V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
Jul 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #31 of 324
Quote:
Actually, I've never really got a chance to ask this in the other thread, but what is it that you guys want from the M-100? Better bass performance? Overall higher quality sound? Better highs?

For me, I just want an M-80 with greater bass quantity without sacrificing on the detail. As I prefer to listen on my LP2s to my M-80s (chiefly due to the comfort of the former), the M-100 pretty much has that covered. I think a larger M-80 with the same general sound signature with better bass is pretty much what I'm looking for.

For me it's a bit more bass with great texture and punch and better extension in the highs which is from the little I gathered about its sound is what's been added. :p

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #32 of 324
Quote:
Actually, I've never really got a chance to ask this in the other thread, but what is it that you guys want from the M-100? Better bass performance? Overall higher quality sound? Better highs?

For me, I just want an M-80 with greater bass quantity without sacrificing on the detail. As I prefer to listen on my LP2s to my M-80s (chiefly due to the comfort of the former), the M-100 pretty much has that covered. I think a larger M-80 with the same general sound signature with better bass is pretty much what I'm looking for.

I have spent way too much time and energy searching for my ultimate headphone, but I have a specific answer after auditioning dozens of headphones over the past several months to avoid the mistake of one of my worst purchases ever- Ludacris Soul SL300s. 

I find the mids pleasing on the M-80. I would like more detail in the mids, similar to an Ultrasone Signature Pro or Edition 8.

I would like to see more high end extension without becoming bright and NO SIBILANCE.

I would also like the M-100 to match the EXACT bass of the M-Audio Q40 which I felt had enough punch and depth to make me feel like I was in a club when inclined to listen to that type of music without bleeding into the mids so that other genres were not overloaded by bass.

If, for some unexpected reason, the M-100 disappoints, I will turn to the lesser discussed, but deserving PSB M4U2.  I find the mids and highs to be perfection to my ears.  They also have fantastic deep, punchy bass that falls a little short of the Q40.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #33 of 324
Quote:

For me, the M-80's roll off just a little too quickly.  On one hand, I like the fact that they're non-fatiguing, but on the other, I really miss that detail.  I don't listen to EDM, DNB, or the like, so bass quantity and rumble doesn't really factor in to my decision.  I do love deep and loud bass, I just don't like when it takes control of everything I'm listening to.  When I talk about acoustics, I'm referring to musical instruments:  tight/tuning of the drums, color pitch and sustain of the cymbals vs. electronic drums/pads.  A grand piano as opposed to a (electronic) keyboard. Genuine violin's and tambourines and harmonica's, not something emulated by a synthesizer.  Without some level of detail/sharpness, these acoustics cannot be appreciated (IMHO).

So, in short, I'm almost looking for the same things you are:  more detailed and higher quality sound overall.  I'm even okay with more bass, as long as they maintain adequate separation and detail.  Hopefully we'll get some honest reviews in this thread.  I really don't need to hear how great they sound under water :wink:

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #34 of 324
My hope is that the M-100 will sound as natural, or close to as natural as my Panasonic HJE900s. I'm a big fan of realism and timbre accuracy, being a drummer myself. I enjoy the M-80s a lot so I have a feeling I will really appreciate the M-100.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #36 of 324
Nice thoughts, guys. The M-80 was a pretty darn good portable, and a combination of build quality, relatively good sound quality, and decent basshead properties make for an excellent proposition, especially at its $199 price tag.

The way I see it, the M-100 seems to have a lot to live up to. The hype generated for them are quite astronomical, thus far. I haven't been into headphones for too long, but from the time I've been passionate about them, I've never seen so much hope for a headphone like the M-100 has garnered.

I don't expect them to be the holy grail of portable headphones, but I just want an M-80 with better bass performance. Still, the higher price tag might deter some. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them, since I'm quite a fan of the LP2 and the M-80.

Quote:
Jeez that main thread is just the worst. Now they're talking about how it will revolutionize portable listening forever.

To be honest, the main thread seems to be over hyping the M-100. I fear there will be disappointment if the M-100 fails to bring to the table what has been expecting of it.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #37 of 324
I haven't heard M80 as I don't want on-ear anyway so can't comment on those but LP2 sounds quite bad to my ears for the price paid so ofc I'm a little more sceptical than most other M100 followers out there, especially at $300 pricetag. ^^

The thing with LPs tho is that they are made for DJs as I understand and meant to be listened loud and therefore the highs are made quite pushed back and I prefer low-level listening or as low as possible anyway where I get maximum enjoyment, I always use a fixed volume setting at which the lowest possible which I think satisfies me fully and I think the LP2s had way too laid-back highs for my liking at this setting (had to EQ up about 3.5dB at 8kHz and 5.5dB at 16kHz to get it even with the midrange) and the bass wasn't of the best quality, a bit too boomy/non-textured for my taste. Also it had an annoying spike and possibly some resonance in the upper-mids at 3.5kHz or so which made especially female vocals a bit unnatural / shouty sounding. Subjective sound quality on the LP2s IMO, ~$75 without EQ and ~$135 with optimal EQ settings.

