V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 15, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #15,511 of 23,366
I still don't see the problem... headphone comfort is and always will be a very personal thing. Most users buy online and can test their new headphones out for as many hours as they see fit. If they don't fit or are more uncomfortable than expected/wished for -- just return them. There are hundreds of competing models out there and chances are that one of them fits better.

I, for one, like my DT1350 very much. Thats unfortunately a model where the consensus is that it clamps quite hard and comfort is not optimal. Surprisingly I got somehow used to it and can now wear it for as long as I need (which is seldom more than 2h) without problems. Many returned them, most had an experience similar to mine.

This is in most cases not a problem of the manufacturer... the intended use for a specific model may put restrictions on the construction that are inverse to the design goal 'comfort'. Some manufacturers offer different kinds of pads to alleviate that problem a bit, but there is no 'right to comfort' so to say. No need to 'warn' 'potential customers' of fatal flaws, no demanding of changes. Express your personal view/opinion and vote with your wallet. If sending a product back give the manufacturer clear and positive feedback (i.e. not 'this is sh.t' but 'this could be done to make it better fit my expectations').

Its quite an unusual situation for the CEO engaging directly with the users of his products. To me this is the sign of someone being very confident with his product and, above all, very interested in making it even better. Being confident also means that a clear product vision exists. That in turn means that directions orthogonal to this vision will very likely be ignored -- a good product is not a do-all-for-everyone thing.

Offering additional pads that will preserve the sonic nature of the headphone is not an easy task. And its not the only one currently in the works I guess. It might still take some time... Even the M-100 got completed eventually :wink:

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #15,512 of 23,366
Quote:
Before we start scaring people off, I think we need to look at the 'comfort' issue as 3 separate issues:

1.) Pad depth
2.) Pad enclosed area
3.) Clamping force/pressure

(1.) Basically I don't have an issue in this regard. My ears do not touch the drivers. This - as is my translation of Val's comments - will not be directly addressed by the XL pads.

(2.) This is one half of my problem. The pads are not quite surround my ears. This WILL be addressed with the XL pads.

(3.) The clamping force is as noted by many, somewhat adjustable. You need a bit of bravery and really bend that headband quite a lot. Not just flex them, but like invert them a little to get the clamping that suits you.

As far as the physics goes the clamping force will not be reduced by using different pads as the headband will exert the same force regardless the padding at the end. With a more compliant pad, the pressure will be reduced slightly as the softer pad deforms to a larger area on the side of your head. The XL pad may help with the pressure as it may have a larger area over which to distribute the clamping force. This may or may not help with (1) as the larger pad area may not be compressed as much as the smaller pad (it depends on what material Val uses in the end) and therefore the driver will be slightly further from your head and therefore more clearance for your ears.

That's my take on the whole XL pads thing. If anyone has more info, please feel free to correct me.

In summary, if you have an issue with (3) you can actually fix it with the normal pads. If V-Moda gets it right, they can potentially fix (1) and (2) with the new pads. Best of all, try on a pair. They're not as uncomfortable as you might think.

I have been down this road explaining and so forth see early of the year about 6 MONTHS ago . Have tried on a pair before buying them thats why i have mentioned it is impossible for one to sit there for HOURS in a headphone shop to try on a pair and it is an issue easily been missed . And mind you NOT everyone have the privilege to be able to test one before buying. I have experienced ALL 3 issues and mind you issue with the clamping force is not that simple I have done it but it comes back eventually.
Quote:
Val's on it. You can search for his posts on the subject. I don't see why people are getting so worked up over this.

I am there since the very start 
deadhorse.gif

Quote:
Yee. XL pads are still in the process of being made.

You of all people should know where the where this is going 
bigsmile_face.gif
 . V-moda HK is using your in depth review as a marketing tool sadly they never mentioned your little "Hick Ups" with Comfort 
wink_face.gif
Quote:
Personally I'd rather wait awhile longer and get larger pads that fix comfort issues and won't muddy up the sound then have V-MODA release pads as quick as possible that's half baked. Just my two cents

Yes I do agree with you , but in terms of IF and IF they every come out with the pad ( and by saying this I mean when we actually see and tried on the pad) and FIX the comfort issue without / with minor complication to the sound quality would be another HUGE issue to be looked into and discussed.

The fact that it is taking too long to FIX or when it will be launched is still a problem.

Quote:
Why does everyone get all defensive about it, the V-moda have very poor comfort for a large proportion of people, I think that is pretty clear from the amount of posts.

I said about the comfort and also the FR response issues with the M-100 and got the V-moda brigade very upset about it. Ok if you like the headphones that is not a problem, but they do quite clearly have issues in the areas mentioned.

Anyone who mentions it then they get a reply saying "why are you making a fuss about it" etc. whereas something along the lines of  "I just got dem m-100 and dat bass is wickeds innit"  is met with a lot of back patting and friendly remarks.

Yeah mate this is what I have been going back and forth with , it's like someone is being blackmailed to defend the well being of this product.
redface.gif

Quote:
I still don't see the problem... headphone comfort is and always will be a very personal thing. Most users buy online and can test their new headphones out for as many hours as they see fit. If they don't fit or are more uncomfortable than expected/wished for -- just return them. There are hundreds of competing models out there and chances are that one of them fits better.

I, for one, like my DT1350 very much. Thats unfortunately a model where the consensus is that it clamps quite hard and comfort is not optimal. Surprisingly I got somehow used to it and can now wear it for as long as I need (which is seldom more than 2h) without problems. Many returned them, most had an experience similar to mine.

