V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
Jul 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #106 of 324
for Craigster... copied from the WM-Z thread...

how I've found the Philips Fidelio M1 with the WM-Z1070...

build quality is good, so is the design and they are very comfortable, straight out of the box they are very veiled, don't get me wrong the soundstage is ample and so is the separation... the best way to describe it is if you threw a towel over one of your speakers which would result is some type of loss in definition.

20-30hours on and it's a different story things are a lot more defined and the sound emitting from the M1's is really quite enjoyable... I suppose you can only really judge these cans against a rival of a similar price-point so that would be V-Moda M-80's (I can only judge by what I've owned), to be honest there is no contest sound-wise as the M1 buries the M-80 at every turn though construction wise I would say that the V-Moda's have this sewn up... these M1's will rival both the DT1350's and the Amperiors sound-wise if not better but there is still a smidgen of a veil over the music but it's not annoying... the bass goes deep probably the best of all the cans I've owned so far, the mids can be a revelation but the highs can seem recessed on certain genres of music, to be completely honest if piano music is your forte (read rock, acoustic & vocal as well), these cans could really rock you boat as I found with music where the piano was to the fore these headphones really excel... for a pure portable on the move these are worthy of serious consideration just don't expect a 'DJ-Can' build that said these are not marketed as such.

I'm returning the M1's to the retailer tomorrow but I'll probably buy them again in a couple of months when I have an amp sorted (yes I really like M1's for a portable... that and Duncan's thoughts about them sounding even better when amp'ed)... to be nice and genuine about a return I pulled one of the surround to one of cups off (don't try this at home disclaimer), the speaker sits beneath the the surround/cover so I tried them out one cup with and one without, the definition that comes out is truly remarkable so one can only assume that it is the material covering the cups that are giving the slightly veiled sound which is a shame as that little mark-down make the M1's a good portable headphone instead of an excellent one.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #107 of 324
Quote:
That Denon is just...
Blue LEDs wat is this I don't even
It's like those Reeboks in the '90s that had red LEDs in the soles that lit up with every step you took.

But this is the M-100 Non Fanboy Edition thread for Non Fanboys of the M-100. (
rolleyes.gif
)
So I'll save the Denon talk for the Denon thread.  I only hope I choose the right thread, I don't want to step on any non fanboy toes and upset people with weak dispositions by putting my text in the wrong thread.  Can you imagine if a Denon fanboy stepped into a non fanboy Denon thread?  God I don't even want to consider the consequences.  Wish me luck guys.

I started this thread in attempt of getting honest reviews and opinions of the M-100's when they hit the street.  If anything, I'm a borderline Denon fanboy myself, I have or had both D2000 & D7000.  Did you really think the V-Moda fanboy could truly resist this thread?  Outside of a couple of them here and there, I'm happy that most who have posted here are not V-moda groupies.  Ultimately, I'm hoping for some reviews comparing the M-100's to the D2000's.  I truly think the D2000's are the headphones to beat at the $300 price point (portability aside).  In the portable category, I'm interested in hearing how they measure up to the DT1350's as well.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #108 of 324
Quote:

This headphone both makes me laugh & cry at the same time, laugh cuz it's Denon (WHO ON EARTH had expected Denon to ever release anything close to this) and cry (out of joy) because it seems stronger bass is also finding its way to more expensier headphones (still has to sound good to warrant the price obviously).

When the typical audiophile reads, built-in amp to power up bass and LEDs I'm sure they'll be like *facepalm* though haha

I understand your point to a degree. It doesn't take $400 to make a bassy headphone. Same thing for V-moda. I expect more neutrality, imaging, soundstage and transparency the higher the asking price.

That's the kind of thing I don't get with Denon's old line-up - the D2000/D5000/D7000. The D5000/D7000 are billed as Ultra Reference headphones. Who wants to pay $500 for a bassy refrence monitior?

I think if you want studio headphones you buy the AKG K550, the AKG 271, Sony MDR V7506, MDR V6, the AKG Q701, Brainwavz HM5 and it's derivatives, not Denons or Beats Pro/Studio.

It seems to me Denon and V-moda are targetting the same market as Beats, Skullcandy, Bose and PSB. The portable lifestyle phones.

On the topic of target market, are the V-modas actually good headphones for DJing as compared to the Pioneer HDJ2000, Beats Pro, Mix Master Mike, Shure 750DJ and the like. I've never seen any DJs in my areas use V-Modas (nor Aiaiais or M4U2s)..

