V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 17, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #16,172 of 23,366
Quote:
:) Thank you DrSheep, I really appreciate your help :) 

NP, so the E17 works but you need to get an OTG adapter cable.

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #16,173 of 23,366
[COLOR=000000] Hi :)  I'm going to buy the M-100, I'm mainly going to be using them with my Samsung Galaxy S4 and with my PC,  I'm wondering, Should I get a Amp? ( something like the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc )?  Or would it be better getting a Dac/amp such as the
 FiiO E17. Or is an Amp/dac not something I would need. ( I have never bought either of them before ) Sorry if this sounds like a terribly stupid question.. But this would be the first  decent pair of headphones I've ever bought and I would like to get the best I possibly can out of them.  
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Thanks for your time,
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Naz
[/COLOR]

At $299 the ALO Audio National sound fantastic with the M100. The perfect amount of power. Bass thumps, mids really come forward and highs are crisp but not bright

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #16,174 of 23,366
Quote:
Thank you all so much for your replies :) I'll look try and find some more infomation on what the S4 supports before taking the plunge and buying an Dac/amp as well :) I look forward to getting my M-100's!  <3

Since you are set on the S4 and the M-100 sounds great and can be easily driven without an amp, I would say there is no rush to go for an amp, especially if there isn't a line out for portable listening from what I read in recent posts and double-amping through the headphone jack is really a last resort in terms of sound quality.

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #16,175 of 23,366
Quote:
Since you are set on the S4 and the M-100 sounds great and can be easily driven without an amp, I would say there is no rush to go for an amp, especially if there isn't a line out for portable listening from what I read in recent posts and double-amping through the headphone jack is really a last resort in terms of sound quality.

I think he'd best get a DAC/Amp what works with an android device. Which will avoid both double-amping and using the DAC inside the S4.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #16,176 of 23,366
atsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #16,177 of 23,366
[COLOR=000000] Hi :)  I'm going to buy the M-100, I'm mainly going to be using them with my Samsung Galaxy S4 and with my PC,  I'm wondering, Should I get a Amp? ( something like the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc )?  Or would it be better getting a Dac/amp such as the
 FiiO E17. Or is an Amp/dac not something I would need. ( I have never bought either of them before )

I have exactly the setup you're talking about, Naz. Here is what works and what doesn't:

The E17 works flawlessly. The E07 worked with the SIII but does *not* work with the S4. USB audio works very well if you enable audio accessories. The only other thing you'll need is either a micro-USB-to-mini-USB OTG cable or a standard-USB-female-to-micro-USB-male OTG cable to use with the cable that ships with the E17. An example of an all-in-one cable is the FiiO L15, which I don't own.

FiiO will also introduce the E18 in September or after; it's a new Android DAC that we won't be able to check for compatibility until it's out. It features a built-in charger and a better DAC chip than the E17 but will be more expensive.

There is also a $30 dedicated Sabre DAC that's said to work with the volume buttons of the S4 without an amp. I have one on order and will let you know how it sounds and how well it works.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #16,179 of 23,366
There's also a full black cable version of the Nuforce cable, just as a headsup for any1 who doesn't like the "striking" color of red. At least to me it had looked better with those white ones, only with Shadow and Black version M100 it may work pretty well to my eyes with red.

Wonder if they sell that cable anywhere in europe? I had gladly picked up one. It just matches all the things I'm looking for, 1.5m, highly flexible and light and is rubber/plastic shielding as opposed to kevlar and has the jack itself small enough to fit any detachable cable headphones and seems to sound good from a few reviews I read (at least ppl seem to notice a slight difference versus the typically bundled low quality cables with some portable amps etc).

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #16,180 of 23,366
Quote:
There's also a full black cable version of the Nuforce cable, just as a headsup for any1 who doesn't like the "striking" color of red. At least to me it had looked better with those white ones, only with Shadow and Black version M100 it may work pretty well to my eyes with red.

Wonder if they sell that cable anywhere in europe? I had gladly picked up one. It just matches all the things I'm looking for, 1.5m, highly flexible and light and is rubber/plastic shielding as opposed to kevlar and has the jack itself small enough to fit any detachable cable headphones.

I think NuForce ships international: http://estore.nuforce.com/transient-cable-high-performance-3-5mm-stereo-cable/

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #16,181 of 23,366
Aug 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #16,182 of 23,366
Quote:

Didn't accept my shipping address. They have them on amazon.co.uk too appearently, just quite expensive though at $27.

That's got to be the VAT or some other tax at work.  BTW the cable MSRP in the US is $24.  Still worth it in my opinion.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #16,184 of 23,366
Quote:
There's also a full black cable version of the Nuforce cable, just as a headsup for any1 who doesn't like the "striking" color of red.

If only the plugs followed suit:

They're seemingly small details, I know, but the red NuForce logo and red and gold rings on the plugs -- along with their less unfortunate but still irksome gray housings -- ruin that cable's chances of being paired with my actually-monochromatic Matte Black M-100s. Bummer for me, I guess.
cool.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #16,185 of 23,366

Users who are viewing this thread

Back