V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #11,146 of 23,366
I'm still quite confused as to the instructions regarding how thick the padding should be and how long should they be for DigitalFreak's towel mod. I know there should be 4 sections but how long should they be or how thick?

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #11,147 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm still quite confused as to the instructions regarding how thick the padding should be and how long should they be for DigitalFreak's towel mod. I know there should be 4 sections but how long should they be or how thick?

What I personally did is I took a full grown paper towel (not the half sized ones, although you could use that twice. Then I folded the paper towel in half, then I tore it in half, then I tore the half into a fourth (still keeping them folded over each time I tore).

Then I rolled them up kind of like rectangle folds, and I used the uneven bigger pieces for the bottom since the bottom of the headphones seem to be deeper, and I also tore a bit (like 2 folds amount) off the edge of the paper towel I was stuffing into the top of the cups to make it fit better/even out with the bottoms.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #11,149 of 23,366
Quote:
Does anybody have a pic of the M-100 side by side with the LP? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

The two headphones look almost exactly the same. The only differences are the sound quality, the colour options, and the cliqfold hinges. Everything else is the same, and the shields and earpads from both models are inter-changable (though the M-100's earpads are ever so slightly different in thickness).

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #11,150 of 23,366
The beyer headband doesn't fit BTW...just in case you order one thinking it will, it goes round ok but you can't clip it on so it will be ok for home use but not for portable use!

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #11,151 of 23,366
Quote:
The two headphones look almost exactly the same. The only differences are the sound quality, the colour options, and the cliqfold hinges. Everything else is the same, and the shields and earpads from both models are inter-changable (though the M-100's earpads are ever so slightly different in thickness).

Thanks, I'm fixing to get my girlfriend the white LP and myself the Matte Black M-100, I just wanted to make sure the M-100 wasn't smaller on the head than the LP. I don't know why but I don't want her having bigger cans than me! haha

Also can anyone recommend me a DAC and Amp setup for listening to my M-100 at home through my computer and my PS3 for watching blu-Rays and playing games. I have my eyes on the fiio E9k and E17 combo, and also the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 but I'm not really sure what the best setup for around $275 would be. I appreciate any help.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #11,152 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, I'm fixing to get my girlfriend the white LP and myself the Matte Black M-100, I just wanted to make sure the M-100 wasn't smaller on the head than the LP. I don't know why but I don't want her having bigger cans than me! haha

Also can anyone recommend me a DAC and Amp setup for listening to my M-100 at home through my computer and my PS3 for watching blu-Rays and playing games. I have my eyes on the fiio E9k and E17 combo, and also the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 but I'm not really sure what the best setup for around $275 would be. I appreciate any help.

Schiit Magni/Modi combo for $200

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #11,155 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Schiit Magni/Modi combo for $200

How would I use that combo with a PS3?

Sorry I missed that part. Not sure in that case. If you want preouts, the E09 has that as you listed, as well as M-Stage, and Lyr for amps, and you could get the Modi, or ODAC for the DAC, but these combos are out of your price range

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #11,157 of 23,366
Well, my Matte Blacks arrived Friday. That was just a tease as I went on a short weekend trip and left them at the house, got to experience the Bass Freqs though in the car and I'm pleased with them...I've only used earbuds and never used IEMs before and thought I would hate them. Turns out IEMs don't feel as weird to me as I thought they would, though I still don't think I could ever prefer them to circumaurals. Decent sound for the price (well, free for me lol, but I would def pay the $20 or whatever it is on Amazon for them), a bass-heavy sig that definitely muddies up the rest of the sig, but I still enjoyed it because I'm so used to the cheap, screeching highs earbuds I've used over the years.

Today I opened up the M-100s and I'm listening to them right now. First impressions, Val is even more of an obsessive freak than before. M-80s were a great unboxing experience, this is just another step above that. I swear even the quality of the box has improved. 2 extra gunmetal shields, have yet to open those but I'm sure they're beautiful. The case: my goodness, so tiny. Are there headphones in there? Opening it up, for goodness sake this zipper is horrible, not a smooth operator here. Only thing I don't like so far (and, expected, never liked the M-80 case's zipper either). Slid a little bit open, caught a peek of the M-100s inside...instantly in love with Matte Black. Pretty much no shininess whatsoever, just so stealthy and exuding quality. Fully opened the case, played with the hinge a bit, definitely like it. The portability of these is a big middle finger to every other portable circumaural out there. "Get on my level." Weight: perfect in hand. Heavy enough to feel quality (always felt my M-80s were too light to appropriately feel expensive; may sound strange but to me it's somewhat equivalent to the nice thunk of a heavy luxury car door) but light enough to feel portable. Padding on the headband feels more plush than the M-80s headband, also noticed it's in 3 distinct sections, one on the top and two on the sides (no idea if my M-80s are the same). Cups: padding is definitely more plush than the M-80s pads, which are a bit stiffer. 

