V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 4, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #17,386 of 23,366
It's obviously not what I was looking for, then. I was looking for overall improvement, which it did in small amounts, but was way too loud for me.

An amp made your headphones louder? You don't say...

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #17,387 of 23,366
I bought FiiO's flagship amp, the E12 Mont Blanc, and it did nothing but hurt my ears and increase the bass. Explain how I'm talking crap if I'm talking from my experience, since I've owned 2 pairs of M100s, 2 pairs of LP2s, 1 FiiO E17 and 1 Fiio E12 mont blanc?

If you're talking DAC, of course the sound will be better.
It's possibly through my experience that I didn't let the amp break in, idk.
I used the E17 with my LP2s, not a big improvement, but overall a good improvement.

An amp's job is to increase the power capabilities of a driver. Whether it's a headphone amp for headphones/earphones or a stereo/integrated/tube/power amp for speakers. It amplifies the power for the drivers. Isn't that common sense?

Now for the increased bass, there's an EQ setting for the FiiO E12 and most of the FiiO amps. You can always set it to a different EQ or simply bypass it of you don't want to enhance sound quality and prefer a flat response and no added bass. But still, the amp will automatically amplify it with increased driving power. From your signature, you're an "audiophile" so you should have known that already. But from the way you explained it, your statement according to your experience is absolutely inaccurate.

Who cares if you own a dozen of M100s, LP2s, etc, etc. I have an M100 and it does make a big difference when I'm using my E6 on it. Obviously, if the E6 can amplify and enhance the sound quality of the M100, more so for higher models especially the E12.

So your post is misleading other people who would want to try an amp for their M100. Telling them it's useless is talking crap.

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #17,388 of 23,366
An amp made your headphones louder? You don't say...

Thank you both .....

This is a completely inaccurate statement.  While there are amps that provide greater sonic improvement, it is not even debatable that FiiO amps provide more power than is needed for every low impedance headphone on the market, including the M-100.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #17,390 of 23,366
So let's cut the whole discussion short, what would then be a good amp/Dac to improve the overall Sound Quality? Considering the instrumental separation, vocals and bass?

Since you are looking at Verza, I'm assuming you want a portable amp/DAC?  If so, your options are fairly limited and will cost about the same as Verza.  Maybe Sony PHA-1?  Regardless, it sounds like you may just not be a fan of the M-100 based on your earlier comparison to the M-100 as bassy Apple earbuds.  An amp won't make a drastic change in sound, particularly since the M-100 is easy to drive.

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #17,395 of 23,366

An amp's job is to increase the power capabilities of a driver. Whether it's a headphone amp for headphones/earphones or a stereo/integrated/tube/power amp for speakers. It amplifies the power for the drivers. Isn't that common sense?

Now for the increased bass, there's an EQ setting for the FiiO E12 and most of the FiiO amps. You can always set it to a different EQ or simply bypass it of you don't want to enhance sound quality and prefer a flat response and no added bass. But still, the amp will automatically amplify it with increased driving power. From your signature, you're an "audiophile" so you should have known that already. But from the way you explained it, your statement according to your experience is absolutely inaccurate.

Who cares if you own a dozen of M100s, LP2s, etc, etc. I have an M100 and it does make a big difference when I'm using my E6 on it. Obviously, if the E6 can amplify and enhance the sound quality of the M100, more so for higher models especially the E12.

So your post is misleading other people who would want to try an amp for their M100. Telling them it's useless is talking crap.

thank you for explaining that, i dun have a m100, i'm just observing and reading these threads for fun. but i complete disagree with the comment of "fiio amps do nothing" i think they a fantastic investment. even though i only got the e6 the one of the "cheaper" models i still think they done a fantastic job for their price bracket

however i would just like to disagree with the statement i bolded above

i stilll think even in the "flat eq" setting the mines at least boost the bass and mids slightly. i'm one of those people that believe that the amp like headphones add a little something to the sound signature

at least compare to straight out of my iphone

i would think the m100 with 32ohm disregarding the sensitivity (probably not the best idea) but i still think even the e6 can easily power a m100 let alone the e70k and the e12

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #17,397 of 23,366
I am coming straight off my Galaxy Note2 modified rom/kernel and dac direct out.
It use the wolfson dac. I am also using Neutron player. I am getting better sound off it than my past dedicated dacs.

I am listening to this m100 now.
I cannot believe what I am hearing.
Would like to know if others can verify.
The can new was slightly recessed with a bass that was more separate and distinctive.
I gave it to family member who used it every day for average of 3 hours(!)
Now, after over 1,100 hours,
It is no longer recessed.
The bass is no longer disctinct, but well integrated.
Midrage clarity and lively tone is impressive.
Trebles are satisfying and not harsh just noticably edgy.
Most impressive are details seem better and mids very satisfying.
I like my mids as I own the most mid centric cans..
All in all I am very impressed!
Just a juicy can to me :)

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #17,398 of 23,366
  I'm waiting for the release of the Fiio E18 DAC/amp, compatible with Android phones... Given the specs of it, do you guys think it will be a good match for the M-100?

Originally Posted by Craigster75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There may still be issues with the S4.

Are you talking about the Galaxy S4? I happen to own one and, so far as I know, there have been no reported issues with the E18 so far, nor were there any with the E17.

If you've been reading information that contradicts the compatibility list posted on FiiO's own site, then I'd be very interested in a link.  I've been reading the E18 thread avidly and have seen nothing that suggests the S4 would have any issues.

Here's the compatibility list.

Note the prevalence of Samsung devices:  The SIII, Note 2 and S4.  The majority of compatible phones listed by FiiO are by Samsung; the only other two tested are the HTC One and the Sony L36H.  Samsung Galaxy S phones and phablets are known for being particularly easy to use with external DACs because they've shipped with USB Audio enabled since the introduction of Jellybean.  The only quirk thus far was that the E07k worked with the SIII and the E17 with the S4.  James of FiiO has said that that had to do with the version of Android involved and not with Samsung per se.

The E18, however, works with both phones.

I vaguely remember having a quick discussion with you earlier in this thread in which the issue to which you were referring turned out to between the S4 and the Verza, which is a special case (as it were).

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #17,399 of 23,366

The E18, however, works with both phones.

I vaguely remember having a quick discussion with you earlier in this thread in which the issue to which you were referring turned out to between the S4 and the Verza, which is a special case (as it were).

Apologies if I have or presented bad info.  I was under the impression from posts on the Verza forum that the issue was with the S4 and all DAC-bypass amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back