V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 21, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #8,416 of 23,366
Quote:

Also, since I'm getting into headphones (especially over-ear headphones) can anyone explain the benefits and process of "amping" headphones? What is the purpose? Is it easy to do? Does it effect the headphones that much? Is it expensive? 

The reason I ask is cuz someone put this in the thread:When unamped it's passable but when amped this can shines noticeably. When unamped soundstage sounds compressed mids especially guitars seem blurred and bass loses extension. This can loves it when you throw some extra juice at it and accordingly it should be accommodated. 

Thank you for all your help guys! I appreciate your guys' opinions and answers!
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
beyersmile.png
cool.gif
darthsmile.gif

That was me
bigsmile_face.gif

To my ears when I plug my M-100 into my iPod Touch 3rd gen the soundstage shrinks meaning the sound sounds like it's more in your head. End result everything becomes more compressed together and blurred. When I amp with my RX MK II the presentation expands and instrumentation becomes more pin point clear in it's placement in the soundstage. When I amp with my UHA-4 the soundstage decreases a little more but everything is still quite clear.. Matter of fact I'm getting a very small touch of more rumble with the UHA-4 due to the op amp I'm using. When I run it straight through my Studio V which has a better built in DAC and amp then say an iPod I'm getting a small touch more treble due to the player having more extended highs that are more slightly forward when compared to an iPod whose treble is more smooth. When I plug my M-100 directly into my laptop it sounds better then through my iPod but still not as good as any of my amps. Of coarse YMMV, others have commented they're happy with their M-100's unamped which is perfectly fine. If you decide to buy an M-100 and upon listening to it you decide it works for you without an amp then run with that idea and enjoy. In the end it's your ears that matter after all not mine or anyone else's.

P.S.
Below are some pics of one of my mobile rigs and as you can see it's actually quite compact. Below we have my iPod 3rd gen 64 gb and my Leckerton UHA-4 amp which amps my Westone 4 IEM's. Mating them together is a Fiio L9 line out dock. The rig is held together using 3M Dual Lock which is taped onto each piece. Feel free to click on the pics if you want a closer look

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #8,417 of 23,366
Quote:

Okay, wrote a quick message in to V-MODA Service about the pad mixup, and this is their response.

So - Val. 

Do you know what is going to happen for those of us who were lucky enough to get extra pads, but unlucky enough for them to be LP pads? What is the situation with the bigger, thicker pads? Both designs I have in mind need white pads, both my current black shields, and the blue shields I have in mind. Any word on this is appreciated.

We are making more white/grey/black M-100 ear cushions and developing alternative sized ear cushions for M-100, including Velour.  The first part is easy, but the new size cushions/velour options I need your help.  Because for me, the current configuration is perfect.  I need 3-5 people to help me test alternatives who own M-100s, Joe from Engadget is 1.  Who else is in?  I'll send prototype cushions.

Quote:
Hey guys,
So for this newest M-100 pre-order that states that the product will ship "within 60 days", is there a good chance that they'll be sent out early? As in <30 days?

I'd really like to purchase a pair, but I'm not sure if it would be more time (and cost)-effective to wait for the Amazon release.

45-60 is realistic, I'll countdown once things get clearer.

Quote:
Ok, so I want to order the matte black headphones, but with the brushed metal shield like on the picture of the shadow version. Does anyone know what that is called? I couldn't see anything like it on the list of custom shields...

We don't have shadow's brushed metal shields as a second set yet, we are trying but it may be a while.  The shields take FOREVER to make as the reject rate is high.  Anodizing aluminum as Apple has seen is a painful process to get PERFECT.  

Think about it, you have wheels that are chrome on your car.  Look at it closely, there are imperfections on almost ALL wheels in little bumps.  Yet they accept it as it is a big canvas and we cannot as we have a small canvas.  So Apple and I are in the same "anodized aluminum" dilemma.  Perfection is only achieved with ~20-30% failures and it decreases over time.

Quote:

They're having a shortage of those shields so they're not available for purchase.

Quote:
I feel you on that. I'm still having trouble deciding between matte or shadow. Wish I could see them in person. 

Quote:
I think the shadows look like a tackier version of the matte. Not to disparage anyone, but that's just my opinion. I think the matte are even sexier than my whites because the whites unfortunately have a bit of cheap-looking shiny plastic in the construction which looks odd compared to the actual metal.

They are each unique.  Personally over time my favorite is Matte Black esp w Orange cable, for DJIng White Silver.  We voted on V-MODA.com and Shadow won, but all three amazing in their own right IMO.

