V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 15, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #10,546 of 23,366
Might. Be. Getting. This. And over getting a new phone! Man, is that dumb? I can get the new powerful Nexus 4 for the same price. It has all that technology, and a headphone is just as expensive! I am crazy. Now I just need to decide between Shadow or white.

Question: When you say "laidback," does that mean the midrange is recessed? Like far away? Or does it mean it is not as loud and aggressive like the bass and high?

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #10,547 of 23,366
Quote:

what the **** did I just watch?

I have no idea, but it very much reminds me of this bit:

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #10,549 of 23,366
Oh! And this is the big deciding factor for me, I need to know how well the vocals in this song is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_qdlf-g9sk
Make sure to listen it in 720p(yes i know thats picture resolution) or higher! Don't mind the pictures.
Do they immediately sound a lot quieter or recessed than everything else? Instantly? But is it still detailed and crystal clear?

Adding another test track! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5f1gXBEybs this song isn't as aggressive. The way they are presented on the M-80, everything is basically perfect. Voice and guitars are not being overshadowed by the other instruments.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #10,550 of 23,366
Quote:
Oh! And this is the big deciding factor for me, I need to know how well the vocals in this song is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_qdlf-g9sk
Make sure to listen it in 720p(yes i know thats picture resolution) or higher! Don't mind the pictures.
Do they immediately sound a lot quieter or recessed than everything else? Instantly? But is it still detailed and crystal clear?

Adding another test track! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5f1gXBEybs this song isn't as aggressive. The way they are presented on the M-80, everything is basically perfect. Voice and guitars are not being overshadowed by the other instruments.

Both tracks sound pretty good with the M-100. The cymbals are kind of quiet, but the shimmer is there. Likewise, vocals are clear for the most part, but they are further back on the stage with the guitars and bass pedal being in front of him; sometimes the guitar and bass pedal get a little distracting from the singer though as a result of the singer being a bit farther back on the stage. It still sounds good, just not as energetic and engaging as I would like for a rock track (though maybe it's a personal preference); the bass pedal's chest-hitting bass sounds nice on the other hand.

Sorry, didn't see your previous post:
Quote:
Question: When you say "laidback," does that mean the midrange is recessed? Like far away? Or does it mean it is not as loud and aggressive like the bass and high?

From Stereophile:
Quote:
laid-back Recessed, distant-sounding, having exaggerated depth, usually because of a dished midrange. See "Row-M sound." Compare "forward."

E.g. hearing someone talk to you in your ear would be forward whereas the same person talking at the same volume 5 meters away would be laid-back; it sounds distant relative to other forward sounds. I like to talk about sounds relative to where they are on a concert stage, so I find that the people talking/vocals are often a few steps back from the front of the stage or mid-stage depending on the track.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #10,553 of 23,366
Quote:
Retalliation video:

Wut, she's only 20? I honestly thought she was in her late 20's...so much make-up. >.>

Speaking of K-pop though, this OST sounds really great through the M-100's (if I listen to K-pop, I prefer the slower, more emotional variety, similar to Chinese-pop):

All of these tracks sound pretty good even with the laid-back midrange.
Male vocal track

^ might be biased for this song cuz it activates my ASMR

Female vocal track

Instrumental track

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #10,554 of 23,366
Quote:
I brought my M-100 back to Perth during my holidays there last week. Used it on the plane to watch movies.
I called a Perth Head-Fi meet too as I brought back other goodies to show but the Perth Head-Fiers were busy.

What was your impression on movies AnakChan?  Similar to mine?

for pieces that have very dynamic volumes and for movies I found the quiet scenes were having to compete with the background noise quite significantly.  I actually found myself constantly messing with the volume while watching Avengers, which is something I don’t typically do with my Shures, but admittedly some of this was due to the pilot making major changes in engine RPM etc…  However, the overall experience was still very positive and I think in many scenarios the sound was still superior to my less expensive IEMs and often rivaled my Shures.  I FOR SURE appreciated the bass boost while in these environments.  When competing with the drone of an engine that extra punch was very welcomed.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #10,555 of 23,366
Mhmm that's true. I wrote this thread some time ago explaining how you can have "physical media buttons" on your iPod Touch. Jailbreak the iTouch and installing the "Activator" app via Cydia can allow you to create custom shortcuts for various things. For instance, I have "press volume up and volume down buttons at the same time" to play/pause music, "press and hold volume up" to skip to next track, the opposite for volume down. Very useful indeed, especially when your iTouch is in your pocket and you don't want to take it out. :wink:

thanks miceblue!
ill try out the app, sounds good

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #10,557 of 23,366
Quote:
What was your impression on movies AnakChan?  Similar to mine?

for pieces that have very dynamic volumes and for movies I found the quiet scenes were having to compete with the background noise quite significantly.  I actually found myself constantly messing with the volume while watching Avengers, which is something I don’t typically do with my Shures, but admittedly some of this was due to the pilot making major changes in engine RPM etc…  However, the overall experience was still very positive and I think in many scenarios the sound was still superior to my less expensive IEMs and often rivaled my Shures.  I FOR SURE appreciated the bass boost while in these environments.  When competing with the drone of an engine that extra punch was very welcomed.

Glad you put your impressions in the post 'cos I couldn't remember what thoughts were. I must say I've not had that experience. I set my volume once and kept it the same. I do the same when I'm watching at home (iMac -> Fostex HP-A8 -> V-Moda M-100). I didn't have to fiddle around with the volume.

Could it have been the movie track itself?

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #10,558 of 23,366
Quote:

Glad you put your impressions in the post 'cos I couldn't remember what thoughts were. I must say I've not had that experience. I set my volume once and kept it the same. I do the same when I'm watching at home (iMac -> Fostex HP-A8 -> V-Moda M-100). I didn't have to fiddle around with the volume.

Could it have been the movie track itself?

Could have definitely been the movie.  It was an action flick, so it had a huge range of scene volumes.  What I found was that during the talking portions I had to have one volume to hear the movie over the drone of the airplane, but then when we got to a lot of explosions and stuff it was too loud.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #10,559 of 23,366
Quote:
Could have definitely been the movie.  It was an action flick, so it had a huge range of scene volumes.  What I found was that during the talking portions I had to have one volume to hear the movie over the drone of the airplane, but then when we got to a lot of explosions and stuff it was too loud.

Did you try other seats? There's a higher chance it was the crappy seat controls. You could try using the M-100 with other movies on your home setup to see if that's the case. I tend to use my M-100 quite a bit at home - great isolation for baby cries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back