V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
Jul 17, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #121 of 324
Quote:
Would you produce music with them?

No, I'd produce music with monitors.
But I don't produce music so the question is completely irrelevant, since that's not why I'd buy them.
Or more importantly, not even a question I'd ask myself when buying headphones in the first place.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #122 of 324
Quote:
I understand your point to a degree. It doesn't take $400 to make a bassy headphone. Same thing for V-moda. I expect more neutrality, imaging, soundstage and transparency the higher the asking price.

That's the kind of thing I don't get with Denon's old line-up - the D2000/D5000/D7000. The D5000/D7000 are billed as Ultra Reference headphones. Who wants to pay $500 for a bassy refrence monitior?

I think if you want studio headphones you buy the AKG K550, the AKG 271, Sony MDR V7506, MDR V6, the AKG Q701, Brainwavz HM5 and it's derivatives, not Denons or Beats Pro/Studio.

Yes, I agree. Take a look at the PRO700MK2. They are priced below the $200 mark, but are pretty much one of the better basshead cans out there. The bass is not overly bloated, but powerful and detailed. The mid-range and treble are toned down relative to the bass, but that is to be expected. If you go any higher up the price range, you're just going to need to improve the mid-range and highs to compensate for a more balanced sound. A bassy reference monitor sounds like an oxymoron to me, since reference cans ought to be as neutral as possible without much attenuation of the low-end frequencies.

On the topic of target market, are the V-modas actually good headphones for DJing as compared to the Pioneer HDJ2000, Beats Pro, Mix Master Mike, Shure 750DJ and the like. I've never seen any DJs in my areas use V-Modas (nor Aiaiais or M4U2s)..

The most common I've seen are Numarks for DJing.

Well, I've hardly seen any DJs sporting V-MODAs either. I've seen a lot of Pioneer, Technics, Allen & Heath cans as well as Sennheiser's HD25-1. I've even seen Beats Pro being used.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #123 of 324
I was humming along enjoying my M-80's for the past week and made a big mistake by switching to the D2000's.  Now I don't want to put the M-80's back on my head - ever.  There's no question the M-80's lack clarity.  So that has become my #1 concern with the M-100's.  If they don't clean up the sound for their asking price of $300, the portability, comfort, and durability factors won't mean jack. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #124 of 324
Quote:
I was humming along enjoying my M-80's for the past week and made a big mistake by switching to the D2000's.  Now I don't want to put the M-80's back on my head - ever.  There's no question the M-80's lack clarity.  So that has become my #1 concern with the M-100's.  If they don't clean up the sound for their asking price of $300, the portability, comfort, and durability factors won't mean jack. 

it took you a week to realise the M-80's were crap, I'm truly impressed, ever thought of going on one of those Japanese torture shows?... I bet you'd win easy-peasy.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #127 of 324
Oh look at the witty retorts everyone!  It's a real internet fight!

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #128 of 324
Quote:

I never said they were crap.  Take a class in comprehensive reading and then we'll talk.

Quote:

where should I begin?... with Shakespeare perhaps?... classes huh, so confusing on what's the best to educate oneself... got any useful reviews on any?

ps... hope your M-80's sell.

Let's holster our e-peens and keep it civil.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #129 of 324
Quote:

Let's holster our e-peens and keep it civil.

x2

And please ok-guy - at this point I think everyone and their mother knows you didn't like the M-80s. And that's fine. There are many other people who do enjoy them and that's okay too. I don't think you should feel the need to attack them every chance you get. It's getting a little old. Just take it easy and remember it's all subjective in this hobby. There are hps I don't like but I don't try and put them down every chance I get.

And Gclef, all I can tell you is different horses for different courses. I think the biggest different between the two cans besides the fact one is supra and one is circum, is the treble. They just have two different sound sigs and purposes. Personally I find the M-80 to be a nice complement, with very good detail, to some of my more mids/treble heavier cans. For me, the M-80 is just to relax, enjoy and get my groove on. Plus I love how portable they are.

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #130 of 324
Quote:
x2

And Gclef, all I can tell you is different horses for different courses. I think the biggest different between the two cans besides the fact one is supra and one is circum, is the treble. They just have two different sound sigs and purposes. Personally I find the M-80 to be a nice complement, with very good detail, to some of my more mids/treble heavier cans. For me, the M-80 is just to relax, enjoy and get my groove on. Plus I love how portable they are.

I agree with you.  My comment sounded a lot harsher than it was meant to be.  I think the M-80's sound pretty good and are great to take on the road.  I just won't make the mistake of using them at home when I have the D2000's available.  I happen to prefer the Denon sound sig.  My hope is that the M-100's bring V-Moda closer to it.

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #132 of 324
firstly let me please iterate that I did not see Gclef's post as any form of a put-down to me, more a form of irony me being English (native language & all that)... my reply was a ironic riposte which was obviously lost on some.

as for the M-80, I see these wonderful claims that they are 'balanced.. wonderfully detailed.. great bass depth.. fantastic highs' etc etc, unfortunately I never heard any of that with my pair, that I eagerly forked out £170 for.... there was I, like an 'excited lemming on a cliff' waiting for the M-80's to arrive, when they did I was impressed with the packaging, the contents/extras were good, the headphones had real nice design and they felt sturdy in the hand, I was real impressed at that point... then depression set-in.

I can only surmise that if you have a good source with a wide soundstage the M-80's will sound crap, they are by far the worst sounding headphone I have owned in my short time trying to find a good portable set-up... perhaps I'm too spoilt by my home hi-fi system and expect too much from a portable-rig that said, I'm not going to 'sit on the fence' when I know personally that something sounds crap.

a lil adage if I may... falling for the hype once you can put down to experience, falling for it a second time will mean you're probably young or stupid.... I'll be waiting for the more sensible reviews on the M-100 tyvm.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #133 of 324
Quote:
firstly let me please iterate that I did not see Gclef's post as any form of a put-down to me, more a form of irony me being English (native language & all that)... my reply was a ironic riposte which was obviously lost on some.

as for the M-80, I see these wonderful claims that they are 'balanced.. wonderfully detailed.. great bass depth.. fantastic highs' etc etc, unfortunately I never heard any of that with my pair, that I eagerly forked out £170 for.... there was I, like an 'excited lemming on a cliff' waiting for the M-80's to arrive, when they did I was impressed with the packaging, the contents/extras were good, the headphones had real nice design and they felt sturdy in the hand, I was real impressed at that point... then depression set-in.

I can only surmise that if you have a good source with a wide soundstage the M-80's will sound crap, they are by far the worst sounding headphone I have owned in my short time trying to find a good portable set-up... perhaps I'm too spoilt by my home hi-fi system and expect too much from a portable-rig that said, I'm not going to 'sit on the fence' when I know personally that something sounds crap.

a lil adage if I may... falling for the hype once you can put down to experience, falling for it a second time will mean you're probably young or stupid.... I'll be waiting for the more sensible reviews on the M-100 tyvm.

Well, the bolded part ... I mean, obviously you should let people know your opinions on things, but your opinion on this is pretty widespread and we're not getting anything out of your campaign for the destruction of every M-80 in existence. This thread was made for non-fanboys, and I think that should go the other way as well - you do not have a level-headed expectation of the M-100 in a negative aspect, where the other thread is people who are literally crowning them before they even know what the final production models look like. It's obvious you WANT them to be good but I don't think your personal doubts should lead you to bullying other users.

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #135 of 324
I'm pretty sure that was a long-winded, really nice way of saying "OK we get it, now please **** about it already!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back