V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #9,451 of 23,366
Quote:

I don't know what you're smoking, that 30Hz squarewave is extremely good, a very tight and punchy bass response, what you might observe as loose bass in this case is the sheer quantity of it in that case, at some point bass will sound loose no matter how good it as it's overshadowing the rest of the range too much. This looks to be some of the punchiest bass I've seen which is a good thing, drums really should have a very impactful taut hit to it.

The bass looks to be measuring perfect for my taste, only the lower midrange is a little worrisome but if modding the pads helps, then that's cool, it's not really that far off, optimally I had probably prefered the 500Hz area to be about 3~4dB or so higher, I will definitely give M100 a try at the very least since Tyll emphasize how it's especially fit for modern electronic music which I mostly listen to and the weak points are those which aren't my personal top prorities (instrument separation, resolution & air in the highs) and I more want a fun headphone that engages me when listening to music (I barely can sit still when listening to hardstyle on my M-Audio Q40 because it's so engaging with the ZO amp especially).

Generally M100 seems to do well in the aspects that are important for me;

- A FUN & engaging focusing headphone
- Tight and punchy bass response
- BALANCED midbass vs subbass presence
- Non-sibilant highs
- Good prat
- Good soundstage for a closed headphone 

What ultimately may stop me from completely loving them is any upper-mid spikes/resonances and the slightly recessed lower-midrange.

The M-100 hits all these check boxes for me.  While I respect miceblue's opinion and the extensive time and effort placed in his review and comments, I disagree with the conclusion as they seem highly critical of what I consider to be the best sounding headphone in their price range and and close to my ideal of perfection in a headphone I have heard anywhere near its price range.  The tight, punchy bass in particular stands out among any headphone in their price range.  I also feel that Momentum's bass is intrusive and muddy compared to M-100.  On the other end of the frequency spectrum, I find Momentum's highs harsh compared to extended yet smooth for M-100.  Just my two cents.

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #9,452 of 23,366
Quote:
The M-100 hits all these check boxes for me.  While I respect miceblue's opinion and the extensive time and effort placed in his review and comments, I disagree with the conclusion as they seem highly critical of what I consider to be the best sounding headphone in their price range and and close to my ideal of perfection in a headphone I have heard anywhere near its price range.  The tight, punchy bass in particular stands out among any headphone in their price range.  I also feel that Momentum's bass is intrusive and muddy compared to M-100.  On the other end of the frequency spectrum, I find Momentum's highs harsh compared to extended yet smooth for M-100.  Just my two cents.

You disliked Momemtum too quite a bit? I heard them and was so dissappointed with those for their asking price. And it's not a question of taste but things that can always be concidered bad such as lack of detail, resolution, somewhat muddy bass, hollow midrange, slightly sibilant highs etc

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #9,453 of 23,366
Quote:

You disliked Momemtum too quite a bit? I heard them and was so dissappointed with those for their asking price. And it's not a question of taste but things that can always be concidered bad such as lack of detail, resolution, somewhat muddy bass, hollow midrange, slightly sibilant highs etc

Goes to show not all reviewers have the same ears, if Tyll stated he thought the Momemtum's were better for more laid back ranges of music.
Detail/clarity is what matters to me, with a nice sound stage, but I don't mind bass being prominent, as long as it doesn't affect anything else

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #9,454 of 23,366
Quote:

As it seems we have nearly identical taste in sound, I can say with some degree of confidence that you will love the M-100.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #9,455 of 23,366
Quote:
Does anyone have any Ideas? 

Not trying to sound pathetic, but man, I wish I could get my headphones. Really was hoping to have something to relax to after a long day in this hell hole called Afghanistan. 

Wow man... that sucks. Did she send it via UPS or USPS? I would have your wife bring it up with whoever she shipped with. Since it's insured, they should be able to track it. If it's lost, I have no idea how they'd replace a limited product like this. If when all is said and done you can't get the pair you ordered back, see if you can get in touch with Val and let him know what happened. You make great sacrifices for our country, I'm sure he'd set you up with a pair.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #9,456 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah, I'm now even more unsure...
He said basically that they are not ideal for classical/jazz and other softer genres, yet, my spectrum of music goes to that, from the likes of Trance, and bass heavy stuff, so I'm into everything.
If the bass really is so hard hitting, and they can't be lowered with EQ without affecting other frequencies, I may find that they are going back.
If the bass is controlled though, I may not have a problem, but again, I will have to see.

