V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 22, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #8,506 of 23,366
Quote:
No I don't get any comfort issues with them on top of my head.
They really aren't heavy headphones for a over ear.

Quote:
The m100s are roughly 280 grams, which is incredibly light for an Over-the-ear headphone. They also have very good padding on the headband, I doubt discomfort occurs on top of the head.

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #8,507 of 23,366

If I send this as my custom image, will they know to just take the wolf logo?

Can I have different designs for each side?

Is this hi enough res to come out on the shields well?

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #8,508 of 23,366
Quote:
just finished downloading the entire Beatles discography in 320kbps, sounds so good on my m-100s! I guess i'm in the minority here, but i find M-100 to be pretty damn versatile with genres. But anak and many others disagree i guess....i mean yea, they aren't reference headphones they are headphones for listening to music and enjoying it but i find they are enjoyable and detailed with almost any type of music

I think for me, they play many genres very adequately. But some genres don't do as strongly as with other headphones. Jazz, Bossa Nova, and Classical in particular come to mind. But for genres which play well with the M-100, they excel and shine like crazy.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #8,509 of 23,366
yea i don't really listen to jazz and classical music i'll admit, but i listen to rock from 1940-present, rap/hip hop, electronic, motown, techno, acoustic, folk, ect. and i think m-100 handles it all ranging from pretty well to fantastic. my friend's $400 beats pro don't sound nearly as good with rock music for example and my other friends $250 sony headphones(don't remember exact model) don't sound as good with bass heavy music like techno and rap. overall im very happy with M-100 as a portable hi-fi headphone. my only nitpicks so far are slight discomfort with long listening sessions and could have a little better isolation (but than that might affect the soundstage, which as is, is pretty darn good for a closed headphone at this price)

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #8,510 of 23,366
M-100 VS. PRO700MK2ANV

Song Tested With:
DJ Shadow - 'Dat's My Part'
Mr. Scruff - 'Shrimp'
Hot Chip - 'Keep Fallin''
DJ Shadow - 'Walkie Talkie'

Unamped

Now this was pretty interesting. I first listened to the tracks with the M-100's, then switched to the MK2's and WOW are the MK2's more sensitive. Had to click my volume down a few notches.

This was the first instance in which I compared the M-100 with another headphone I own, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but the difference is huge. The MK2 is, first off, waaaaaaay more cramped that the M-100 (although this should go without saying, it was a night/day difference). Strangely enough, the M-100's highs also roll off BEFORE the MK2's. This is a GOOD thing. On the MK2's, the snare drum in a few pieces were piercing and...not the most pleasant. The M-100's highs are sparkly but not piercing. Very easy to listen to, while being clear and not dangerous to your hearing!

Next point, mids; Both cans share a U shape frequency curve. I'd say the MK2's mids were just a tad more recessed than the M-100's. Due to the wider soundstage of the M-100's, however, mids sound much nicer on them (as much as people say it's likely their weakest point).

Next, bass/lows; Um. Are my ears broken? No. Check. Double-check. The M-100 beats the MK2 in bass reproduction; both quantity and quality. No joke. Completely serious. I don't really even know what else to say.

WINNER: M-100 (by a few miles)

Amped w/ DigiZoid ZO2.3

Truth be told, no major differences from what I posted above.

One difference I would make note on is the fact that the MK2's actually lose a bit of detail across the spectrum when amped, and I actually see a larger improvement in the M-100's amped vs. unamped. This may be due to the fact that the MK2's are insanely easy to drive.

Concensus:

Do yourself a huge favor and use Miceblue's paper towel mod, buy a ZO2, and enjoy one of the best portable setups I have ever heard, ever.

P.S. - DigiZoid ZO2 was on High Gain mode, and at Yellow-Green contour (more yellow than green) for all testing.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #8,511 of 23,366
Quote:
I guess i'm in the minority here, but i find M-100 to be pretty damn versatile with genres. But anak and many others disagree i guess....i mean yea, they aren't reference headphones they are headphones for listening to music and enjoying it but i find they are enjoyable and detailed with almost any type of music

If I didn't deem these cans to have a versatile signature I would've already pushed for a refund.  Personally, I find useful range to hinge more on clarity and timbre/texture than absolute tonal balance.  That isn't to say that the M-100 detrimentally misses the latter attribute -- it doesn't in my opinion -- but I've found that it does get the (somewhat) immeasurables correct.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #8,512 of 23,366
Going to try asking again:

How has the M-100 been for gaming? Has anybody tried them yet with movies as well?

And how is the Boom Mic (Boom Pro)? Will the Boom Mic eventually be for sale separately in case I miss out on them as a pre-order bonus? Does it work well? How does that mic compare to an actual headset with ANC microphones? 

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #8,513 of 23,366
Quote:

Amped w/ DigiZoid ZO2.3

The issue I have with the ZO2 is that its case - although quite snazzy in a gaming sort of way - is too plasticky for me. Can anybody recommend a portable amp which has great synergy with the M-100s whilst maintaining a form factor small enough to fit into the exoskeleton, and rugged enough to withstand a good banging?

