V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #8,988 of 23,366
Quote:

Yea well I've been very satisfied with Q40 with female vocals especially so I'm a little worried about M100 about this, but only when Q40 is paired with ZO2.1  and the simple padmod that deepens the cups a little bit which makes the Q40 sound less smeared in the midrange and better separated. I do expect M100 to have an improvement in terms of separation and transparency but I'm worried if they are not "in-your-face" enough on M100. I'd probably do the padmod for M100 too which appearently brings mids forward a bit. Maybe with padmod + ZO2.1 it would sound quite nice I'm thinking, ZO2.1 brings mids a bit more forward in comparision to highs too.

The mids on the M100 are recessed but not a drastic "V" as the HD25-1 or the M50. This may be due to its very forward mid-bass and weighty sub-bass. The Q40 is more intimate sounding. The M100's mids do have the advantage of being more detailed (not "smeared" like the Q40) and having deeper soundstage. It's not perfect but still satisfying for vocal music because it sounds very clean and smooth.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #8,989 of 23,366
Quote:
Injecting some Dutch post-Sandy love into the US-economy 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Keep it up EastCoasters!

Now, after buying the iPhone this afternoon (Apple Store Amsterdam) I went to check out Sennheiser's Momentum. Admittedly, It was not an ideal listening enviroment (noisy), but I feel 100 times more happy spending roughly the same amount of money on the M-100's then on the Senns (not just trying to justify my new purchase here). I thought the Momentum sounded muddy, too bass heavy and 'slow'. I think I'd say the same about the Amperiors wich stood next to them. (I'd prefer the sound of my Sennheiser HD 595's, but you know, thats an open-backed can)

Build wise, these 'phones made me remember remarks by a The Verge-editor recently about the iPhone 5; about tech-gear resembling jewelry, in a not to flashy way. In the case (sic) of the M-100's that's one tough diamond. I think it's quite a feat by V-Moda to build something like this, with them being a relatively small company compared to the likes of Sennheiser or Philips. Not at all suprised about Val's earlier remarks that he had numerous companies wanting to buy V-Moda. Luckily, he's managed to keep them at bay so far. 

All in all, these headphones sound fun, in-your-face, coherent and detailed. For the love of music, you'd do yourself a huge disfavour by not checking out the M-100's (okay, I just made it sound slightly more complicated then necessary, but you get the point). Thanks for reading - rock on!

#happycamper

+1 regarding your thoughts on the M-100 in comparison to the Senns.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #8,990 of 23,366
I'm going to pre-order them tomorrow and hope that the VAT doesn't make the price go through the roof in the UK and that the shipping doesn't kill me either. I definietly don't want to be choosing the 4-5 week option..

I think in termd of quality, I will be happy.
Looking forward to seeing the video review :)

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #8,993 of 23,366
Quote:
  Which 1 (or 2) should I pick for my shields?

Reminds me of the Blackwater Security logo missing a toe.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #8,995 of 23,366
Now I'm a complete wreck about my next purchase. I have m-100's on pre-order, which was solidified after buying some secondhand m-80's. As much as I love the sound on these on-ears, IEM's just have flat better isolation and long term comfort. NYC is all subways and wind, and the m-80's have suffered a bit from those conditions and some mild microphonics. This is leading me to consider cancelling my m-100's (oh but I want that bass purr so bad...) and put my faith in 4ba IEMs. UE900 vs Heir 4ai seems to be the real battle, as I already have Westone Um2's and am curious for a diff sig.

So this leads to the real meat of the post: How are microphonics compared to m-80's as well as wind? I noticed for example on the subway when it turns and squeaks I actually grimace a bit cause it almost amplifies the noise, do M-100's have a similar design issue?

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #8,996 of 23,366
Quote:
Now I'm a complete wreck about my next purchase. I have m-100's on pre-order, which was solidified after buying some secondhand m-80's. As much as I love the sound on these on-ears, IEM's just have flat better isolation and long term comfort. NYC is all subways and wind, and the m-80's have suffered a bit from those conditions and some mild microphonics. This is leading me to consider cancelling my m-100's (oh but I want that bass purr so bad...) and put my faith in 4ba IEMs. UE900 vs Heir 4ai seems to be the real battle, as I already have Westone Um2's and am curious for a diff sig.