My EQ settings for LP2 looked roughly like this (no the holes wasn't covered, that was just some experiments I did earlier):

So yea I hope at least these issues, especially the midrange spike/resonance is taken care of and made the midrange better balanced as it doesn't seem to bother the "average ear", at least if you read amazon etc comments they never mention anything about that...

But that upper-mid peakiness is a rather common issue though and why I highly regard my M-Audio Q40 for having no such midrange issues, NADA. Sounds very neutral and nicely balanced in the mids.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #38 of 324
Quote:
Jeez that main thread is just the worst. Now they're talking about how it will revolutionize portable listening forever.

I am admittedly the guilty party responsible for the above referenced post and must also admit that if they don't live up to the hype, they will be the biggest flop since John Carter.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #39 of 324
It's gonna be tough to live up to the expectations that have been set for the M-100, and because of that, I'm afraid they will get unfair praise, which is exactly why I started this thread...hoping to get unbiased and honest reviews.  With people all excited about which color they're gonna get and how quickly they can get a pair...with minimal concern for what they might actually sound like, that's a bit troubling.  I expect the M-100's to sound pretty good, but whether they sound $300 good is another story.  And I'm certainly not gonna find out the true answer to that question in the other thread. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #40 of 324
Quote:
It's gonna be tough to live up to the expectations that have been set for the M-100, and because of that, I'm afraid they will get unfair praise, which is exactly why I started this thread...hoping to get unbiased and honest reviews.  With people all excited about which color they're gonna get and how quickly they can get a pair...with minimal concern for what they might actually sound like, that's a bit troubling.  I expect the M-100's to sound pretty good, but whether they sound $300 good is another story.  And I'm certainly not gonna find out the true answer to that question in the other thread. 

When these are released, I am confident I will be able to make an objective comparison.  After auditioning dozens of headphones in recent months, I will be comparing these to my alternative wish list cans which are PSB M4U2 and Ultrasone Signature Pro.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #41 of 324
While I am excited, I am also ready to return them if they don't live up to my expectations..

I have never owned the M-80's, and my only other two headphones have been AIAIAI TMA-1's and Audio Technica ATH-M50's. I will be sure to review it against both.

Even though the chances may be slim, I hope it at least partially lives up to the hype that was being built for it.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #42 of 324
Quote:
While I am excited, I am also ready to return them if they don't live up to my expectations..

I have never owned the M-80's, and my only other two headphones have been AIAIAI TMA-1's and Audio Technica ATH-M50's. I will be sure to review it against both.

Even though the chances may be slim, I hope it at least partially lives up to the hype that was being built for it.

M-100 aside, I  was really surprised by the amazing sound of the PSB M4U2.  They have a similar signature to the ATH-M50, but with superior detail and greater bass extension.  I found the TMA-1 to be dark.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #43 of 324
Quote:
M-100 aside, I  was really surprised by the amazing sound of the PSB M4U2.  They have a similar signature to the ATH-M50, but with superior detail and greater bass extension.  I found the TMA-1 to be dark.

Huh - those actually look pretty cool, have you reviewed them? Are you expecting the M-100's to be better?

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #44 of 324
Quote:
Huh - those actually look pretty cool, have you reviewed them? Are you expecting the M-100's to be better?

See post #543 under this link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600316/sennheiser-amperiors/540#post_8496172

There are also some great reviews of the M4U2 at Crutchfield.com .  I can't imagine the M-100 having superior mids and highs with the detail and accuracy of the PSB M4U2, but if it can match them plus offer superior bass and sub-bass for $100 less, then I would consider the M-100 to live up to the hype.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #45 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster

There are also some great reviews of the M4U2 at Crutchfield.com .  I can't imagine the M-100 having superior mids and highs with the detail and accuracy of the PSB M4U2, but if it can match them plus offer superior bass and sub-bass for $100 less, then I would consider the M-100 to live up to the hype.

hype... great word... I believed that with the M-80's and what a pile of doggy-doo sound-wise they turned out to be... great design & packaging though, can't fault that bit.

think you & me are on the same wavelength Craigster and after the same thing... after we both found out with the shortcomings with the Amperior (yup I fell for the hype on that one), which is a pretty good headphone in truth but not if your source has a wide soundstage.

I've a feeling that loads of people will rush out and buy the M-100 and the hyperbole that will follow with people trying to justify their purchase even if they don't like them,they'll say they love them, I have invested in a new puke-bucket for review overkill (thank God for Amazon huh, great returns service)... in the UK they'll probably cost nearer to $400 on release (customs, taxes & VAT) so I'm definitely not going to queue up all night holding up a 'candle of hope' that these headphones are the greatest thing since chocolate-radiators were invented, I'll wait for Craigsters review first.

talking of the PSU M4U2, just wait a couple of months for the passive version... they'll be at least $100 less if you take out the amp(?) & NC function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back