test it usually baked "out of the oven", but if we think its near where we want it we'll listen for hours. If it then passes this test (which took many months on M-100), we go to PP pilot production and Design + Engineering Validation testing. There we can test consistency of the driver in making up to 200 pieces (depending on the initial ~20 results). Once PP is finished and during DEVT, we do real-life DJ/audiophile performance beta testing, focus groups and the in-depth tests including the MIL-STD-810G tests of humidity, vibration, drop, bend, salt spray, temperature, and on and on...

I don't have time to do a fancy drawing now but I'm working on one. Many "audiophile brand" curves actually are not flat and from low to high the SPL is constantly rising. OR they artifically spike the highs. This is terrible... Ours usually have a bass boost (ranging from medium to "freq'), but we aim to keep the mids and highs flat. I like to say "don't get too high"

M-100 is going to be the best low-volume listening we've made IMO because the highs have a much further extension than our other models and the overall clarity is amazing. We do have some bass boost however, so maybe if you listen at 50% volume for older songs we can find an EQ setting that is optimal. Or... another solution is VQ:

We've worked on many Active Noise Cancel/Bluetooth/Misc for over 8 years, yet they are all prototype "junk" in the long term and I'd never use them for more than 1 week. We always stay true to the "I won't release it until I'd use it myself" philosophy (along with 1000s of other pros/audiophiles opinions).

I'm not sure if you were looking for that kind of quoting. Val never said himself that these are "audiophile headphones", but his wording seems to strongly indicate that the M-100's were meant for "modern audiophiles". To me, one does not simply go asking audiophiles to tune a headphone if the headphone was never meant for that audience.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #441 of 925
Quote:
There´s a lot of criticism about the momentum... you are not the only one in this forum to return them... That´s kinda sad, I really like the momentum appearance . Well that means the M-100 is my next headphone. BTW, I ordered the UE6000  yesterday! 
basshead.gif
yeahhh!!

Nice! I am confident you will enjoy.  I am still about 50/50 on my head time with M-100 and UE6000..... maybe 60/40 M-100.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #443 of 925
Quote:
Funny though. I say that I am now less excited based on the review and everyone jumps down my throat to defend a product that most people have not even heard yet. Settle down guys/gals. I may even like the headphone, just might not consider it the most accurate headphone out there.

I apologize if you think I was jumping down your throat, but that was not my intent.  I merely wanted to clarify that the bass on the M-100 did not mean they weren't high quality headphones and that just because V-Moda doesn't offer a +/- .001 db linear reference can that they are a joke.  I happen to be of the first batch to receive and enjoy these headphones, and I have posted my initial impressions in a couple places, but I have not yet put my full review up.  1) because I am new to the terms and have spent a considerable time reading the head-fi speak, but more importantly because I wanted to give them the time they deserve to get a solid opinion.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #447 of 925
I apologize if you think I was jumping down your throat, but that was not my intent.  I merely wanted to clarify that the bass on the M-100 did not mean they weren't high quality headphones and that just because V-Moda doesn't offer a +/- .001 db linear reference can that they are a joke.  I happen to be of the first batch to receive and enjoy these headphones, and I have posted my initial impressions in a couple places, but I have not yet put my full review up.  1) because I am new to the terms and have spent a considerable time reading the head-fi speak, but more importantly because I wanted to give them the time they deserve to get a solid opinion.

I never said they weren't high quality. I also never said they were a joke. If you are going to quote me, please form a valid argument.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #449 of 925
Quote:
There´s a lot of criticism about the momentum... you are not the only one in this forum to return them... That´s kinda sad, I really like the momentum appearance . Well that means the M-100 is my next headphone. 

Sennheiser really needs to get something in to redeem themselves in the portable area. First the Amperior, now the Momentum... If they keep failing like this they're gonna have a serious problem.

I hope Best Buy has these when I go to get my new cell phone... I've demoed every headphone they carry 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back