V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
Jul 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #63 of 324
Is there a viable alternative to the promise of the M-100 which would be a portable circumaural with accurate, detailed mids, neutral highs (neither bright, nor dark) and accentuated bass?  Truly, the only headphone I have come across that is even close to that sound signature is the PSB M4U2, but I would like even a little more bass.  The Ultrasone Signature Pro also comes close, with powerful bass that is too close to neutral, but great detail in mids and highs without being bright or sibilant.  Then there's the Denon Urban Ravers coming out soon, but I have a feeling they may have too much of a V-curve (based on Denon's press release) like most Ultrasones.  The M-Audio Q40 has the PERFECT, EXACT bass I want which is deep, powerful and doesn't bleed into the mids at all, but the dealbreaker on those was sibilance (even though they weren't bright), so I returned them.  What to do?????

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #64 of 324
Quote:
Is there a viable alternative to the promise of the M-100 which would be a portable circumaural with accurate, detailed mids, neutral highs (neither bright, nor dark) and accentuated bass?  Truly, the only headphone I have come across that is even close to that sound signature is the PSB M4U2, but I would like even a little more bass.  The Ultrasone Signature Pro also comes close, with powerful bass that is too close to neutral, but great detail in mids and highs without being bright or sibilant.  Then there's the Denon Urban Ravers coming out soon, but I have a feeling they may have too much of a V-curve (based on Denon's press release) like most Ultrasones.  The M-Audio Q40 has the PERFECT, EXACT bass I want which is deep, powerful and doesn't bleed into the mids at all, but the dealbreaker on those was sibilance (even though they weren't bright), so I returned them.  What to do?????

Nothing to do but wait!  Val is still aiming for a July release, and their return policy is pretty generous, so you'd probably be pretty safe getting a pair when they come out to try them.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #65 of 324
I heard that the bass on the M100 is really overblown. People including myself will be staying away in droves if that is the case..

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #66 of 324
Quote:
I heard that the bass on the M100 is really overblown.

From? As far as I know, only one head-fier (with the exception of Val, of course) has actually listened to the M-100s...and he had this to say in his latest impressions of a pre-production unit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The bass I've heard today are much more textured, smooth and refined. I recall seeing some post in this thread about the LP2 type bass, at least in my opinion, it's not comparable - I'm not gonna be shy about this to say that I'm probably not too much of an LP2 fan but, I'm definitely like the M-80 and after tonight, M series as a whole. In fact anyone who searches my impressions of the May M-100 prototype may recall that I even mentioned that the bass was somewhat boomy but today's experience was a completely different. In fact I find it hard to accept that it's even the same iteration of the product. This is probably one of the most welcoming surprises in today's quick listen.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #67 of 324
Quote:

Denon D5000, Ultrasone Signature Pro, Fostex TH900 should give you A LOT of bass without messing with the mids and not piercing your ears with highs... But... I wouldn't go out on the streets with woodies! LOL
If it is for home/office use, they should do.

Still I would love to try the new Denons and the M-100... #waiting

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #68 of 324
Quote:

Denon D5000, Ultrasone Signature Pro, Fostex TH900 should give you A LOT of bass without messing with the mids and not piercing your ears with highs... But... I wouldn't go out on the streets with woodies! LOL

Portability is really key for me since I do most of my listening on the go which rules out the D5000 and Fostex TH900.  The Sig Pro is still in play, but I would love to save $1,000 AND have a fantastic sounding headphone, so I suppose nothing to do but wait......

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #69 of 324
Quote:

I love the Dxxx line and also wish there was similar sounding headphones in a portable package.  If the M-100's have a similar sound sig I'd be very happy.  However, because I got disgusted pretty quickly in that other thread and didn't really get to read much, I have no idea if/how portable the M-100's truly will be?  How big are those earcups?  I took the HFI-2400's for a test drive (for other reasons) and must say that the size (and design) of those are perfect for closed portable headphones (too bad they're open).  Are the M-100's the same size as the LP/2's?  If so, I can check those out to see if (physically) I'm barking up the wrong tree (?)

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #70 of 324
Quote:

I love the Dxxx line and also wish there was similar sounding headphones in a portable package.  If the M-100's have a similar sound sig I'd be very happy.  However, because I got disgusted pretty quickly in that other thread and didn't really get to read much, I have no idea if/how portable the M-100's truly will be?  How big are those earcups?  I took the HFI-2400's for a test drive (for other reasons) and must say that the size (and design) of those are perfect for closed portable headphones (too bad they're open).  Are the M-100's the same size as the LP/2's?  If so, I can check those out to see if (physically) I'm barking up the wrong tree (?)

They're exactly the same as the LP on the outside, other than the folding mechanism.  From pictures I've seen they don't look that big - they're definitely what one would classify as "portable."  They were clearly designed to be small enough to be worn around the neck.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #71 of 324
Quote:
They're exactly the same as the LP on the outside, other than the folding mechanism.  From pictures I've seen they don't look that big - they're definitely what one would classify as "portable."  They were clearly designed to be small enough to be worn around the neck.

The "claws" made out of metal holding together the cup ain't resting very comfortably against your body, that much I can tell.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #72 of 324
Quote:

The "claws" made out of metal holding together the cup ain't resting very comfortably against your body, that much I can tell.

I'm wondering if the folding cups retract using some sort of spring mechanism so that the soft cups would be resting against the skin when wearing around the neck instead of the "claws"?

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #73 of 324
Quote:

Great news.  I much prefer over the ear vs. on the ear, so with a minimalist design included, the portability factor should be covered.  And along with high quality and clear sound and the right (crowd pleasing) frequency dynamics, these will be a winner and definitely worth $300.  Anything less and they'll be way overpriced and just another face in the crowd.

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #74 of 324
@Gclef
I've never seen a circumaural 'phone that I'd consider truly portable.  They're what I call transportable.  For example, I consider the M-80 a portable version of the M-100, e.g., I'd wear M-80s while I transported my M-100 in my bag with me for when I get to my destination.  No matter what anyone says, if a headphone needs an amp to be driven from a DMP, it is not portable, period.  But that's all just IMO.  I know I'm probably in the minority.

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #75 of 324
Quote:
No matter what anyone says, if a headphone needs an amp to be driven from a DMP, it is not portable, period.  But that's all just IMO.

I'd agree with that -- Although the M-100 isn't supposed to need an external amp to perform well from a portable player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back