V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
Jul 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #46 of 324
The only "bad" thing about those PSBs that bother me is the build quiality. The V-MODAs will definitely step all over them in that regard. Anyway Audio Advisor has some demo units of the PSBs for $350...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1PBM4U2

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #47 of 324
Quote:
I haven't heard M80 as I don't want on-ear anyway so can't comment on those but LP2 sounds quite bad to my ears for the price paid so ofc I'm a little more sceptical than most other M100 followers out there, especially at $300 pricetag. ^^

The thing with LPs tho is that they are made for DJs as I understand and meant to be listened loud and therefore the highs are made quite pushed back and I prefer low-level listening or as low as possible anyway where I get maximum enjoyment, I always use a fixed volume setting at which the lowest possible which I think satisfies me fully and I think the LP2s had way too laid-back highs for my liking at this setting (had to EQ up about 3.5dB at 8kHz and 5.5dB at 16kHz to get it even with the midrange) and the bass wasn't of the best quality, a bit too boomy/non-textured for my taste. Also it had an annoying spike and possibly some resonance in the upper-mids at 3.5kHz or so which made especially female vocals a bit unnatural / shouty sounding. Subjective sound quality on the LP2s IMO, ~$75 without EQ and ~$135 with optimal EQ settings.

The LP2 and M-80 are very different cans sharing the same design principles. Unlike the LP2, which are really just bass machines, the M-80 presents a much more refined sound that is quite pleasing to the average consumer. It's not as bassy as its bigger brother, but it ticks all the boxes for a good headphone in that price range. I fear the M-100 might price itself out of contention, especially considering the $100 price premium over both the LP2 and M-80.

I'm going to have to wait for the reviews to come in, but I'll spring for an M-100 only if its general sound signature is a slightly improved M-80 with greater bass quantity (in the +8-10db range). I'm afraid the hype has already gotten to me, though.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #48 of 324
Quote:

The LP2 and M-80 are very different cans sharing the same design principles. Unlike the LP2, which are really just bass machines, the M-80 presents a much more refined sound that is quite pleasing to the average consumer. It's not as bassy as its bigger brother, but it ticks all the boxes for a good headphone in that price range. I fear the M-100 might price itself out of contention, especially considering the $100 price premium over both the LP2 and M-80.

I'm going to have to wait for the reviews to come in, but I'll spring for an M-100 only if its general sound signature is a slightly improved M-80 with greater bass quantity (in the +8-10db range). I'm afraid the hype has already gotten to me, though.

I agree with you for the most part.  I paid $150 for my M-80's, and I think that's a fair price for what they deliver.  Will the M-100's deliver $300 dollar sound?   Is there something that truly justifies the $100 price increase above the LP/2's?   I'm very happy with my D2000's for the $290 I spent, and that will be my own personal measuring stick.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #49 of 324
Quote:

I agree with you for the most part.  I paid $150 for my M-80's, and I think that's a fair price for what they deliver.  Will the M-100's deliver $300 dollar sound?   Is there something that truly justifies the $100 price increase above the LP/2's?   I'm very happy with my D2000's for the $290 I spent, and that will be my own personal measuring stick.

Yea Denon D2000 is an interesting and very valid competitor even if it's discontinued, it's a good measure. Also bass quantity wise I'd also think it would be interesting to compare it versus Ultrasone PRO900 as they both seem like they might pack similar amount bass and see if M100 manages to outclass it in terms of versatality which I'd expect. Against Denon D2000 I'm expecting M100 to have more forward mids (which is my personal complaint about D2000) and more engaging sound (D2000 has a slightly non-involving sound, it's spectacular but it's not very "personal/intimate", if that makes any sense) with a bit stronger bass (impact/punch) and slightly less highs (Denon D2000 has slightly above neutral highs presence, a mild V-shape signature) and I expect on M100 them to be remain rather neutral or slightly recessed knowing V-Moda isn't a fan of emphasized highs. Denon D2000 has a great soundstage for a closed headphones if it can be called closed as it sits so lightly on the head the isolation is so poor and this also results in a bigger soundstage, I have a pair of cheap Philips headphones which has this similar kind of design that sits very very lightly around the ears and it also happens to have probably the largest soundstage I've heard so far due to this design (pressing it against my ears hurts soundstage significantly). So yea it's only natural to expect a smaller soundstage from M100 vs D2000. But the M100 also have the 3 V-shaped openings at the back which makes it more a semi-closed design too so it doesn't have to be far behind at all. In terms of imaging and transparency it will be more interesting to hear more how it compares though.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #51 of 324
Quote:

