V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #15,541 of 23,366
Sometimes, when people say "I'm leaving this thread, good bye" what they mean is they're just closing their browser window or going to read another thread or something before returning.

Now back on the m-100. I was not saying they're comfortable or not. I was simply pointing out that there are several ways in which some people find them uncomfortable so that if someone feels they're more susceptible to one than another or whatever, they might get a better idea of how the headphones are stock and what one might be able to expect with the xl pads.

There is a very large gap between saying these are the most comfy headphones man ever made and saying that they are so bad that people should avoid buying them altogether.

And yes, to whoever it was, I am lucky enough to have tried them on before buying. I agree that a 15 minute session is not sufficient to really get how a pair of cans will feel after 3 hours, but we all work with what's possible and extrapolate with the care and caution required by the situation. For example I cannot home demo the ps1000 and thought they felt strange at the shop so I didn't buy them. I may have turned down sonic nirvana, but that was my choice. Had I purchased and had fit issues, I'd have to ebay them. Such is life, and I assume it's the same for everybody. Back ot I think we'ev done enough to state that some have/had fit issues (incl. Myself) so people can pick up on this and make up their own minds. I see no mileage in repeating it or making it unrealistically severe.

I get that some people have problems with the fit which makes them dislike the m100. What I don't get is why said people want everyone else to find them uncomfortable as well.

Edit 1: spelling
Edit 2: Anakchan gave me the fear. (Lol I posted before reading his, sorry.)

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #15,542 of 23,366
mind you issue with the clamping force is not that simple I have done it but it comes back eventually.

May be you didn't flex it enough. You need to get the headband to deform permanently by going slightly beyond its elastic range. Not just flat but a little inverted. Physics dictate that the deformation will be permanent as in 'won't come back' unless you go ape **** on it in the other direction, that is.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #15,543 of 23,366
Well then the "[COLOR=0000CD]MANUFACTURER"[/COLOR] should admit that it is a pressing issue and they are still currently looking into it and is still in R&D stage. In terms of if they will solve the issue or not it is a HUGE (?) . Instead of [COLOR=FF0000]miss leading[/COLOR] potential buyers or owners that the XL pad is COMING OUT soon at the first place. And here we go again , sorry to put it this way but  the rest is just being pure defensive. Comfort Problems/Issues is there and the only way is to come out with a solution and physically FIX it . NOT by using ones wallet / Return it ? com on ..... that is more like avoiding the problem isn't it ?.. :cool:

I think we have all read that they are working on the xl pads, but have not yet completed their final design. How is this 'misleading' (or even 'miss leading' :D ) owners and potential buyers?

The fact that they're working on it shows that Val acknowledges the problem and not just sweeping it under the carpet. I'm sure Val Kolton wants xl pads released more than any of us here and he has said time and again that pads are being worked on. I am failing to see what more you want from them? A health warning perhaps?

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #15,544 of 23,366
Wear any headphone long enough, and it will become uncomfortable and you'll have to adjust. Each time I put the M-100 on, or after I give myself 5 minutes break, they feel very comfortable. I haven't tried on the CAL!s or Denon D7000, but the M-100 are the most comfortable closed headphone I've ever worn. I do find that the AKG Q701 and AD700 are more comfortable during listening marathons, but I also find those options unsuitable for portable use. I might be interested in XL (DD?) pads, but I'm still enjoying the overall comfort of the M-100 in the meantime, and if the XL pads sound worse I might pass on using them.

The issue isn't worth losing your cool over. It would be nice if the headphones were fully circumaural and didn't touch the ears under any circumstance, but that would directly affect their portability (and use in public), and I already have headphones like that.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #15,546 of 23,366
I've heard more people have comfort issues with Grado headphones and HD25-1 IIs than I have of M-100s. People also have comfort issues with the Sennheiser Momentum. Which is hilarious since instead of making a bigger version they made a smaller version. (Whereas V-Moda aims to correct the complaints here with new pads).

