V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 14, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #10,501 of 23,366
I wish they could install my custom shields for me.
Gave my M-100 2 slight scratches while trying to remove the basic shields.
frown.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #10,504 of 23,366
Quote:

If you really like the Amperior, you might find the M-100 disappointing since the aggressive treble is gone, the mids are more laid-back, and the bass isn't quite as punchy. The M-100's bass is more like the "rumble of thunder" (lower-bass) whereas the Amperior's is more of the "clubbing" type of bass (mid to upper-bass).

I'll have to disagree with you there Miceblue, the 'Club sound' is - for me at least - the result of massive speakers' sub-bass throbbing your chest and the synergy of kick and snare drums forcing you to shake yo groove thang. The throbbing is <100 Hz; the kick drum is 100-150Hz; the snare "warmth" or OOMPH which you get from 909s is around 200Hz and the snap from both of these is further up around 1-2.5kHz (depending on the sound of the drums). All of these the M-100s produces amazingly, better than any other headphones I've tried. I would say the club sound is the M-100's defining characteristic.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #10,505 of 23,366
Quote:

I'll have to disagree with you there Miceblue, the 'Club sound' is - for me at least - the result of massive speakers' sub-bass throbbing your chest and the synergy of kick and snare drums forcing you to shake yo groove thang. The throbbing is <100 Hz; the kick drum is 100-150Hz; the snare "warmth" or OOMPH which you get from 909s is around 200Hz and the snap from both of these is further up around 1-2.5kHz (depending on the sound of the drums). All of these the M-100s produces amazingly, better than any other headphones I've tried. I would say the club sound is the M-100's defining characteristic.

Miceblue could be thinking of the club sound of the 90's - not implying anything about his age or anything. But a few months ago attending a presentation by Sony, they showed a chart of how "bass" has been defined to lower and lower frequencies as we moved from the 80's -> 90's -> current as music becomes more electronically produced.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #10,506 of 23,366
Quote:
From memory:
  1. the Amperior has more of a "peak" (as opposed to broad) bass response such that the bass is more punchy and doesn't have the same extension
  2. I keep saying that I find the M-100's mids to be laid-back, the Amperior's are more forward; on the other hand, tonally I find the M-100's mids to be pretty accurate for the most part, far more so compared to the Amperior
  3. the Amperior has more treble energy, extension, and is definitely more forward, so it's probably more preferable for rock music
  4. yowzees that sibilance is such a problem for me with the Amperior, not so with the M-100

If you really like the Amperior, you might find the M-100 disappointing since the aggressive treble is gone, the mids are more laid-back, and the bass isn't quite as punchy. The M-100's bass is more like the "rumble of thunder" (lower-bass) whereas the Amperior's is more of the "clubbing" type of bass (mid to upper-bass).

Personally I much prefer the M-100 to the Amperior as I didn't like the Amperior upon my first listen to them, and again a few weeks later. The sibilance was really a detraction for my musical tastes.

Excellent comparison.  I would go as far as to say this the best concise comparison between M-100 and Amperior I have read to date.  Well done.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #10,507 of 23,366
Quote:

Miceblue could be thinking of the club sound of the 90's - not implying anything about his age or anything. But a few months ago attending a presentation by Sony, they showed a chart of how "bass" has been defined to lower and lower frequencies as we moved from the 80's -> 90's -> current as music becomes more electronically produced.

My extensive "80's Club Mix" compared to my "Current Hot Mix" Playlists on my Iphone would agree.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #10,508 of 23,366
Got mine today, have been on my head for a few hours so far. I would like to know what this 'running in' process is, pink noise? Does it make a difference? and also now that a lot more people have them.. do you see a nice difference with an amp?

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #10,509 of 23,366
Quote:
My extensive "80's Club Mix" compared to my "Current Hot Mix" Playlists on my Iphone would agree.

I haven't dared admit having 80's club mix on my iPhone, but I do have WHAM!, Modern Talking, Europe, and others which I'm far more ashamed to mention.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #10,510 of 23,366
Quote:

I haven't dared admit having 80's club mix on my iPhone, but I do have WHAM!, Modern Talking, Europe, and others which I'm far more ashamed to mention.

I think there are more one-hit wonders from the 80's than any other time in history.  The memories of the hair and clothes definitely detract from the music.  I still can't believe I wore two-tone jeans back in the day- one color in the front half, a different color in the back.  These were very popular in the US at that time.  However, back in my college days, I could rock the Miami Vice look- white linen pants and matching jacket with a turquiose button down, TMI?

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #10,511 of 23,366
Times have moved on somewhat :p, dance music is either highly progressive or extremely fickle depending on your point of view.

Someone dropped this in a club this other day:

C2C – Down The Road

Much confusion on my face.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #10,515 of 23,366
Damn never noticed how sick some of the bass lines are for RHCP.

I think I may secretly be a bass head....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back