V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #9,781 of 23,366
As I have seen from reading and watching many reviews of different products; we all have different tastes. Love it or hate it.
So, one headphone may suit you better than another.
One guy may think a headphone has a lot of bass, whereas another who has listened to a lot more will go "actually it doesn't have much bass at all compared to some others I've listened to".
Another may say "it sounds pretty neutral, and has an amazing sound signature", whereas another may think it sounds overly bassy, or overly done on the high end, resulting in a not so amazing sound signature.

That is why I guess I don't get now, wanting comparisons between products that are completely different to the one being tested.
You would have to litterally try them yourself to get a personal opinion of the two, or three you are looking at.
Or, as I have done, take the plunge, and if you enjoy them, thats great!
Why compare, if you enjoy them? That is what I think anyway now.

I personally wouldn't look at the mad dogs for all round use because I do not like the look of them. Does that make the headphone bad? No. It just makes it useless to my needs.

To answer your question though, the LP2's are meant to be less bassy than the LP's, but the M-100's are meant to have a better sound balancing, with more balanced mids and highs, that shouldn't (and I use the word shouldn't as I've explained, we all have different ears and preferences) blend badly, and should result in a pleasing high end portable headphone that offers clarity and substance over other headphones offering the same type of bass response. They do not use bass as a substitute for quality.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #9,782 of 23,366
Comparing it to another product could say if one has more bass than the other though. "too much" and "just right" will differ from person to person but I'm sure everyone will hear that X is much bassier than Y.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #9,783 of 23,366
Quote:
Comparing it to another product could say if one has more bass than the other though. "too much" and "just right" will differ from person to person but I'm sure everyone will hear that X is much bassier than Y.

I wasn't really getting at your post on the LP2's and the M-100's as you may find someone with these two headphones, but the M-100's should offer a more balanced sound than the LP range, as this is what it was intended to do. It was intended to offer more clarity over the LP line.
If it does have more bass than say the LP2's, it shouldn't do so by compromising quality in other areas.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #9,784 of 23,366
Well, fine then. I DID take the plunge with the M-100s, I'm just very impatient, and waiting for the shipping confirmation is just making me shop around for a next set of headphones that differ entirely from the 'average reviewed signature' (I say that because everyone's ears are different) and graphs of the M-100s.

Personally, I love how tacky and cheesy the MadDogs look, they remind me of my dad sitting in his room listening to Pet Sounds on vinyl as a 14 year old. That's just the look they give, and for some reason, I love it. But how do they compare sonically to M-100? I mean, I bought the M-100s based on what this thread has to say, so I didn't think it'd be so far fetched to ask the thread for a comparison, given they're all within the same price range/fidelity.

EDIT: Perhaps this is a topic for a new thread? Please advise me, I'm reletively new here. Mostly been a lurker until a few months ago

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #9,785 of 23,366
I hear you on the impatience side.. ordered mine on October 17.  Hopefully they will ship in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to hear them with my iPad Mini as the source.. pretty impressive with the M80.. hopefully will get better with the M100.
popcorn.gif

Quote:
Well, fine then. I DID take the plunge with the M-100s, I'm just very impatient, and waiting for the shipping confirmation is just making me shop around for a next set of headphones that differ entirely from the 'average reviewed signature' (I say that because everyone's ears are different) and graphs of the M-100s.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #9,786 of 23,366
Just wondering...

Does anyone know the backlog time if I order them from V-Moda?  I tried calling today and no one answered.  Also, I see they are listed on Amazon now.  I tried to order some, and it goes through but there is no expected delivery date....

Anyone order lately? 

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #9,788 of 23,366
Quote:
Just wondering...

Does anyone know the backlog time if I order them from V-Moda?  I tried calling today and no one answered.  Also, I see they are listed on Amazon now.  I tried to order some, and it goes through but there is no expected delivery date....

Anyone order lately? 

They usually finish up their orders within a day or two. I get my stuff in within a week of ordering from them.