The most common I've seen are Numarks for DJing.

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #109 of 324
Quote:
It's going to be the showdown for the ultimate portable commuter bassy headphone:

1. V-Moda M-100
2. AiAiAi TMA-1 Studio
3. PSB M4U2
4. Denon Urban Raver AH-C400
5. AKG by Tiesto
6. Ultrasone Signature Pro
7. Beyerdynamic Custom

Who will arise victorious?

My wallet is about to burst and my credit cards are begging to be maxed out and my cheques are bound to bounce! I CANNN't WAIT ANY LONGERER!!! 

Thius wait is tearing my life apart!!!!

I can knock some out of there now. Apparently, according to some, the Signature pro has been out-done by the PSB M4U2's, which also out-do the TMA-1 Studios. The TMA-1 Studios are apparently really veiled, and don't have bass where they need it. They have the quantity, but not the extension the originals were known for.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: WHOA WHAT. I just looked at those Denon D-400's - WHAT THE HELL is with that impedance!? 64 Ohms, with the power on? Is that because it uses your device to power those stupid lights? 

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #110 of 324
Quote:
That's the kind of thing I don't get with Denon's old line-up - the D2000/D5000/D7000. The D5000/D7000 are billed as Ultra Reference headphones. Who wants to pay $500 for a bassy refrence monitior?

I would gladly for the sound they offer.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #112 of 324
Quote:

I can knock some out of there now. Apparently, according to some, the Signature pro has been out-done by the PSB M4U2's, which also out-do the TMA-1 Studios. The TMA-1 Studios are apparently really veiled, and don't have bass where they need it. They have the quantity, but not the extension the originals were known for.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: WHOA WHAT. I just looked at those Denon D-400's - WHAT THE HELL is with that impedance!? 64 Ohms, with the power on? Is that because it uses your device to power those stupid lights? 

Maybe it's to get rid of the noise floor? I don't see the point of the lights, however. Seems like a waste of battery life and materials.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #113 of 324
Quote:

Where is the population that thinks the PSBs outshines the Signature Pros? (btw, PSBs are actually producing new batches of the headphones due to the known "cracks" that kept developing on those...)

I haven't seen anything of that sort...

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #114 of 324
Quote:

Where is the population that thinks the PSBs outshines the Signature Pros? (btw, PSBs are actually producing new batches of the headphones due to the known "cracks" that kept developing on those...)

I haven't seen anything of that sort...

In the PSB M4U thread - specifically concentrated in these posts:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/605079/psb-m4u-2/15#post_8485260  http://www.head-fi.org/t/605079/psb-m4u-2/30#post_8492607

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #115 of 324
So you based your post on opinions from members with a limited listening session with both headphones?!? (and BTW, Ed.8s != Sig Pros).

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #118 of 324
Quote:
In the PSB M4U thread - specifically concentrated in these posts:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/605079/psb-m4u-2/15#post_8485260  http://www.head-fi.org/t/605079/psb-m4u-2/30#post_8492607

I don't believe I said the M4U2 outshines the Sig Pro.  To clarify, I believe the M4U2 holds its own sonically with the Sig Pro at a much lower price point.  I would still give the sonic edge to the Sig Pro, but consider the M4U2 to be the better overall value.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #119 of 324
Quote:
I don't believe I said the M4U2 outshines the Sig Pro.  To clarify, I believe the M4U2 holds its own sonically with the Sig Pro at a much lower price point.  I would still give the sonic edge to the Sig Pro, but consider the M4U2 to be the better overall value.

I guess - but it's still a good sign for the PSB M4U  - either way, I'll have my new headphones for sure by fall, but I'm not sure if it will be the PSB's or the V-MODA's... 
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #120 of 324
Quote:
I guess - but it's still a good sign for the PSB M4U  - either way, I'll have my new headphones for sure by fall, but I'm not sure if it will be the PSB's or the V-MODA's... 
tongue.gif

The new Denon line could also surprise in a good way.  This one may be able to compete with with the M4U2 and Sig Pro as a more neutral audiophile can that, unlike the DX000 line, is also designed to work well as a portable (if the Urban Raver comes off as too much of a rapper can):

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AHD600/Denon-AH-D600-Music-Maniac.html?tp=36761

The M-100 may still hit the sweet spot in between portable basshead and audiophile can at a lower price.  Like you said, it may take untill fall for the dust to settle enough from the 2012 headphone wars for me to declare a winner with my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back