V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 7, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #17,416 of 23,366
Anyone tried alpha pads?
tongue.gif

on the M-100???

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #17,417 of 23,366

on the M-100???

Well there are people that seem to be using them on just about everything else lol (like Pro900 in the sig thread)
Joking but I'd like to see if it can be done :)

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #17,418 of 23,366
  Well there are people that seem to be using them on just about everything else lol (like Pro900 in the sig thread)
Joking but I'd like to see if it can be done :)

While the Alpha Pads are insanely comfortable, I don't believe there is a way to make it work.  Really the XL pads offer such a high level of comfort with the M-100, I have no desire to attempt an Alpha Pad mod.  Also, I can't imagine the Alpha pads having any positive impact on the M-100's sound.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #17,419 of 23,366
  I'd also recommend always pulling from the bottom of the pad, since there isn't a clip at the bottom-most point of the earcup. When removing one of my XL pads from the top, I managed to rip the pad halfway off its plastic base.
frown.gif
I was luckily able to do some advanced surgery and salvage it, but that was a "FUUUUUUUUU--" moment, to be sure...

Oops, looks like I misspoke earlier...I did another pad swap last night, and there is indeed a plastic clip on the bottommost point of the earcups. Guess I was just luckier pulling the pads from the bottom.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #17,420 of 23,366

I don't believe there is a way to make it work. 

some pages back (might be quite alot of pages actually), right before the XLs were released, there was someone who used a 3d printer to create a thingymabob that clipped onto the cup instead of pads, and had wide "wings" that allowed for attaching whatever pads you wanted. i think he was using some sort of akg pads, cant remember... 

now that the XLs are released i feel this may be superfluous, but it will definitely work =]

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #17,421 of 23,366

some pages back (might be quite alot of pages actually), right before the XLs were released, there was someone who used a 3d printer to create a thingymabob that clipped onto the cup instead of pads, and had wide "wings" that allowed for attaching whatever pads you wanted. i think he was using some sort of akg pads, cant remember... 

now that the XLs are released i feel this may be superfluous, but it will definitely work =]

ey adamlr, that was me. The pads I first tried with the adaptor changed the sound too dramatically I think. I was going to try with different pads, not velour but leather ones and something closer to the hexagon-eliptical shape of the original ones, but didn't do it beacause the XL pads solved the problem quite nicely.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #17,422 of 23,366
  ey adamlr, that was me. The pads I first tried with the adaptor changed the sound too dramatically I think. I was going to try with different pads, not velour but leather ones and something closer to the hexagon-eliptical shape of the original ones, but didn't do it beacause the XL pads solved the problem quite nicely.

though the xls are pretty good , attaching say, beyer velour pads to the m-100 sounds pretty dreamy... im curious to know about the sound changes if you can bothered. oh and what pads did you use? was it akg something?

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #17,423 of 23,366
heard these are good for bass, but does that make the mids and highs a blur behind the thumping? or do they still have presence and clarity?

(on a side note, does anyone know if the headband on the shadow model is difficult to keep clean due to it being fabric and not leather? because the shadow model is £60 cheaper on amazon in the uk and is very tempting, as is the white model)

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #17,424 of 23,366
  heard these are good for bass, but does that make the mids and highs a blur behind the thumping? or do they still have presence and clarity?

(on a side note, does anyone know if the headband on the shadow model is difficult to keep clean due to it being fabric and not leather? because the shadow model is £60 cheaper on amazon in the uk and is very tempting, as is the white model)

Clarity is very good for a bassy headphone, there is no blurring at all.

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #17,425 of 23,366
is the sound changed?

Less than I expected it would going by what I'v read here. Bass is recessed slightly which brought our the high end and mids a bit, however the bass feels 'punchier'. It still sounds fantastic though. Personally, I work in a research lab coding away all day and wear headphones almost all day. The XL pads make a huge difference for me. The comfort isn't on par with my Klipsh Image X10 IEM's, but the sound is so much clearer that it's worth it.

Not at all. These are probably the clearest headphones I'v owned. 

So far I'v owned:
-Shure $100 IEM's from 2007 (Forgot the model): Great clarity, but poor bass. 
-Monster Turbines: Good overall if not a bit overpriced. Hated the dynamic driver always popping, causing inconsistent sound. 
-Klipsh Image X10: Incredible isolation and comfort. Bass was outstanding for an IEM. Sounded very clear until I got M-100's
-M-100: New level of music clarity. Huge soundstage compared to my IEM background. No forgiveness for low bit rate music. Bass is strong and punchy without overwhelming the rest of the music.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #17,426 of 23,366

though the xls are pretty good , attaching say, beyer velour pads to the m-100 sounds pretty dreamy... im curious to know about the sound changes if you can bothered. oh and what pads did you use? was it akg something?

They were cheap ebay beyerdynamics replacement pads. The sound was more distanced and lost all its punch effect, probably because they were too big for the cups and the isolation wasn't great.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #17,427 of 23,366
OK, after much lurking, lusting and deliberating other portable options, I bit the bullet and just ordered a pair of Matte Black M-100 :)
Can't wait.. to me they are gorgeous and I hope the sound lives up to expectations, I know the signature should suit me well, and from what I've read EQing down the bass turns them into a fantastic more-balanced hifi sound for less bass centric music too (plus my Fiio X3 is pretty light on bass on default settings I find).

They cost me $280AUD shipped from a local retailer (although they have to get them sent from US anyway apparently).
Also grabbed faders and XL pads from V-moda site for $55 ($15 shipping) +conversion rate. So $340-ish total, not too bad. I thought no point waiting to get XL pads, I know my ears are fairly large and I want comfort for office use too (plus if they tone down mid bass and increase sub bass a little that's perfect for me).

When they arrive I will post a photo of TH600 + M-100 for a matte-black-off :)
Just need to sell my HE400s now which are gathering dust. Nice 'phones but heavy and can't justify keeping em.

Edit: would the in-line mic on the standard cable be passable for console gaming with an Astro Mixamp? I was going to get a boompro but they are 4-6 week wait time on the vmoda site. I wouldn't be using it very often anyway

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #17,428 of 23,366
Edit: would the in-line mic on the standard cable be passable for console gaming with an Astro Mixamp? I was going to get a boompro but they are 4-6 week wait time on the vmoda site. I wouldn't be using it very often anyway

I used the in-line mic for years on all of the V-MODA headphones I had w/ the Mixamp (LP2/M80/M100) and it worked great.  Yes, the Boom Mic Pro is better, but no one was complaining on the other end so I presume it sounded good on the other end too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back