Ideal as anakchan and others such as myself have addressed that it's not that they play them awfully. They play them fine, if at least a bit colored and not the most accurate. There are better headphones to serve your purpose if those are your main listening genres, but that isn't to say that the M-100's does them poorly. They play adequately imo, but for more songs for the fun of it, they are fantastic.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #9,457 of 23,366
So according to Tyll even the momentum feels more balanced than the m100?
oh well , might be a dealbreaker for me

Being more tonally balanced is not everything. I actually will admit that I feel the Momentums (to me) are more tonally balanced than the M-100 (but by itself is -not-...look at the MDR-1R for something even more tonally balanced but still again, not tonally balanced on its own...i.e. it's all relative).

However, between Momentum's "tonally balanced" & less than ideal bass control/congestion vs. M-100's coloured bass but more open & better controlled exciting bass, I'd pick the M-100. And to put the money where my mouth is, I sold my Momentums last month.

Just my 2 yen worth.

P.S. although some may consider me as a V-Moda fanboy, I do believe there are other headphones that are better (to MY ears) than the M-100. The thing is that those headphones are not in the same price range as the M-100. Craigster75 knows my stance on this.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #9,458 of 23,366
Quote:
Wow man... that sucks. Did she send it via UPS or USPS? I would have your wife bring it up with whoever she shipped with. Since it's insured, they should be able to track it. If it's lost, I have no idea how they'd replace a limited product like this. If when all is said and done you can't get the pair you ordered back, see if you can get in touch with Val and let him know what happened. You make great sacrifices for our country, I'm sure he'd set you up with a pair.

It was shipped through USPS which is the only wat to get stuff here. They said that they can only track using the bar code that is on the box. Unfortunatley, the box is somewhere with that Bar Code on it. They cannot track it using the customs confirmation number. SO, yah. I would like to think that Val could help me but they did arrive at the address they were shipped too. So it's not their fault and don't know how willing he would be to help me out. Thank you for the support.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #9,459 of 23,366
Quote:

It was shipped through USPS which is the only wat to get stuff here. They said that they can only track using the bar code that is on the box. Unfortunatley, the box is somewhere with that Bar Code on it. They cannot track it using the customs confirmation number. SO, yah. I would like to think that Val could help me but they did arrive at the address they were shipped too. So it's not their fault and don't know how willing he would be to help me out. Thank you for the support.

Worth a shot though you know. Considering the package was insured, its a bit daft they can't trace it.
Contact Val, and see what he can do :)

This is going to be an expensive Christmas for me... Just shelled out on KEF Celeste III speakers for my dad... That with the rest, and my own prezzie for myself haha...

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #9,460 of 23,366
Quote:
Worth a shot though you know. Considering the package was insured, its a bit daft they can't trace it.
Contact Val, and see what he can do :)

This is going to be an expensive Christmas for me... Just shelled out on KEF Celeste III speakers for my dad... That with the rest, and my own prezzie for myself haha...

Well I sent an email to V-Moda Support with my original Order #. I hope they can maybe forward it up the chain to Val. It really sucks to even think that someone would steal a package from someone who is deployed. I really think that is the case. With a box that is labled "headphones" on the customs form and insured for $300 dollars, I could see some greedy person holding them and not sending them on their way to me.

If Val see's this, Any help you can provide good sir would be appreciated. I have been waiting so long for these to get here to me.

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #9,462 of 23,366
Quote:
Why wait for him to see it here? Send him a PM. As the brother of a serviceman, Val would probably be more than happy to accomodate your situation.

Stay safe out there.

Well I didn't want to send him a "poor me" message but I did just send him a PM of my situation. I received an email back from V-Moda Support and they are unable to help since they don't have any in stock until next months launch. I am not expecting a hand out in any way, would just love to get my VTF's.

Thanks for your support Robble.

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #9,463 of 23,366
Quote:
Well I didn't want to send him a "poor me" message but I did just send him a PM of my situation. I received an email back from V-Moda Support and they are unable to help since they don't have any in stock until next months launch. I am not expecting a hand out in any way, would just love to get my VTF's.

Thanks for your support Robble.

Hey man...I didn't hear it said here yet...so let me be the first..

Thank you for your service. It's your sacrifices that keep us free.

Thank you.

Steve from NYC

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #9,464 of 23,366
Does anyone have a list of recommended mods for the M-100's? Should be getting them next month and want to have everything ready. Also, does anyone have any thoughts/comparisons of how the M-100 performs with FiiO products? My baseline are HD25's and a customized pair of Grado woodies with v4 Magnums in them. How do you guys think the M-100 compares to them? I went with the 100's because I loved the 80's...and my wife HATES the Grado's lol...something about..."I can hear those all the way in the other room..." or some such nonsense...I have no idea what she's talking about...LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back