V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #16,893 of 23,366
Whats with those multiple small holes around the inner surface of the XL pads?   There are no similar holes in the original pads.  I have a pair of both grey and black XL pads and they both have the holes.  Anyone have any idea as to their purpose?  They expose what looks like regular foam cushioning underneath.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #16,894 of 23,366
Whats with those multiple small holes around the inner surface of the XL pads?   There are no similar holes in the original pads.  I have a pair of both grey and black XL pads and they both have the holes.  Anyone have any idea as to their purpose?  They expose what looks like regular foam cushioning underneath.

Sure there are. And yup it's blue foam.
iOS 7's camera app seems to be not as good as iOS 6; i have so many blurry photos...

Oh girl these are really comfy! Hour+ long Skype chats won't be an issue now. :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #16,895 of 23,366

Yes, I mentioned this in an earlier post when I first got my black XL pads.  The blue is not in keeping with the style motif of V-MODA.  I used a black Sharpie to color the blue foam underneath.  I had to take care not to color the pleather around the hole, though.  

I think they allow the pad to compress better when it is inside of the case.  That's a total guess, though.  I am confident that they are intentional and not some remnant of a manufacturing process.  

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #16,896 of 23,366

Ok listen up, make sure your pads are in the correct direction with the slightly flat side to the bottom, or else you will have a hard time installing your XL pads.  To remove the original, make sure you grab the pad by the edge DEEP in the base, or else you risk breaking it.  I do agree that the XL pad makes the M-100 sound bright, so I am only going to install it on my Shadow since it is only for games and VoIP.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #16,897 of 23,366
  Yes, I mentioned this in an earlier post when I first got my black XL pads.  The blue is not in keeping with the style motif of V-MODA.  I used a black Sharpie to color the blue foam underneath.  I had to take care not to color the pleather around the hole, though.  

I think they allow the pad to compress better when it is inside of the case.  That's a total guess, though.  I am confident that they are intentional and not some remnant of a manufacturing process.  

They are probably to allow the air escape when you put them on or remove them, to adjust better to the shape of your face and that way improve the isolation.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #16,899 of 23,366
Received my M100s a couple of days ago, the antihelix of my ear touches the driver cover and its really irritating, they look red raw after a few minutes of listening. Is there any chance the skin will get used to it and not get so sore?

Can someone take a pic wearing the M100s the XL pads? :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #16,900 of 23,366
Got my XL pads today (ordered them last friday so that was a nice little turnaround).  I wasn't one of the people who really was bothered by the comfort of the M100s in the first place but I figured why not...if it makes them even more comfortable without sacrificing too much sound, then it'll be win win.  I'm impressed...I definitely feel these things should have come standard as they make them probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. The perfect amount of clamp and cushion and I can wear them for hours without even having to adjust them.  It seemed like I was constantly fiddling with them when I had the stock pads on so this is a welcome change for the better.  I really couldn't be happier with them...so for anyone who had any sort of comfort issue, that will be alleviated without a doubt.  

I haven't really had enough on-ear time to notice many of the changes to the sound signature, but that's mostly because I can't a & b them without swapping the pads again, but I don't want to do that.  I'm happy with the sound so why bother?

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #16,901 of 23,366
I've been swapping pads a bit and to me it sounds like the bass gets a bit more loose and boomier while the mids sound a bit more laid back. Clamping the earcups closer towards my head to emulate a thinner earpad seems to make it sound more like the original pads; I'm not too surprised with the difference in sound. The comfort is really much improved over the original pads.

I did a test with the Faders at home and I like the sound from the original pads + Faders much more than the XL pads + Faders....XL pads + Faders sound pretty bad to be quite frank.

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #16,902 of 23,366
QUICK UPDATE
I have never been busier working many hours a day on new products, Christmas plans, V-MODA MILANO (Italia), V-MODA VICI (London) locations and the overall EU people, process and technology setup.  Changing pains.  We are also working on our first experience centers and even a video for M-100 and another future product coming soon.  

I'll be "unplugging" this weekend in Rome with Joseph Bucknall (V-MODA co-founder and designer) to finish a lot of future plans for 2014,15 and beyond.

RMAF CANJAM
I will be making a special trip to Denver to chill out with the Head-Fi communit, drink a few beers and plug back into the community so I can answer questions/meet you and talk shop or anything.  PLEASE PLEASE try to come and I'll allocate as much time as I can to answer questions and get your input on future M-100 accessories and products.

I'll also have a future model with me, I'll figure out if we can tease one of them at CANJAM.  Stay tuned...  My team will also try to get lots of feedback on XL cushions with a blind test there. 

Quote:
  So I got my XL pads installed and they really do make a huge difference in the overall comfort of the headphones. These are the pads the M-100 should have shipped with.

Interesting to hear! (literally)

The XL pads arrived.

I actually don't even have a pair from Mass Production, you are lucky!  I'll get mine next Thursday, I only have pre-production.

Got my XL pads today (ordered them last friday so that was a nice little turnaround).  I wasn't one of the people who really was bothered by the comfort of the M100s in the first place but I figured why not...if it makes them even more comfortable without sacrificing too much sound, then it'll be win win.  I'm impressed...I definitely feel these things should have come standard as they make them probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. The perfect amount of clamp and cushion and I can wear them for hours without even having to adjust them.  It seemed like I was constantly fiddling with them when I had the stock pads on so this is a welcome change for the better.  I really couldn't be happier with them...so for anyone who had any sort of comfort issue, that will be alleviated without a doubt.  

I haven't really had enough on-ear time to notice many of the changes to the sound signature, but that's mostly because I can't a & b them without swapping the pads again, but I don't want to do that.  I'm happy with the sound so why bother?

Keep us updated!

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #16,903 of 23,366
XL pads + Faders sound pretty bad to be quite frank.

Thanks for experimenting, I often do not get to test all of these combos so it is fascinating to read the "use cases".

The faders under any of our headphones won't sound near as good for home/street listening.  They were originally developed to save your ears for CLUB/loud speaker environments.  The faders are more of your "noise cancelling/isolating solution" for airplanes when not using headphones, or a race, music, lawnmowing, factory, club or _<@INSERTLOUDEVENTHERE>_ environment.  

The dropoff in highs are significant with ANY earplug as the highs are directional, ours are less than most customs and other filter type earplugs.  It also depends on the size of the fitting on Faders, small sound best to me but I prefer medium fittings on our Remix/Vibrato for music reproduction.

-V

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #16,904 of 23,366
Hi Val! So I'm assuming V-Moda London will be open in/after Christmas? I have a defective right ear cup that I need to send back to the US from London, would be great to send it here but I don't think I can wait until Christmas.

Not the best timing to have issues with the headphones. I also have my XL pads on their way 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back