This is in most cases not a problem of the manufacturer... the intended use for a specific model may put restrictions on the construction that are inverse to the design goal 'comfort'. Some manufacturers offer different kinds of pads to alleviate that problem a bit, but there is no 'right to comfort' so to say. No need to 'warn' 'potential customers' of fatal flaws, no demanding of changes. Express your personal view/opinion and vote with your wallet. If sending a product back give the manufacturer clear and positive feedback (i.e. not 'this is sh.t' but 'this could be done to make it better fit my expectations').

Its quite an unusual situation for the CEO engaging directly with the users of his products. To me this is the sign of someone being very confident with his product and, above all, very interested in making it even better. Being confident also means that a clear product vision exists. That in turn means that directions orthogonal to this vision will very likely be ignored -- a good product is not a do-all-for-everyone thing.

Offering additional pads that will preserve the sonic nature of the headphone is not an easy task. And its not the only one currently in the works I guess. It might still take some time... Even the M-100 got completed eventually :wink:

Well then the "MANUFACTURER" should admit that it is a pressing issue and they are still currently looking into it and is still in R&D stage. In terms of if they will solve the issue or not it is a HUGE (?) . Instead of miss leading potential buyers or owners that the XL pad is COMING OUT soon at the first place. And here we go again , sorry to put it this way but  the rest is just being pure defensive. Comfort Problems/Issues is there and the only way is to come out with a solution and physically FIX it . NOT by using ones wallet / Return it ? com on ..... that is more like avoiding the problem isn't it ?.. 
cool.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #15,513 of 23,366
I don't have any comfort issues with my M-100...granted its well used/worn/seasoned. Maybe happy M-100 customers are just not active on the thread - myself included.

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #15,514 of 23,366
It seems to be about 50/50 maybe 60/40 that have comfort issues....

If you compare this to something like a HD650 or beyerdynamic DT880 then they would be more like 98/02 that had comfort issues....

Therefore it is a problem, also the fact they are releasing XL pads shows that they have recognised this, which to be fair to V-moda is good, but they should have released them with XL pads in the first place... Do you see any HD650 XL pads?

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #15,515 of 23,366
I just can't understand why people like to drill on the negatives so much on the internet.  Val has been giving us regular updates and the XL pads was close to be for production serval times.  Stop blowing everything out of proportions, and I dare some of you to find another company that will do this kind of PR and cloud sourcing for product R&D directly from the company's CEO (well CVO in this case.)

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #15,516 of 23,366

If you compare this to something like a HD650 or beyerdynamic DT880 then they would be more like 98/02 that had comfort issues....

Therefore it is a problem, also the fact they are releasing XL pads shows that they have recognised this, which to be fair to V-moda is good, but they should have released them with XL pads in the first place... Do you see any HD650 XL pads?
My gut feeling is that users aren't giving enough break-in time with the M-100. Granted they are not immediately comfortable off the shelf like some other headphones but after awhile of regular use, to me they're as comfortable as any other headphones. I fact I remember Senn HD-25's used to give me headaches literally to the point I switched away from headphones altogether (to the Shure E5c). Those didn't let up at all even after a year.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #15,517 of 23,366
Quote:

Not even close, and as far as I know the actual number is less than 1%, is just that Val want to do something about this.  Go ahead and tell beyerdynamic, or another company you have problems with, and make a XL pad or whatever other accessories and see how will they respond.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #15,518 of 23,366
Quote:
Not even close, and as far as I know the actual number is less than 1%, is just that Val want to do something about this.  Go ahead and tell beyerdynamic, or another company you have problems with, and make a XL pad or whatever other accessories and see how will they respond.

they respond by making it smaller (sennheiser momentum) lol..

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #15,519 of 23,366
Quote:

Again this is mindless brand hyping with absolutely no evidence for what you are saying.

"less than 1%" LOL

Why do I even bother? I am leaving this thread and never posting again. Goodbye.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #15,520 of 23,366
Jul 15, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #15,521 of 23,366
Quote:

Well then the "MANUFACTURER" should admit that it is a pressing issue and they are still currently looking into it and is still in R&D stage. In terms of if they will solve the issue or not it is a HUGE (?) . Instead of miss leading potential buyers or owners that the XL pad is COMING OUT soon at the first place. And here we go again , sorry to put it this way but  the rest is just being pure defensive. Comfort Problems/Issues is there and the only way is to come out with a solution and physically FIX it . NOT by using ones wallet / Return it ? com on ..... that is more like avoiding the problem isn't it ?.. 
cool.gif

I don't think it actually *is* a pressing issue. YMMV but I doubt the majority of owners are keeping them despite not being able to wear them.
Avoiding a problem? Sometimes the best solution available. As I said: there is no 'right to a comfortable headphone'.

Sorry, but the rest of your uppercase, coloured words are not that understandable to me -- I'll spare you an answer.

Quote:
I don't have any comfort issues with my M-100...granted its well used/worn/seasoned. Maybe happy M-100 customers are just not active on the thread - myself included.

Thats my impression too... a forum of course tends to amplify problems, often totally out of proportions, as these are in many cases the reason for posting. Polls have the same tendency if questions like comfort are used.

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #15,522 of 23,366
The bottom line with comfort is the same as I would say with sound- try them for a reasonable amount of time to determine if they are for you.  The M-100 is certainly not the most comfortable headphone ever made as much as it is certainly not the least comfortable ever made.  As I have stated before, comfort improved significantly for me in a few weeks and the M-100 comes with a 60-day test drive.  

Whether or not one considers the pads comfortable, I can't think of another thread that generates more emotion or inspires more passion than the M-100 and that says something about them.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #15,523 of 23,366
Quote:

Again this is mindless brand hyping with absolutely no evidence for what you are saying.

"less than 1%" LOL

Why do I even bother? I am leaving this thread and never posting again. Goodbye.

I find this last sentence suspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back