Yea Denon D2000 is an interesting and very valid competitor even if it's discontinued, it's a good measure. Also bass quantity wise I'd also think it would be interesting to compare it versus Ultrasone PRO900 as they both seem like they might pack similar amount bass and see if M100 manages to outclass it in terms of versatality which I'd expect. Against Denon D2000 I'm expecting M100 to have more forward mids (which is my personal complaint about D2000) and more engaging sound (D2000 has a slightly non-involving sound, it's spectacular but it's not very "personal/intimate", if that makes any sense) with a bit stronger bass (impact/punch) and slightly less highs (Denon D2000 has slightly above neutral highs presence, a mild V-shape signature) and I expect on M100 them to be remain rather neutral or slightly recessed knowing V-Moda isn't a fan of emphasized highs. Denon D2000 has a great soundstage for a closed headphones if it can be called closed as it sits so lightly on the head the isolation is so poor and this also results in a bigger soundstage, I have a pair of cheap Philips headphones which has this similar kind of design that sits very very lightly on the ears and it also happens to have probably the largest soundstage I've heard so far due to this design (pressing it against my ears hurts soundstage significantly). So yea it's only natural to expect a smaller soundstage from M100 vs D2000. In terms of imaging and transparency it will be more interesting to hear more how it compares though.

Again, we're definitely on the same page.  Good Call on the Pro 900's.  I'd also throw in the K550's.  I haven't heard the AKG's myself, but from what I've read, they sound great...and if you pump up and punch out more bass, they might also hit the mark (?)  Each of the 3 headphones we mentioned between us are very good...each has its own drawbacks.   As will the M-100's.  Hopefully in this thread we'll learn where those hits and misses are. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #52 of 324
How about we leave this thread until someone actually has heard the M-100 and posts impressions. I stopped really following the first thread because it was all nonsense so I vote keep the discussion out until we get impressions (speculation has been done to death). 

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #53 of 324
Quote:

Again, we're definitely on the same page.  Good Call on the Pro 900's.  I'd also throw in the K550's.  I haven't heard the AKG's myself, but from what I've read, they sound great...and if you pump up and punch out more bass, they might also hit the mark (?)  Each of the 3 headphones we mentioned between us are very good...each has its own drawbacks.   As will the M-100's.  Hopefully in this thread we'll learn where those hits and misses are. 

I have heard the K500 and it is a major disappointment- unable to get a good seal because of their HUGE cups and sounded lifeless as a result.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #54 of 324
Quote:
How about we leave this thread until someone actually has heard the M-100 and posts impressions. I stopped really following the first thread because it was all nonsense so I vote keep the discussion out until we get impressions (speculation has been done to death). 

I don't think that's necessary. The whole point of this thread is level-headed discussion, which we've got so far.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #55 of 324
my Philips Fidelio M1's arrived just now.. initial impressions, these will bury the M-80's... compared to the Amperiors the soundstage is wider.. almost like the Beyer DT1350's but with a bit more detail... first 30mins thoughts.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #56 of 324
Quote:
my Philips Fidelio M1's arrived just now.. initial impressions, these will bury the M-80's... compared to the Amperiors the soundstage is wider.. almost like the Beyer DT1350's but with a bit more detail... first 30mins thoughts.

Some reviews say they have a somewhat subdued high and and lack detail.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #57 of 324
I haven't heard many of these headphones you're all mentioning - but I will be able to compare the M-100's to the AIAIAI TMA-1's, and the Audio Technica ATH-M50's - hopefully I can help some people get a feel for them once they're out by doing that.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #58 of 324
Quote:
Some reviews say they have a somewhat subdued high and and lack detail.  Please let me know your thoughts.

the highs are there but as you say a bit subdued, the detail is there and so is the soundstage... yet again there is a 'but' and this time it's down to my WM-Z, I have a feeling I am going to have to get a portable amp.

I noticed with the DT1350's they seemed a bit under powered and so it is the case with the M1's unlike the Amperiors (& Grado's) that were easily driven by my WM-Z... Duncan (the moderator) has told me that these are great when amp'ed... I'm going to let them burn-in for about 12hrs without listening to them, hopefully this will loosen them up.

one thing I will say about these is that they are the most comfortable headphones I have tried to date and the packaging is not quite Amperior class but it is real good.... I'll get some photo's done by Sunday.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #59 of 324
Quote:
I haven't heard many of these headphones you're all mentioning - but I will be able to compare the M-100's to the AIAIAI TMA-1's, and the Audio Technica ATH-M50's - hopefully I can help some people get a feel for them once they're out by doing that.

I have auditioned both and will be seriously disappointed if the M-100 isn't vastly superior to both, particularly since the M-100 is much more expensive than either.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #60 of 324
Quote:
I have auditioned both and will be seriously disappointed if the M-100 isn't vastly superior to both, particularly since the M-100 is much more expensive than either.

Agreed - same here. But since the M50 especially is so wide-spread here on Head-Fi, it makes a good comparison point for many. I will leave the more dedicated, "buy them all" users to do review/comparisons against other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back