Moment of truth: putting them on my head. No joke, this was the moment of truth for these headphones because my concerns about comfort were the reason I've held off on buying them. Will they be true circumaurals for me? Will I cringe in pain? I make adjustments to the headband, going straight for about 4 clicks like I normally have on my M-80s. Getting closer to my head, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...and they're on. O_O my blank face as I'm processing pure stimuli. o_o...where did the headband go? I have KRK KNS 8400s, extremely comfortable headphones. Their pressure point is right on the top of your head, center of the headband (where 2 big memory pads stick out-check my avatar). The M-100s...they're on my head right now, and there is hardly any pressure at any point along the headband. Very light clamping force, similar to the 8400s, definitely surprised me. The cups...why yes, yes, these are true circumaurals for me. Slightly smaller cups than my 8400s, I think, but definitely fully around the ears. Left ear, it goes right over, right ear is a bit tighter (wiggle it a little bit as I put the cup on), but still goes fully over the ear. HUGE sigh of relief. I'm now pretty sure I have a small head and small ears as the M-100s aren't just not uncomfortable for me, they're comfortable. Brought the notches down to 2-3 on both sides, gives it a nice increase in clamp. I'd say on a scale of Light-Medium-Strong clamping force, these are between light and medium. Not so light they don't seal at all (as K550s probably would for me), but not enough for me to rock out much. But I like it. I can rock out mildly and enjoy great comfort. For reference, I wear a 7 1/8 hat size and I'm pretty sure I have small ears. The bottom line is that these are definitely comfortable headphones if they fit your head and ears right. That may sound like a "well, duh" kind of thing, but I've tried headphones before that do fit my head and ears right but still aren't comfortable somehow. One non-positive note here: I've recognized that the pressure point on these (unlike the top headband point of the 8400s) is below the ears, near the jawline. It's like the pressure point of the 8400s: not painful, just slightly unnerving. Actually, it reminds me of what I think when I use my Bass Freqs: it's not that it hurts, it just kind of feels unusual and makes things a little less pleasant. I do have full confidence that this could go away as the fit of my M-80s significantly improved over time (although the M-80s will never be truly comfortable to me and solidified the fact that I don't like supraaurals).

Getting to the music, I thought for a second about which track I wanted to play first. Held the M-100s in my hand as I was going through some music, played a Muse song first. Didn't want to listen to it first, so I just held them in my hands as the track played and did a quick leakage test holding the cups together. Leakage doesn't seem to be a problem here, had to put it up pretty loud before I could detect anything, and even then it was barely noticeable. Really don't want to compare to the 8400s off memory, so I'll have to compare later. Played a Flux Pavilion track with them in my hands, oh my goodness, I think I just felt some vibration from the cups. Never felt that with my M-80s. Settled on Deadmau5-Professional Griefers (Instrumental) for the first track I would listen to. This is 1080p off youtube, so this isn't a test of what the ceiling is for the M-100s in terms of detail retrieval, but it is an important test for me as I'm a fakeophile who isn't ashamed to admit he listens to a lot of music off youtube (and knowing Val, he probably took this into consideration when creating the M-100s-wanted to get great quality sound for addicts who are playing high quality music through their expensive DACs and amps as well as great quality for average consumers like myself who have poorer quality stuff). As the song gets going, yes, the M-100s are definitely bassy. Wow, the bass is just deep and hits hard. I feel like the difference in bass quantity from my 8400s >>> M-80s is about the same as M-80s >>> M-100s. It just hits hard with good definition. I've seen some people say these aren't quite basshead level...my goodness, I wonder how much more you could get than this. Mids did take a bit of a backseat, they were a bit in the background. But they were definitely not encroached upon too much by the bass. The highs were smooth, overall I would say the sound signature is just plain smoove, colored stuff, and I like it. My 8400s are definitely way more balanced, but sound kind of lifeless in comparison. My M-80s: the soundstage is much more in your face, the M-100s are much deeper. Listened to Wolfgang Gartner's Nuke and had similar feelings. We aren't taking about the kind of analytical nature that the 8400s have. But, that's not to say that the M-100s don't have good detail retrieval...I actually noticed something on Professional Griefers about 3/4 the way through that I've never heard with my 8400s (and I've listened to that track many times with my 8400s). That's what leaves me intrigued with the M-100s after a short first listen. Definitely colored, quite so, but we haven't assaulted the mids/highs or detail. I'll have to do more listening to see how I feel, but so far I'm thinking I like what I hear. Ultimately, no matter how the sound ends up, these things have such a nice combination of looks/build quality/portability/features, I'm labeling them top-tier college phones based on those things alone (I can already tell these will accompany many library seshes).

Finally, infinite E-points to whoever came up with the Matte Black+Orange cable combination (I'm pretty sure it was someone on the forum who suggested that combo way back in this thread to Val).

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #11,158 of 23,366
Quote:
Finally, infinite E-points to whoever came up with the Matte Black+Orange cable combination (I'm pretty sure it was someone on the forum who suggested that combo way back in this thread to Val).

Good post and I think it was actually Jude, the owner of Head-fi that pushed for it...tho he may not have come up with the idea originally.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #11,160 of 23,366
Hats off to you, UCLA, I know it's not always easy to write longer reviews and put feelings and thoughts to words, especially while craving to just listen to music. If you haven't already, I recommend putting a review in the official review section for the M-100s, so that it doesn't get buried in this thread and others can find your impression easily to make their decisions. Thanks for sharing them!

Good post and I think it was actually Jude, the owner of Head-fi that pushed for it...tho he may not have come up with the idea originally.

From what I recall, Val said something like "I'm getting tired of black & red everywhere. But I've really been into Orange lately." That was a paraphrase, but he also asked about blue, and a bunch of us weighed in. Then he showed us a picture of the retail boxes, and it was pretty much game over :wink: (despite a few photoshop efforts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back