V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
Jul 21, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #136 of 324
The drawn out wait for the M-100 is making me think of joining the Denon bandwagon.  They haven't been overhyping their headphones for over a year and extending release dates.  Preorder information with detailed specs, descriptions and pictures is already up on several sites.  The early bird gets the worm and I may be purchasing an AH-D600 before anything else.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #137 of 324
Same here, though I think the AH-D600 will be more expensive.

Since I wanna use one of them at the office without disturbing co-workers.
The amount of sound leakage will be a very important.
It looks like the new denons might be really closed vs. the semi closed m-100

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #138 of 324
With Denons I'm concerned about midrange especially, the only Denon which I've demoed that really was to my liking as it had this forward / in-your-face mids which I crave these days is the HP700 (I would imagine the older discontinued D1001 would also be to my liking very much apart from ever so slightly too lean bass response) which has according to other reviewers noticably more forward mids than say for example D7000 (I really don't like when mids are pushed back further than treble), too bad it had a bit too poor bass extension for my needs, otherwise I had loved the sound but the comfort was far less than ideal though but with a little modding it was quite ok. Denon isn't quite the top-concideration when it comes to forward in-your-face mids and often this tends to take a hit (ie. become recessed) in a more budget model in a series of headphones. D1100 was among the most dissappointing purchases I ever did, it was like the total opposite sound I was looking for, even preferred XB500 more over it as it had slightly more forward mids (XB500 had louder & more forward mids but less clear than D1100's very distant and somewhat silent midrange, for me the loudness is more important than the clarity).

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #139 of 324
Hm, I've always wondered what the demographic of those who dislike the M-80s are.  From what I can tell, all of those who feel that the M-80s have woefully poor treble response are probably in their 40s or up?  Val said that they were specifically designed to not have spiked treble where some other audiophile headphones are, because he doesn't want them to cause hearing loss, and he wants them to sound good to those who actually have good hearing still.

This could potentially mean that those who have a hearing loss or are just at the age where that is natural will probably think that the treble simply isn't adequate at all?  I have little to no hearing loss and I am fairly young, and I feel the treble with the M-80s is nearly adequate, but only just a little bit less than I'd like.  On the other hand, the Denons have pretty spiky treble which might sound better to those who have a hearing loss, but would be a little bit much for those without.

I guess this could also explain the split opinions on Grados. (especially considered they are tuned by ear by a rather older man who likely has a hearing loss)

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #140 of 324
Quote:
Hm, I've always wondered what the demographic of those who dislike the M-80s are.  From what I can tell, all of those who feel that the M-80s have woefully poor treble response are probably in their 40s or up?  Val said that they were specifically designed to not have spiked treble where some other audiophile headphones are, because he doesn't want them to cause hearing loss, and he wants them to sound good to those who actually have good hearing still.

This could potentially mean that those who have a hearing loss or are just at the age where that is natural will probably think that the treble simply isn't adequate at all?  I have little to no hearing loss and I am fairly young, and I feel the treble with the M-80s is nearly adequate, but only just a little bit less than I'd like.  On the other hand, the Denons have pretty spiky treble which might sound better to those who have a hearing loss, but would be a little bit much for those without.

I guess this could also explain the split opinions on Grados. (especially considered they are tuned by ear by a rather older man who likely has a hearing loss)

Interesting theory, but I am over 40 and like the sound of the M-80.  Regarding the new Denon's, Steve Guttenberg gave an early general impression of the Music Maniac line that they offer superior sound to the DX000 line, offering incredible transparency.  It sounds like Denon has decided to go more neutral without the spikey treble.  If the bass is weak, I would be curious regarding the sound of the Urban Raver, even though, again,  I am over 40 and they would look silly on my head.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #141 of 324
Quote:
Interesting theory, but I am over 40 and like the sound of the M-80.  Regarding the new Denon's, Steve Guttenberg gave an early general impression of the Music Maniac line that they offer superior sound to the DX000 line, offering incredible transparency.  It sounds like Denon has decided to go more neutral without the spikey treble.  If the bass is weak, I would be curious regarding the sound of the Urban Raver, even though, again,  I am over 40 and they would look silly on my head.

