V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #16,216 of 23,366
1146396_10151852397933092_1051384195_o.jpg

Here's a picture I found off V-Moda's Facebook page.
The White M-100's with matte black faceplates. Looks badass!

That does look very nice indeed! I'm just about to place my order. :D

Talking of which, am I having a total brain fart here or was shield engraving supposed to be free?

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #16,217 of 23,366
Quote:
They won't be shipping for another 6-8 weeks.

I know and understand that full well - I also know that people on head-fi have experimented with pads in a multitude of ways, so I'd like to know what changes to expect when switching from flatter, thinner pads to a thicker, larger set of pads. 

To further clarify, my headache issue would usually manifest at the top of my head, where the headband contacts my head. Would larger pads help this at all? Would I simply need to grow used to it? 

Any further help is welcome.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #16,218 of 23,366
Quote:

ONE TIME VIP VOUCHER
We haven't even made enough M-100s to support our worldwide expansion and intend to hold M-100 pricing for YEARS as we feel the product is timeless and it is selling very well. And we must protect the brand value as mentioned above.

This rare discount was just a special thanks for the V-MODA supporters. In fact, I joke we should add a reverse sale, you pay more and I can release the new in-ear and other innovative products faster!  .  We also do the customs at no charge and that is a HUGE value as we have to edit each person's artwork.  In fact it is worth more like $100 for some designs as our artist often has to edit the lines of each design and we sometimes redo the shields 2-3 times. PS - I extended the 14.4 through Saturday.

ACCESSORIZE
We want people to accessorize and we do appreciate the support and word of mouth for the voting.  Rest assured, every dollar we make is put back into R&D and future innovations, so I can make the NEXT products for you (ok and me).  If I have your support and do not need to take on VULTURE CAPITAL, I can create better products and not be pressured for quarterly earnings and take our time to make "greatest sound for greatest amount of people".

XL
Adding pre-order tomorrow, we will include Faders VIP a $20 value and sell them for $20.  Therefore, they are essentially free and the Faders will protect your hearing when you are at loud events.  Therefore, I will save you money in the future from getting a hearing aid.  Therefore, you'll save even more and thank me some day!  I thought the cost would be lower to make the cushions, but they are freaking pricier than you would think even in large qty.

Cheers,

-V

Reverse sale, sorta like a kickstarter... I wouldn't mind paying to get that iem earlier than anyone else hehehe....

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #16,219 of 23,366
IMO, if your budget allows, Verza would be the best fit and sound for your S3 provided you don't plan to upgrade to the S4 anytime soon as it, or most DAC/amps are not currently compatible due to a design choice by Samsung.

So far as I know, the only compatibility issue with "most DACs" is the OS. The S4 uses a later iteration of Android which doesn't work with a few DACs but works better with others. If you're talking about a physical limitation re accessibility of the USB port, I haven't experienced it with any kit I own. The best iteration of the GS is probably the Note II, which has a Wolfson DAC and also works with most external DACs.

Are you sure you're not talking about a physical placement issue specific to the Verza and the S4?

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #16,220 of 23,366
Just tried ordering the XLs, only to wince when the discount code wasn't accepted. It had gone through at first, but then I decided to add a pair of custom shields for my M-80s to the order. I added them to the cart, proceeded to checkout and was stopped by a message that the code had expired on August 17. I couldn't get the code to work again -- not even by restarting my browser. Oh, hell. Oh, well.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #16,221 of 23,366
Quote:
Just tried ordering the XLs, only to wince when the discount code wasn't accepted. It had gone through when I realized I should get a pair of custom shields for my M-80s. I added the to the cart and was suddenly told the code had expired. Oh, hell. Oh, well.

Yeah the same happened to me when I tried to pre order just now. Oh well, order placed. You know, I can't help but think that a pair of red shields in combination with the red NuForce cable would look rather dapper on my all black low profile M-100's.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #16,222 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah the same happened to me when I tried to pre order just now. Oh well, order placed. You know, I can't help but think that a pair of red shields in combination with the red NuForce cable would look rather dapper on my all black low profile M-100's.

Yep, even more so on shadow.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #16,224 of 23,366
I have. Apparently the "VThePeople" discount code doesn't work anymore from scrypt's experience, but you'll still get [Gunmetal Black] Faders.
No I didn't get to choose which colour it is, but I'm fine with any colour.

Quote:
Some of you may remember me from before, when we first ordered the M-100's. I complained back then about how I got headaches from using them for more than around 45 minutes, and talked about how I would probably wait for the larger pads.

Well, now they're here - can anyone tell me what to expect from them? Is it simply more comfort, or will they positively impact the sound? If so, does it just mean the sound sig will be more balanced? 

I really want to give them another shot, but I don't want to be burned like before, because even though I mostly loved their looks and sound, they fell a bit flat on midrange and comfort, and I'm hoping this sale and pre-order can alleviate my worries...

Can anyone comment?

Heeey, long time no see! Welcome back!