So this leads to the real meat of the post: How are microphonics compared to m-80's as well as wind? I noticed for example on the subway when it turns and squeaks I actually grimace a bit cause it almost amplifies the noise, do M-100's have a similar design issue?

Microphonics, I find, are about the same as the M-80, but wind noise is slightly less and isolation a bit more.  Works fine for me on a bus at any rate.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #8,997 of 23,366
Quote:
Microphonics, I find, are about the same as the M-80, but wind noise is slightly less and isolation a bit more.  Works fine for me on a bus at any rate.

ahh... almost heartbreaking cause those factors are near deal breakers.  I'm glad I got the 80's as a test run for the 100's. I agree about buses, I used them for a 4 hour bus trip upstate and didn't have a problem, but since subway is my primary means and I use headphones to drown out the crying babies, loud talkers, and general creaks and moans, and to block outside noise in general. Still got time to make a decision in any case.

Off topic, but seeing as how this is a place where people put things on their ears, I took an aptitude test a couple years ago, and one thing that stuck out then was my tester described my hearing (pitch recognition and such) as highly sensitive, enough that I am easily distracted by noises. Might explain my propensity for IEMs. Anyone else in a similar boat? Also where do you go to do more detailed testing for hearing? I remember seeing some people post about hearing levels/sensitivities. nothing like a good post derailing.

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #8,998 of 23,366
Quote:
How in the heck do I get my hands on these by Saturday? They're exactly what I want and in my price range, but V-MODA claims not to have any, nor will they, until December. I've used their cheap in-ears from Radioshack w/ comply tips, and they're exceptional for the price. I know I'll love these. I'm desperate for them. Did anyone here get a comp for a review that wouldn't mind giving them up for a month in exchange for the full purchase price + shipping? 

Are you going out of town Saturday or something?  If you need cans to tide you over in the meantime there are plenty of options for less than $50 (JVC HA-S500 or AKG K81 are both good), or if you're frugal there's the $8 Monoprice headphones.  I highly doubt anyone is willing to trade their M-100's just for a month, I would keep checking e-bay though as I'm sure more will pop up there (probably for no less than $400 though)

Can somebody do me a MASSIVE favor and tell me how the M-100's sound with this song?  Unfortunately about 1/3 of hip/hop these days is mixtape-quality only, and compressed hi-hats/samples can sound painfully sibilant through my HD25's (especially on this song).   I only briefly used the M-80's but they were drastically better, however since the M-100 is more v-shaped I'm wondering if they still fare as well with those hip/hop mp3's - I've heard them described as "almost sibilant," which sound like it could mean "sibilant with mp3's"

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #8,999 of 23,366
Quote:
Are you going out of town Saturday or something?  If you need cans to tide you over in the meantime there are plenty of options for less than $50 (JVC HA-S500 or AKG K81 are both good), or if you're frugal there's the $8 Monoprice headphones.  I highly doubt anyone is willing to trade their M-100's just for a month, I would keep checking e-bay though as I'm sure more will pop up there (probably for no less than $400 though)

Can somebody do me a MASSIVE favor and tell me how the M-100's sound with this song?  Unfortunately about 1/3 of hip/hop these days is mixtape-quality only, and compressed hi-hats/samples can sound painfully sibilant through my HD25's (especially on this song).   I only briefly used the M-80's but they were drastically better, however since the M-100 is more v-shaped I'm wondering if they still fare as well with those hip/hop mp3's - I've heard them described as "almost sibilant," which sound like it could mean "sibilant with mp3's"

I usually don't listen to modern hip hop so I might be biased against this track.

The high-hats sound fine, the vocals are, as you mentioned, near-sibilant (the sss sounds are sharp, but not ear-grating sharp like on the Amperior from my experience). Either the sss sounds are near-sibilant and are fatiguing my ears, or my ears are just getting fatigued from the "monotonous" vocals.

...and the number of posts in this thread...

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #9,000 of 23,366
Okay i have a question ive been wanting to ask. Since the m100s have dual cable inputs, doesn't this mean you can daisy chain it to another headphone ? so why does one need the SharePlay cable ? But at the same time does this mean that you can have 3 ppl listening all at once? (one using the the SharePlay cable and the other with the other cable input ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back