That's the spirit, sound above all! :wink: I don't take my headphones outside personally so wouldn't matter how they look like, in fact it would be rather amusing if friends visited and I could just proudly say "it's the sound what matters not the look".

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #142 of 324
Quote:
The drawn out wait for the M-100 is making me think of joining the Denon bandwagon.  They haven't been overhyping their headphones for over a year and extending release dates.  Preorder information with detailed specs, descriptions and pictures is already up on several sites.  The early bird gets the worm and I may be purchasing an AH-D600 before anything else.

Other than the initial press release, I haven't read much about the new Denon lineup due to the pricing.  Whether you go D600 or D6000, you're still dropping 5 bills.  Now that I think about it, that's probably the only reason I'm interested in the M-100's.  If the $300 dollar V-Moda's don't justify their price tag, then I'll be sticking with the $200 M-80's for portable use.  I already own the D2000 for the majority of my listening pleasure, so I'm okay without making any moves.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #143 of 324
I'm not sure if I would call the headphone release date game (if you believe there is one as I do) between V-Moda and Denon a high stakes game of chicken or Poker.  Both are being extremely tight lipped regarding the exact release date.  In the case of Denon, they have posted all preorder information, but Denon and retailers will not commit to a specific release date for their various new models.  As for V-Moda, Val has been uncharacteristically quiet, even breaking a promise on the M-100 forum to provide an update by the end of last week.  I am wondering about the strategy- does one want to come out first or wait for reviews of the others headphone(s) before releasing theirs?  This is all very interesting competitive theories I am proposing are serving to distract me since release dates continue to be seemingly pushed back.  The marketing machines of both companies are out in full force with market share at stake in the most competitive headphone market ever.  We have the inclusive, accessible, "we're just a small family run company that thinks outside the box" approach of V-Moda vs. the less aggressive, systematic, targeted lifestyle line of Denon.  Both companies may have produced big winners with their approaches.  All I know for sure is that I must hear the M-100, AH-D400 and AH-D600 before making a final decision on my primary, all-purpose, portable, circumaural cans.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #144 of 324
Quote:

That's the spirit, sound above all! :wink: I don't take my headphones outside personally so wouldn't matter how they look like, in fact it would be rather amusing if friends visited and I could just proudly say "it's the sound what matters not the look".

If you look good....don't worry!
I am quite handsome myself for 51(so they say)and no headphone could ruin this!
beyersmile.png

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #145 of 324
Quote:
I'm not sure if I would call the headphone release date game (if you believe there is one as I do) between V-Moda and Denon a high stakes game of chicken or Poker.  Both are being extremely tight lipped regarding the exact release date.  In the case of Denon, they have posted all preorder information, but Denon and retailers will not commit to a specific release date for their various new models.  As for V-Moda, Val has been uncharacteristically quiet, even breaking a promise on the M-100 forum to provide an update by the end of last week.  I am wondering about the strategy- does one want to come out first or wait for reviews of the others headphone(s) before releasing theirs?  This is all very interesting competitive theories I am proposing are serving to distract me since release dates continue to be seemingly pushed back.  The marketing machines of both companies are out in full force with market share at stake in the most competitive headphone market ever.  We have the inclusive, accessible, "we're just a small family run company that thinks outside the box" approach of V-Moda vs. the less aggressive, systematic, targeted lifestyle line of Denon.  Both companies may have produced big winners with their approaches.  All I know for sure is that I must hear the M-100, AH-D400 and AH-D600 before making a final decision on my primary, all-purpose, portable, circumaural cans.

Lookin' for the same thing - having the same thoughts.

Let's hope we hear something from either of them soon.

Quick question - should I worry about the DH400's 64-Ohm impedance? Isn't that too high for a portable player?

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #146 of 324
Quote:
Lookin' for the same thing - having the same thoughts.

Let's hope we hear something from either of them soon.

Quick question - should I worry about the DH400's 64-Ohm impedance? Isn't that too high for a portable player?

I would say no, only because they have a built-in amp.  Plus, you could always add a FiOO E11 that could probably power a 300 ohm headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back