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #8,514 of 23,366
Quote:
M-100 VS. PRO700MK2ANV

Song Tested With:
DJ Shadow - 'Dat's My Part'
Mr. Scruff - 'Shrimp'
Hot Chip - 'Keep Fallin''
DJ Shadow - 'Walkie Talkie'

Unamped

Now this was pretty interesting. I first listened to the tracks with the M-100's, then switched to the MK2's and WOW are the MK2's more sensitive. Had to click my volume down a few notches.

This was the first instance in which I compared the M-100 with another headphone I own, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but the difference is huge. The MK2 is, first off, waaaaaaay more cramped that the M-100 (although this should go without saying, it was a night/day difference). Strangely enough, the M-100's highs also roll off BEFORE the MK2's. This is a GOOD thing. On the MK2's, the snare drum in a few pieces were piercing and...not the most pleasant. The M-100's highs are sparkly but not piercing. Very easy to listen to, while being clear and not dangerous to your hearing!

Next point, mids; Both cans share a U shape frequency curve. I'd say the MK2's mids were just a tad more recessed than the M-100's. Due to the wider soundstage of the M-100's, however, mids sound much nicer on them (as much as people say it's likely their weakest point).

Next, bass/lows; Um. Are my ears broken? No. Check. Double-check. The M-100 beats the MK2 in bass reproduction; both quantity and quality. No joke. Completely serious. I don't really even know what else to say.

WINNER: M-100 (by a few miles)

Amped w/ DigiZoid ZO2.3

Truth be told, no major differences from what I posted above.

One difference I would make note on is the fact that the MK2's actually lose a bit of detail across the spectrum when amped, and I actually see a larger improvement in the M-100's amped vs. unamped. This may be due to the fact that the MK2's are insanely easy to drive.

Concensus:

Do yourself a huge favor and use Miceblue's paper towel mod, buy a ZO2, and enjoy one of the best portable setups I have ever heard, ever.

P.S. - DigiZoid ZO2 was on High Gain mode, and at Yellow-Green contour (more yellow than green) for all testing.

Thank you for the enlightening comparison.  The only think that confuses me is describing the MK2 highs as piercing since I recall them as a dark headphone.  However, I also remember them as having more impactful bass than the M-100.  If the M-100 has superior bass to the MK2, I have no reason to ever look for another headphone.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #8,515 of 23,366
Quote:

How has the M-100 been for gaming? Has anybody tried them yet with movies as well?

And how is the Boom Mic (Boom Pro)? Will the Boom Mic eventually be for sale separately in case I miss out on them as a pre-order bonus? Does it work well? How does that mic compare to an actual headset with ANC microphones? 

I've only watched one movie with it, Captain America, which had a lot of explosions, It's a good headphone for movies I quite enjoyed the experience.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #8,516 of 23,366
Quote:

Quote:
I've only watched one movie with it, Captain America, which had a lot of explosions, It's a good headphone for movies I quite enjoyed the experience.

Funny. I just watch Iron Man 2 yesterday. I wonder if anyone else out there with M-100's has finished out the rest of the Avengers?

I think they do a great job with movies and t.v. shows. I have watched a few episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and the background station hum is noticeable but not distracting. Action sounds great, as does dialogue.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #8,517 of 23,366
Quote:
Next Post: M-100 vs. Audio-Technica's Pro700MK2ANV (anniversary edition of an infamous basshead can), both amped and unamped.

Looking forward to that post!

EDIT: Just seen you already posted it lol thanks for the insight! I'm currently thinking I'm going to be sending my Pro700Mk2's back because they're so damn uncomfortable so if the M-100 can do the same but more comfortably and with better mids/highs I'm sold, and maybe finally, finally, FINALLY, I will have found my all in one headphone :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #8,518 of 23,366
Quote:

Awesome, thank you for your answer. Has anybody had any experience with the Boom mic yet? Or was that back logged?

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #8,519 of 23,366
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623154/v-moda-m-100-vtf-100-appreciation-thread-images-impressions-reviews/30#post_8660565

Yes the mic will be available separately

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #8,520 of 23,366
Quote:
Really wish I could order these headphones. I'm still getting errors from the order system :frowning2:((((

If not done so already you probably should mail or call customer support. It helps them, and it helps you.

Quote:
Quote:
just finished downloading the entire Beatles discography in 320kbps, sounds so good on my m-100s! I guess i'm in the minority here, but i find M-100 to be pretty damn versatile with genres. But anak and many others disagree i guess....i mean yea, they aren't reference headphones they are headphones for listening to music and enjoying it but i find they are enjoyable and detailed with almost any type of music
Originally Posted by robble /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think for me, they play many genres very adequately. But some genres don't do as strongly as with other headphones. Jazz, Bossa Nova, and Classical in particular come to mind. But for genres which play well with the M-100, they excel and shine like crazy.

Robble hit the nail on the head from my perspective (and my personal sonic choices). Yes for the Jazz (mainly 50's/60's West Coast), Bossanova & Classical, I personally feel that the M-100 may not necessarily yield an accurate presentation (but that's not to say that the result is boring, or dull). The thing is though, the reference headphones of my choice (that's closed and isolating for use outdoors or in events) are at least 2.5x the cost of the M-100 so it's not really a fair comparison.

Having said all that, this past weekend I was a complete hypocrite :wink:. I was parading around with my M-100s in the e-earphone festival using them as the reference headphones testing amps, DACs, and even against other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back