Honestly, V-Moda doesn't even need to do that. It isn't their obligation to correct every single complaint with their headphones, no manufacturer has that obligation. If they did, then no product would ever get put out, or at the very least every product would constantly be revised. And not everyone would be happy with the revisions regardless (unless it is a universally agreed upon problem which are generally rare). The fact that Val is correcting the issue, shared by, what is likely, a small percentage of consumers (Remember, even IF 50% of head-fiers have comfort issues, we are FAR from a random consumer sample, in fact, 50% of headfiers probably works out to less than 1% of V-Moda sales, we are an insane minority) we should be grateful, rather than demanding. Val is literally going out of his way to correct a problem voiced by members on this website. There are very few reviews, professional, or consumer that state any such comfort issues (aside from high clamping pressure, which honestly, many headphones have and create comfort issues from... you know like the HD280).

No headphone is perfect, it might be perfect for certain people, but that is entirely subjective. Currently the M-100s give me everything I want from a portable circumaural headphone. I really can't ask for more. Are there comfort issues? Yes, but not for the duration I usually wear them. Are there some FR issues? Yeah, but it is nothing a little EQ can't fix. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #15,547 of 23,366
so i had the ejection thing happen on the right side.  was it ok to just kinda stretch the metal and pop it back in?  i don't think i damaged the plastic getting it in but now it feels looser.  was i supposed to completely disassemble it (remove the hex screws)?

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #15,548 of 23,366
Quote:
so i had the ejection thing happen on the right side.  was it ok to just kinda stretch the metal and pop it back in?  i don't think i damaged the plastic getting it in but now it feels looser.  was i supposed to completely disassemble it (remove the hex screws)?

No. You just pop it back in. It might be looser because the metal yoke deformed slightly when it hit the ground. I've dropped my M-100 and M-80 and had them both eject from the hinges with noticeable looseness. I even pop my M-100 off the yokes from time to time to clean them if they get dusty and start to squeak.

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #15,549 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People also have comfort issues with the Sennheiser Momentum. Which is hilarious since instead of making a bigger version they made a smaller version.

I head the next version of the Momentum will have sharp, rusty spikes instead of padding on the ear pieces. I really cannot understand this. The HD800 is the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever had the pleasure of wearing.

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #15,550 of 23,366
Quote:

I head the next version of the Momentum will have sharp, rusty spikes instead of padding on the ear pieces. I really cannot understand this. The HD800 is the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever had the pleasure of wearing.

Not everyone is loaded, pal. 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #15,552 of 23,366
Quote:
Not everyone is loaded, pal. 
rolleyes.gif

That's not my point - which is to say that Sennheiser obviously knows how to make comfortable headphones. It's just incomprehensible to me that they've made the momentum so uncomfortable.

Anyway, I just mentioned having the pleasure of WEARING them without any implication of actually OWNING a pair.

Incidentally I do 
ksc75smile.gif
, but only because I got them with a pretty heavy discount - $1,200 or something when the dollar was also weak against my currency, so works out at about $1,150 or something as opposed to $1,500.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #15,553 of 23,366
That's not my point - which is to say that Sennheiser obviously knows how to make comfortable headphones. It's just incomprehensible to me that they've made the momentum so uncomfortable.

Anyway, I just mentioned having the pleasure of WEARING them without any implication of actually OWNING a pair.

Incidentally I do :ksc75smile: , but only because I got them with a pretty heavy discount - $1,200 or something when the dollar was also weak against my currency, so works out at about $1,150 or something as opposed to $1,500.

Oh, I see, haha. Just a little misunderstanding!

Yeah, Sennheiser can probably make some really nice comfortable headphones; but with great comfort, will mostly come with a great price tag. This may not be a problem for all, but for some, like me, the pricing may play a fair factor. :)

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #15,554 of 23,366
Quote:
^ Mad Dogs with the latest pads. They're like pillows on your ears compared to the M-100. I was switching between the two and it was like pillows vs a plastic clamp. Mad Dogs are in the same price as the M-100 too.

Excluding the amp needed to drive it :wink:. But driven properly, the Mad Dogs do sound really nice (like Zana Deux). Quite different from the M-100 though. Nor would I use the Mad Dogs outdoors.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #15,555 of 23,366
Quote:
^ Mad Dogs with the latest pads. They're like pillows on your ears compared to the M-100. I was switching between the two and it was like pillows vs a plastic clamp. Mad Dogs are in the same price as the M-100 too.

Mice, which one do you find has the better sound quality?
It's probably been mentioned before in the threads, but I don't quite have the time to dig around for it, so my apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back