V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #11,191 of 23,366
Here's mine, custom orange shield on white:

I've had it for a couple of weeks now, and I'm really happy with them. It really is beautiful. My friends laugh at how ridiculously *bling* this is. I upgraded from an old pair of UE Superfi 3s that I've had forever. I listen to lots of electronic music and the upgrade in bass and soundstage is terrific. Can't wait to break these out for my next DJ gig.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #11,192 of 23,366
Just bought one Matt Black color.  The folding construction is really amazing.  The metal feeling is so cool. 
I have one question:  Does this M-100 need to be burned/played for certain hundred of hours in order to reach the ideal bass performance?  Although I am very satisfied now.

Do I need to add an amplifier like Digizoid zo 2.3 if i play it with mobile phone S3? or Fiio E-07K?

I suggest to change the zip puller to other materials instead of metal.  it creates noise when it bumps with the carrying bag.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #11,193 of 23,366
Just created an account here to give an average (i.e. power these specifically with a mobile device only) impression on these headphones. Please remember opinions are subjective and I'm in no means an expert on sound. With that said, I picked these up in Yodobashi Camera in Yokohama two days ago and it took me forever to find them. I had to look in the new headphone guide they put out to find the M-100s and asked a store representative to help me find them. A couple minutes of my mediocre Japanese later, I left with a pair of M-100s in Shadow for 27800 Yen and an AT-HPH300 headphone shelf hang mount thing. Totally off topic, but I so wish we had stores like this in America. There was a whole isle of what seemed like ~300 headphones hanging there with tags (Imagine how Toys "R" Us did video games a long time ago) to bring to the cashier. Not only were the headphones out for display, they had jacks to test them out with your own music. That, paired with the awesome customer service make me love Japan. Okay, onto the real part

Design: Aggressive, and when I was riding the train a lot of people would stare. The satisfying clicks when you fold 'em up are great and make you feel like you got a quality product. I also took the headband and started bending it in a bunch of contorted angles and they feel quality. When you hold 'em, you know you got a quality product. 

Sound (Driven right out of a Motorola RAZR M) 

Bass: Quite a lovely kick, and I love it, but I think it's because of where I grew up (Bay Area, California) that I adore bass that gets beat into your ears. It's not just the kick, but it's quality as well. No distortion what so ever and it leaves a nice, subtle rumble on your head depending on what song you're listening to.

Mids: I wouldn't say the bass is over powering, but the mids are like, I dunno, a smidgen? below the bass hits. They sound warm and detailed when you got some acoustic songs, but with mixed instrumentation you're going to hear the bass more

Treble : Same as the mids, they sound great on an acoustic arrangement but also are a smidgen below the bass. Don't get me wrong, they sound great, but like I said before, they are just a tad bit below the bass.

Closing: IMO, the best portable headphone to be driven solely out of a mobile device. They attract a lot of people and bring out the small details. Sometimes, I do wish the highs came out a little more but tuning the EQ to that specific song fixes most of it. Overall, I think it's worth the money. Remember, opinions are subjective and these are only from an average listener like me. 

P.S. The napkins in the ear cup make the sound stage a little bit broader and , to me, sound better. They are also a little more comfortable

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #11,194 of 23,366
I've been listening to these for 3 days now, so they are not burned in. I can honestly say that they are by some way the best headphones I have ever owned sound wise. I have also listened at some length to the TMA-1, Amperior, Momentum and Beats Mixr, again I find the M-100 to be the nicest to listen to over the whole sound spectrum.

I think that how you view these may depend a little on where you are coming from; if like me you have been using AKG450 or something of a similar ilk (in other words you are upgrading) I doubt you'll be disappointed. I listen to a wide variety of music (not jazz) and have found they do an excellent job on nearly all of it. If classical is your main thing there might be better options, but I have never heard large classical organ works portrayed as well as this does, so again if you like bass portrayed with real impact and extension and a lot of classical works do have bass, they might still be the way to go. As an all rounder I think that they sing beautifully.

Perhaps it's just because their sound signature suits my taste but I cannot remember ever having put a headphone on for the first time before and thinking wow it's nailed it on every track I listened to.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #11,195 of 23,366
i seem to be getting some interference in the left ear of my m100s when my iphone receives a call or text.. is this normal? and also, v moda have seemed to have done a less than satisfactory job on the custom shields, there seems to be dashed lines where solid lines should be and its smaller than i initially designed using the illustrator template.. 

the headphones are fantastic btw..

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #11,196 of 23,366

This song with these headphones are absolutely amazing. The vocals and the subtle sparkle of the breathing by the mix is presented perfectly with the trebel range. The mids are in no way recessed and I found a lot of my alternative rock songs mid recessed. I'm actually glad these are bass heavy headphones or else you wouldn't be able to hear the bass at all. I think this song is mixed a little more bass lacking than the usual electronic song to compensate for the amount of bass headphones usually have these days. Really nice touch.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #11,197 of 23,366
Quote:
i seem to be getting some interference in the left ear of my m100s when my iphone receives a call or text.. is this normal? and also, v moda have seemed to have done a less than satisfactory job on the custom shields, there seems to be dashed lines where solid lines should be and its smaller than i initially designed using the illustrator template.. 

the headphones are fantastic btw..

