V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #16,861 of 23,366
Can someone give some detailed instructions on how to remove the ear cushions? I just got the XL pads today but for some reason the pads on my m100s wont come out no matter what I do. Ive watched the video on how to remove the Crossfade LP pads but I still cant get mine to come off. Somebody please help :[

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #16,862 of 23,366
  Can someone give some detailed instructions on how to remove the ear cushions? I just got the XL pads today but for some reason the pads on my m100s wont come out no matter what I do. Ive watched the video on how to remove the Crossfade LP pads but I still cant get mine to come off. Somebody please help :[

Put simply? Pull harder... That's all you can do... It requires quite a bit of force. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #16,863 of 23,366

I also had problems getting the old pads off my M-100s because I had to pull so hard I though I was going to break the pads. I got one off like the video shows, but the other pad was too stubborn. I took a tiny flat head screw driver and gently pried the plastic ring of the pads out from under one of the tabs. After that it was easy to pull off. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #16,864 of 23,366
The clamp of the M-100s is great since the headband can be molded to the shape of your head. Pad-wise though, after ~30 minutes my ears start feeling uncomfortable and after an hour, I have to take them off and rest for 5 minutes or so because they become very painful for me. I have regular sized ears that only protrude slightly, but comfort is still killer for me, which the XL pads should fix. Isolation wise, they are lacking since they are a closed headphones with vent ports. I actually prefer it like this though since I can still hear some things around me while I'm walking around, but this is just a personal preference.

My pads shipped around an hour ago. Ordered on the 15th of September. Hope they get here by next week, but I live in Canada so shipping sucks.

See, I don't get this (average isolation); they're meant to be DJ headphones as well at least that's how they market them, and good isolation is key for djing...

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #16,865 of 23,366
Ive pulled the pads hard enough to the point of breaking part of the plastic of the actual headphone. Im pretty upset right now seeing as there is literally no other way to remove the ear cushions without brute force.

Edit: Success. Headphones cracked a bit in the process tho.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #16,866 of 23,366

The clamp of the M-100s is great since the headband can be molded to the shape of your head. Pad-wise though, after ~30 minutes my ears start feeling uncomfortable and after an hour, I have to take them off and rest for 5 minutes or so because they become very painful for me. I have regular sized ears that only protrude slightly, but comfort is still killer for me, which the XL pads should fix. Isolation wise, they are lacking since they are a closed headphones with vent ports. I actually prefer it like this though since I can still hear some things around me while I'm walking around, but this is just a personal preference.

My pads shipped around an hour ago. Ordered on the 15th of September. Hope they get here by next week, but I live in Canada so shipping sucks.

Hey! another canadian!! just curious how'd u get into vmoda products, did you demo them? or did you buy em straight from vmoda?

i'm looking into some m80s or val intends to update them whatever the newly updated is probably. but amazon.ca is ridiculous and amazon.com doesn't ship em up here

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #16,867 of 23,366
See, I don't get this (average isolation); they're meant to be DJ headphones as well at least that's how they market them, and good isolation is key for djing...

i agree with you, 

i tried my buddys crossfade lps, i'm assuming they haven't changed the isolation with the m100s so bare with me. but i could hear basically everything around me. he was studying with white noise turned up loud and like i could hear it in the room next door. mind you the house was quiet cause we're studying but still.

i tried the dt 1350s from beyer and those are on ear- but the isolate a TON. and i dunno if its the pads or w/e but the clamping force wasn't as much as i expected. it was alright ( i was listening to it only for like 5-10 mins) but i had the beats mixrs (also DJ headphone) those clamp like OMG. and they don't isolate much either

vmoda does so much right but i think they need to take a page out of the hd25 and the dt1350 if they really want DJ READY rigs without killing your hearing!

heres hoping the next vmoda product bumps up isolation then i think their perfect +xl pads =) provided. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #16,868 of 23,366
  Ive pulled the pads hard enough to the point of breaking part of the plastic of the actual headphone. Im pretty upset right now seeing as there is literally no other way to remove the ear cushions without brute force.

Edit: Success. Headphones cracked a bit in the process tho.

Now have V-MODA replace them. They shouldn't break from having the pads removed. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #16,869 of 23,366

Now have V-MODA replace them. They shouldn't break from having the pads removed.

Its a small crack that im willing to bear with. The mere thought of having to send all this stuff back and then repeat the process of putting on the XL pads is enough to make me have nightmares..
However, when putting on the second XL pad the plastic part and the actual pad separated. Half of the pad is still attached to the plastic but the top half has ripped lose. Im thinking of just super gluing them together? Anyone have any suggestions on that?

..It seems like everything that could go wrong is going wrong..

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #16,870 of 23,366
I replaced the pads on them a lot of times when I had them and never had a single problem, never, ever. I would say either yours are defective, either the last batch of pads came bigger in the base. Either way I would go through warranty if I were you.

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #16,871 of 23,366
  I've dealt with those hot pads which you can only use roughly 45~1 hr before it builds up and it's a bit of an annoyance, it won't smell very nice after a while and I'm too lazy to maintain (read clean).

Just thought to chime in here: I've been using the M-100's exclusively on my runs; they've been through a couple of hundred miles in dripping sweat.. Despite their routinely salted drenching, these headphones have yet to leave behind a stink; in fact, they still have that relatively new scent once they air out(I kid you not).
I know Val has stated previously how they treat the headphones with some anti-fungal or anti-bacterial stuff(don't remember what it was), but I never realized how serious he was when he made that statement. No doubt those XL pads will keep stench-free for a long time coming

PS: I'll spare you all the finger biting and announce that these headphones will never be resold. They are my designated throw-arounds; It must be said, they've taken a ton of hell from me(more abuse than I normally put my gear through), and look pretty freaking excellent..

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #16,872 of 23,366
So after spending some time with the XL Pads, I feel that placing the drivers further away from your ears causes a loss of intimacy with the music. They definitely are comfy and give the M-100 a true over the ear fit but it's not worth it to me. Music is definitely better with the stock pads and I can see/hear why Val had a hard time releasing these since the stock pads were already perfect to him.

I've switched back to the stock pads and will probably try to sell my XL Pads while I'm in Taiwan this week or I could just slap them on when I feel like listening to more than 8 hours straight. :p

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #16,873 of 23,366
So after spending some time with the XL Pads, I feel that placing the drivers further away from your ears causes a loss of intimacy with the music. They definitely are comfy and give the M-100 a true over the ear fit but it's not worth it to me. Music is definitely better with the stock pads and I can see/hear why Val had a hard time releasing these since the stock pads were already perfect to him.

I've switched back to the stock pads and will probably try to sell my XL Pads while I'm in Taiwan this week or I could just slap them on when I feel like listening to more than 8 hours straight. :p

Thanks for the impressions, I had a feeling moving driver further away from the ear would impact the sound signature in such way and I tend to prefer the more "in-your-face" / intimate sound why I quickly went back to stock Q40 pads instead of Hifiman leather pads.

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #16,875 of 23,366

When I first tried on the XL pads, I did notice a change in sound too and posted on it; very subtle, and seems to be a more forward sound. Val did mention that the XL pads would change the sound as you point out, so it is a bit of a balancing act.

I like the change in sound, so it is win-win for me. But if someone is happy with the stock pads comfort-wise and likes the sound, there's no need to get the XL pads.

Waiting on Tyll's October update to see if he tested the XL pads (probably not because he hasn't mentioned it, but he has the M100 on his Wall of Fame].

And I concur too with jdenn on not changing pads repeatedly: The pads will probably not stay in after a few changes. The lip on the pad will eventually get messed up at each tab where they are held.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back