As for a DT1350 comparison, let me just hit the main points. The DT1350's are pretty neutral with forward mids, so vocal driven songs were a delight to listen to them. Definitely loved listening to female vocals with them. But they're neutral to the point that it wasn't as fun to listen to as the M-100's. With the bass slant, it really goes for the kill with a purring bass and, at least for me, near sibilant but not sibilant treble. Comfortwise, the M-100's are a better wear, as the DT1350's have a much stronger clamping force, but with that, the DT1350's easily, easily beat out the M-100's in term of isolation if that's your necessity. Isolation on the M-100 isn't great, but as someone who would like to hear a bit of his surroundings while he walks, it's more than sufficient. Let's see, DT1350's fold up while the DT1350's cups rotate. I think the DT1350's required a bit more energy poured in to get the same volume, but it's capable of being driven out of portable sources without an amp.

Overall, if your priority is a more neutral sound signature that's more accurate and a supraaural set, get the DT1350's. But for me, the M-100's were the way to go.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #9,789 of 23,366
[size=10pt]Hey Apo0th3karY – I’ve got both the Mad Dogs and M-100’s coming my way so I’ll try and do a sound comparison when they arrive.[/size]

[size=10pt]Given the size and impedance of the Mad Dogs I purchased these for home studio use (running off an amp) with M-100s intended as a portable casual listening hp. Without having heard them I’m counting on their sound signatures being quite different. Why have two cans that sound the same? The MDs use a different driver type (orthodynamic) and from what I understand are more balanced and… dare I say it … closer to a true audiophile sound signature so would be better for use as a monitor hp for mastering.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I hear you about their look - the Fostex cans have a clunky 90's Japanese aesthetic to them. Put it this way, I wont be wearing these babies on public transport but I'm more excited about getting them then the M-100's[/size][/size]

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #9,790 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But how do they compare sonically to M-100? I mean, I bought the M-100s based on what this thread has to say, so I didn't think it'd be so far fetched to ask the thread for a comparison, given they're all within the same price range/fidelity.

No contest, Mad Dogs walk all over the M100s in terms of sound. Mids are excellent (not so on the M100s). Bass goes deep without being overbearing (unlike the M100s... though bass is indeed good on the V-MODAs). Highs are the only area that I think the Mad Dogs lack a bit and actually I enjoy the M100s more on that regard (depends on songs though, maybe it's my source/mp3s). M100s are indeed fun sounding and pleasant (i.e. not ear-piercing) BUT I feel like I can listen to ANY genre on the Mad Dogs and the sound is natural with great tone. Both do well with details... both have 'Ok' soundstage but I prefer the Mad Dogs probably due to the way the natural sound comes together.

Apart from that, comfort... DEFINITELY goes to the Mad Dogs!!!!

Build... V-MODA says that they are mega resistant... I don't think so... Cables fraying, Wingtips cracking and coming apart, Shields getting damaged... If I can't sell my M100s, I'm going to throw them to the floor 30 times and see what happens! :p

Anyway... There...

:p

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #9,792 of 23,366
Quote:

No contest, Mad Dogs walk all over the M100s in terms of sound. Mids are excellent (not so on the M100s). Bass goes deep without being overbearing (unlike the M100s... though bass is indeed good on the V-MODAs). Highs are the only area that I think the Mad Dogs lack a bit and actually I enjoy the M100s more on that regard (depends on songs though, maybe it's my source/mp3s). M100s are indeed fun sounding and pleasant (i.e. not ear-piercing) BUT I feel like I can listen to ANY genre on the Mad Dogs and the sound is natural with great tone. Both do well with details... both have 'Ok' soundstage but I prefer the Mad Dogs probably due to the way the natural sound comes together.

Apart from that, comfort... DEFINITELY goes to the Mad Dogs!!!!

Build... V-MODA says that they are mega resistant... I don't think so... Cables fraying, Wingtips cracking and coming apart, Shields getting damaged... If I can't sell my M100s, I'm going to throw them to the floor 30 times and see what happens! :p

Anyway... There...

:p

Fraying cables isn't much more than a cosmetic issue if you ask me, and shields getting damaged is something that could happen to any headphones with metal on the outside like that.  The wingplates cracking, on the other hand, is more serious and I expect it's a defect that will probably be fixed in later production runs (the M-80 has never been reported to have these issues as far as I know, but the original LP has had them).

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #9,794 of 23,366
Quote:
Fraying cables isn't much more than a cosmetic issue if you ask me, and shields getting damaged is something that could happen to any headphones with metal on the outside like that.  The wingplates cracking, on the other hand, is more serious and I expect it's a defect that will probably be fixed in later production runs (the M-80 has never been reported to have these issues as far as I know, but the original LP has had them).

The M-80 had them but they were fixed after the first run. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back