Heh, Yeah don't blame that on the engraver. That happened to me as well. I called up customer support and they said it was due to the image I sent in, which wasn't a quality enough image to get the job done right. It happens with lined images, bold images are better to use. They replaced my shields with a separate image and this time I chose a bolder lined image and it turned out 100% perfect.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #11,199 of 23,366
Quote:

I was just reading some M100 reviews on Amazon and I found a response from Val to a customer who complained about the M100 ear pads not being deep enough.

[size=small]"The ear cushion size included with M-100 will fit and give the best sonic performance for the majority of customers, as evidenced by Crossfade LP/LP2/M-100 the highest-rated modern headphone on Amazon.com out of 20,000+ choices. We have spent ~7 years of ergonomic R&D on the Crossfade Series, "the fit is the sound" and we have a utilitarianism philosophy of "greatest sound and comfort for the greatest amount of people". [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]However, since everybody is unique and has a different ear and head shape, we hear you and are in final R&D phases to make a XL ear cushion for LP/LP2/M-100 that is optimized to have a bigger diameter/depth. [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]When this cushion is finished, we will offer it to M-100/LP/LP2 owners with a special program that is not for profit. For those who love the sound and comfort as it is today (that has earned it so many editor's choice awards from CNET to Sound and Vision), the larger cushion will not sound as good as it may sound boomier and the mids won't be as "rich". [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]It is a very delicate balance of sound and fit for a universal headphone and our team has dedicated our lives to this cause. [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Thanks for your support and HAPPY NEW EARS!"[/size]

Huh. I wonder how the new pads will compare to the paper towel mods or the LP/LP2 earpads I have. Right now the M-100 with the LP/LP2 earpads is my Jack of Alltrades, though the K 701 is used more often for acoustic genres/soundstage/gaming.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #11,200 of 23,366
Re my earlier post and classical music, I just listened to The Dance of the Knights from Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev played by the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra on Spotify, if you have M-100s and even a mild interest in classical give it a go and see what you think.......

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #11,201 of 23,366
I
Re my earlier post and classical music, I just listened to The Dance of the Knights from Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev played by the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra on Spotify, if you have M-100s and even a mild interest in classical give it a go and see what you think.......
I found the headphones to be horrific with orchestral music, especially rite of spring by Stravinsky.cthe basson solo in the beginning was overpowered with bass in my opinion. But then again, I favor a neutral can so..

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #11,203 of 23,366
Quote:

Along the same lines, if you like Jazz Vocals, throw on some Melody Gardot if you have Spotify and then tell me the mids are recessed. These cans do all genres well.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #11,204 of 23,366
Quote:
Huh. I wonder how the new pads will compare to the paper towel mods or the LP/LP2 earpads I have. Right now the M-100 with the LP/LP2 earpads is my Jack of Alltrades, though the K 701 is used more often for acoustic genres/soundstage/gaming.

MiceBlue - thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure whether the LP2 earpads fitted the M-100's. Now I'm thinking that i might just buy a pair of these earpads from V-Moda http://v-moda.com/lp-lp2-memory-cushions/

Did you ever get a response from Val about testing alternate/prototype ear cushions for the M100 (i found an old post about this from October 2012)?

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #11,205 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

I was just reading some M100 reviews on Amazon and I found a response from Val to a customer who complained about the M100 ear pads not being deep enough.

[size=small]"The ear cushion size included with M-100 will fit and give the best sonic performance for the majority of customers, as evidenced by Crossfade LP/LP2/M-100 the highest-rated modern headphone on Amazon.com out of 20,000+ choices. We have spent ~7 years of ergonomic R&D on the Crossfade Series, "the fit is the sound" and we have a utilitarianism philosophy of "greatest sound and comfort for the greatest amount of people". [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]However, since everybody is unique and has a different ear and head shape, we hear you and are in final R&D phases to make a XL ear cushion for LP/LP2/M-100 that is optimized to have a bigger diameter/depth. [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]When this cushion is finished, we will offer it to M-100/LP/LP2 owners with a special program that is not for profit. For those who love the sound and comfort as it is today (that has earned it so many editor's choice awards from CNET to Sound and Vision), the larger cushion will not sound as good as it may sound boomier and the mids won't be as "rich". [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]It is a very delicate balance of sound and fit for a universal headphone and our team has dedicated our lives to this cause. [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Thanks for your support and HAPPY NEW EARS!"[/size]

My thoughts exactly. I'm wondering if
Stock pads + pt mod = M-100's award winning sig (For those with bigger ears)?
XL pad - pt mod = M-100's award winning sig?
XL pad + pt mod = Stock pad + pt mod sig?
XL pad + regular ears = not the sound Val wanted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back