From what Val has been saying, it looks like they made the earpads deeper and the ear hole a little larger. Their team worked hard to try to have the sound minimally impacted since even the slightest change in the earpad affects the sound (evidently so with all of the pad mods mentioned in this thread alone). I can try to bring up the photo if I can find it.

Ah, here we go:
Quote:
XL UPDATE - ACOUSTICS APPROVED - NOW IN PRODUCTION

We did a serious listening test of the final 4 variations and decided on #6 in the graph below.  As I have always said, never trust response curves solely as "the fit is the sound" and your individual ear crafts the final response curve - like a room and speakers.  Having said that, it is helpful to take a peek at the machine responses AFTER we test with our golden ears.

I delegated (hard for me to type) my team handle the golden ear tests as I do not have big enough ears to be a customer for this product.  I trust this team, they are a hand-picked group of true hi-fi fanatics who have helped me tune the M-series and VAMP.  We even do hearing test audiograms to make sure we can hear properly when testing.

Whew- so, there we go  - I finally green lighted mass production and I'll have dates soon.

Other Projects
We launched BoomPro/CoilPro and are launching Tuono (the short lightning cable).  Now I must focus on other future products in the works and setting up our international distribution channels and new Europe offices (Milan and Germany).  AUSTRALIA is launching in a few days, Italy and Dubai launched a few weeks ago. And I have some VERY SPECIAL news to announce soon.  

It is quite incredible to me, I cannot wait to reveal it (and no this special news is different is not a product).

One country at a time!

Final XL Cushion test candidates (again solid evidence that flatter is not always better when it comes to FR curves as your ear shapes the sound more than the FR data):

Quote:
I'M BAAAACCCKKK!

I am back in America after a long mission in UK, Europe and more to expand V-MODA and finish development of the roadmap. I had to really laser focus and not be distracted by social media and the likes as I was in Italy learning Italian and in Europe working hard on setting up operations including hiring new staff and setting up the office. It was tough and challenging, it is a whole other long story.

I'll give more updates soon and I'll start to be more active on Head-Fi over the coming weeks as I need some input on future products!

XL CUSHION UPDATE
Believe it or not, we are STILL working on this every day and have gone through several rounds of prototypes and had to change the way we make them to stitching vs heat press.  Now we are doing final acoustics tuning and durability testing as we have never sold a stitched ear cushion like this before. We will start preorders once we have final cost.

Thanks for your support and stay tuned!

It was our 9th year anniversary last week and we couldn't do it without you, I thank each and every one of you for your ideas and support.

Cheers to the future.

-V

This is probably outdated from recent updates:
Quote:

New XL cushions in dev, ready this week

Quote:
Quote:
I found the white LP/LP2 pads I have to decrease the bass quantity, bring the midrange more forward, and smooth out the treble but introduce a more grainy sound. I found Lindsey Stirling more enjoyable with this kind of sound signature.

I hate to bring this up, but not only are the LP/LP2 memory cushions going to sound different than the M-100, but the colors do make a slight difference too (but less and mostly when they are new out-of-the-box).

This is a large part of the "break in" as the black is stiffer when it is new due to the ink, just like a black vs white t-shirt (and after a few washes they become softer).   The stiffness changes the vibrations slightly and sound is essentially analog vibrations. Therefore OOB the black vs grey vs white alone would sound slightly different to us "golden ears" (in addition to the comfort increasing).  

For many untrained ears, however, it probably isn't AS noticeable I have noticed from asking many consumers and even audiophiles to AB test a new grey vs black cushion.

PS - our team does do enhancements to make the colors sound and feel as close as possible OOB but it cannot be identical

-V 

Quote:
Quote:
They won't be shipping for another 6-8 weeks.

I know and understand that full well - I also know that people on head-fi have experimented with pads in a multitude of ways, so I'd like to know what changes to expect when switching from flatter, thinner pads to a thicker, larger set of pads. 

To further clarify, my headache issue would usually manifest at the top of my head, where the headband contacts my head. Would larger pads help this at all? Would I simply need to grow used to it? 

Any further help is welcome.

Probably not unless you make the headband adjusted a little larger than your head size and you let the XL pads take the weight.

Or maybe you can install one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/ref=sr_1_1/190-6379499-6541339?ie=UTF8&qid=1376853108&sr=8-1&keywords=beyer+headband

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #16,227 of 23,366
Just from the last couple of pages, I counted at least 10 so far, including myself.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #16,228 of 23,366
Quote:
So far as I know, the only compatibility issue with "most DACs" is the OS. The S4 uses a later iteration of Android which doesn't work with a few DACs but works better with others. If you're talking about a physical limitation re accessibility of the USB port, I haven't experienced it with any kit I own. The best iteration of the GS is probably the Note II, which has a Wolfson DAC and also works with most external DACs.

Are you sure you're not talking about a physical placement issue specific to the Verza and the S4?

I defer to your understanding of Samsung phones as I only have experience with the IPhone.  Regarding physical placement, I read V-Moda was planning to introduce an S4 Metallo case, but I don't know if that has been tabled in lieu of the compatibility issue, whether or not it is software or hardware related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back