V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
Jul 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #92 of 324
Quote:
.  My biggest gripe with the M-80 right now, though I can definitely live with it, is the perceived "muddiness" to the sound.  While it is nice to have highs that don't pierce your ears, I think that they really are just a liiiittle bit too recessed with the M-80 which is probably what makes them sound a bit muddy relative to other headphones/speakers.  But that perception, to me, tends to wear off after using them for a few minutes, it's most noticeable when actually switching back and forth.

I agree with you 100%.  That's exactly how I feel.  I'm hoping that's exactly what they're targeting with the M-100's.  In comparison to the M-80's, the addition of 3db or 5 db bass is negligible compared to the significant impact that some clarity and detail would bring to the party.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #95 of 324
Quote:
I really hope they get the sound right with them.  My biggest gripe with the M-80 right now, though I can definitely live with it, is the perceived "muddiness" to the sound.  While it is nice to have highs that don't pierce your ears, I think that they really are just a liiiittle bit too recessed with the M-80 which is probably what makes them sound a bit muddy relative to other headphones/speakers.  But that perception, to me, tends to wear off after using them for a few minutes, it's most noticeable when actually switching back and forth.

This this and this. It seems like very few people pick up on this nuance. Most people don't make any mention of this and just say that the M-80s are decently balanced and that the mids/highs are good just like the bass. While the mids/highs do seem to have a good presence, they are definitely lacking in clarity and sound muddy compared to other headphones. Vocals can be downright disappointing when I switch from my KRK KNS 8400s to the M-80s. The vocals are there, to a solid degree too, just not with the right clarity. Now I don't expect a more fun can to have the same clarity as detail monster monitors, but it seems like the clarity of the M-80s could easily be improved upon.

My hoping is that it is in large part because they are supra-aural. Hopefully the switch to circumaural with the M-100s can help alleviate this issue.

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #96 of 324
Quote:
So, what's the latest status on the M-100's?  I won't dare enter that other thread.  Last I heard was 1st week in Aug for production units, is that still the case?

Haha. Looking for something in that thread is going to be difficult, even with the Search function.

A little bit off-topic, but this concerns the Crossfade LP2. Does anyone know where I can get a shorter, non-mic cable for the LP2? The plain cable with mine is 80' long, which is a little too long for daily use. Thanks in advance.

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #97 of 324
Quote:

Haha. Looking for something in that thread is going to be difficult, even with the Search function.

A little bit off-topic, but this concerns the Crossfade LP2. Does anyone know where I can get a shorter, non-mic cable for the LP2? The plain cable with mine is 80' long, which is a little too long for daily use. Thanks in advance.

You could try something like this? :p

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Headphone-Headphones-Monster-Studio/dp/B007B8S4JI

Not sure if it'd fit or not, but I think it probably would.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #98 of 324
Quote:

From V-MODA?
I know they sell both, the audio-only and mic version cables...

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #99 of 324
Quote:
This this and this. It seems like very few people pick up on this nuance. Most people don't make any mention of this and just say that the M-80s are decently balanced and that the mids/highs are good just like the bass. While the mids/highs do seem to have a good presence, they are definitely lacking in clarity and sound muddy compared to other headphones. Vocals can be downright disappointing when I switch from my KRK KNS 8400s to the M-80s. The vocals are there, to a solid degree too, just not with the right clarity. Now I don't expect a more fun can to have the same clarity as detail monster monitors, but it seems like the clarity of the M-80s could easily be improved upon.

My hoping is that it is in large part because they are supra-aural. Hopefully the switch to circumaural with the M-100s can help alleviate this issue.

I think this might a matter of who V-moda is targeting - The DJ/Commuter crowd. I tend to listen at home in a quiet environment at low volumes so Hi-Fi cans tend to fit me well with accentuated Treble. The V-Modas are targeted at commuters and wanna be DJs so the highs are rolled off to not make them piercing at high volumes and lots of outside noise.

I want the most the most detail I can get without having compressed files sound terrible and I can handle a good amount of siblance and harshness to get to that end I also take many frequent breaks. I think the DJ crowd wants a clean sound without fatigue for many hours on end at high volumes.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #101 of 324
Quote:
This looks like some very interesting competition for the M-100 that may come out at the same time, or, at this rate, sooner.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gDaE9ogRH1L/p_033AHD400/Denon-AH-D400-Urban-Raver.html#overview-tab

This headphone both makes me laugh & cry at the same time, laugh cuz it's Denon (WHO ON EARTH had expected Denon to ever release anything close to this) and cry (out of joy) because it seems stronger bass is also finding its way to more expensier headphones (still has to sound good to warrant the price obviously).

When the typical audiophile reads, built-in amp to power up bass and LEDs I'm sure they'll be like *facepalm* though haha

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #102 of 324
Quote:

This headphone both makes me laugh & cry at the same time, laugh cuz it's Denon (WHO ON EARTH had expected Denon to ever release anything close to this) and cry (out of joy) because it seems stronger bass is also finding its way to more expensier headphones (still has to sound good to warrant the price obviously).

When the typical audiophile reads, built-in amp to power up bass and LEDs I'm sure they'll be like *facepalm* though haha

I understand the mixed feelings, but I plan to judge objectively on the sound, both amped and unamped.  I have to charge my Iphone and FiiO E11, so why not my headphone :)  Heck, I may even hold off purchasing the M-100 until I hear these in-store.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #103 of 324
Quote:
You could try something like this? :p

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Headphone-Headphones-Monster-Studio/dp/B007B8S4JI

Not sure if it'd fit or not, but I think it probably would.

Yeah, it looks like it could fit. But god forbid, I'll be matching a V-MODA with Monster cables. I hope Val doesn't catch me sporting this unholy combo anytime soon. :D

Quote:

From V-MODA?
I know they sell both, the audio-only and mic version cables...

The audio-only cable is really long. 80' to be exact. I need something shorter, since I don't want to be wrapping them around my player and amp all the time. The mic-cable is shorter at about 50' long, but I don't really want to have the mic sticking out all the time. Besides, I don't even use my cans with my phone. =/

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #104 of 324
That Denon is just...
Blue LEDs wat is this I don't even
It's like those Reeboks in the '90s that had red LEDs in the soles that lit up with every step you took.

But this is the M-100 Non Fanboy Edition thread for Non Fanboys of the M-100. (
rolleyes.gif
)
So I'll save the Denon talk for the Denon thread.  I only hope I choose the right thread, I don't want to step on any non fanboy toes and upset people with weak dispositions by putting my text in the wrong thread.  Can you imagine if a Denon fanboy stepped into a non fanboy Denon thread?  God I don't even want to consider the consequences.  Wish me luck guys.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #105 of 324
It's going to be the showdown for the ultimate portable commuter bassy headphone:

1. V-Moda M-100
2. AiAiAi TMA-1 Studio
3. PSB M4U2
4. Denon Urban Raver AH-C400
5. AKG by Tiesto
6. Ultrasone Signature Pro
7. Beyerdynamic Custom

Who will arise victorious?

My wallet is about to burst and my credit cards are begging to be maxed out and my cheques are bound to bounce! I CANNN't WAIT ANY LONGERER!!! 

Thius wait is tearing my life apart!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back