Quote:
Plain and simple. Matte Black is slick, Matte Black is Sexy, Matte Black is unbelievably hard to beat. People - I swear to you, will kill themselves to try and get a pair of Matte Black's. My Crossfade LP2s in Matte do quite a good job at getting female attention :) White ones look like typical tacky (no offense here!) junkie headphones you see 18 year old dweebuses that dropped out of high school wearing (I'm sure people could pull another look off though lol). 

This is just my opinion, don't judge me, I just see that stereotype from that color :frowning2:

Oui.
Quote:
I know this is off topic but man Japanese women are cute
bigsmile_face.gif

YES - SO IS NERVO, i think they'll be on Cosmo cover soon w our products!  

Liv and I:

Quote:

I don't know about the black pads being the only "real" pads, but I did get this response from service about the issue:

... As such - we don't know what will happen to those who got unusable pads, when the M-100 pads will be available, or when the 'bigger, thicker' M-100 pads will be available, or if they are even still happening. We still need Val to comment on all of this. 

I do know that I would trade both my current sets of pads (LP2 White + M-100 Grey) for a nice set of thicker white M-100 pads in a heartbeat though... I need white pads to finish off the designs I have in mind.

You can get LP/LP2 white pads I believe, but we ordered M-100 white pads.  But we don't know delivery quite yet.  Things take 60-90 days from request!  But we LISTEN and do it for you.
Quote:
Then I think the same thing about the "white" pads will apply to the "gray" ones as current pre-order M100 page DOES NOT let you pick the ear pad...
Hmmm... wrote to V-Moda support.
I don't think Val might get to this as fast (methinks)

Thanks for your response,

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #8,418 of 23,366
We are making more white/grey/black M-100 ear cushions and developing alternative sized ear cushions for M-100, including Velour.  The first part is easy, but the new size cushions/velour options I need your help.  Because for me, the current configuration is perfect.  I need 3-5 people to help me test alternatives who own M-100s, Joe from Engadget is 1.  Who else is in?  I'll send prototype cushions.

I would be interested in testing alternatives. You should probably prioritize the larger earpads to testers who have comfort issues with the current M-100 earpads, but I would be interested in testing the velour pads for how they affect the overall sound and isolation (velour tends to decrease the bass response, open up the mids and have less isolation).

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #8,419 of 23,366
I say considering he doesn't have the proper fitting pads you give poor BRSxIgnition a spot as a tester. Who knows he might like the new pad options

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #8,420 of 23,366
I need your help.  Because for me, the current configuration is perfect.  I need 3-5 people to help me test alternatives who own M-100s, Joe from Engadget is 1.  Who else is in?  I'll send prototype cushions.

Val, I'd be happy to help test any of the larger pads, but I may not be able to pick up on any very minor sonic differences, if there are any. From the comfort side though, I have ears that are probably a bit on the larger side and was very uncomfortable at first. I have since reduced the clamping pressure and stuffed a napkin under each coushion. It has helped tremendously, but still isn't a 100% solution.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #8,421 of 23,366
Quote:

45-60 is realistic, I'll countdown once things get clearer.

PLEASE let me in on this. The only reason I haven't sold off my HD598s is because the pads are killing my ears after an hour or two on my head. I know I shouldn't be listening to music for that long but I do some listening to other stuff on decently low volumes like making videos and whatnot and the M-100 is not working for me in that aspect. The HD598s are ear pillows and I want the same experience for the M-100 because I love it more than my HD598s now. If these pads work, my ears will be forever grateful and so will I.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #8,422 of 23,366
Quote:

I'd love to test the different sizes of ear cushions, my ears are quite large and stick out of the sides of the pads, pressing on the cartilage and over time - long long hours - the lack of depth in the cups hurts me. That said, I'm not so sure about the velour, I think the material is perfect as it is. 

I use my headphones mainly for production/mixing/sound design. Sound design with the M-100s is just AHHH so good. Detailed. Bass.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #8,424 of 23,366
Quote:

I would welcome the opportunity to be included as the only thing I would change about the M-100 is the size of the stock pads.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #8,425 of 23,366
So, I'm tempted to get the M-100, but I probably won't be able to until the holidays. I've already read all the impressions, and I'm very eager to grab a set and potentially retire my LP2, which I -love- a lot. One of the reasons why I love my LP2 a lot is because it works out amazingly for gaming, etc. (Skyrim, Borderlands 2, etc.)

How has the M-100 been for gaming? Has anybody tried them yet with movies as well?

And how is the Boom Mic (Boom Pro)? Will the Boom Mic eventually be for sale separately in case I miss out on them as a pre-order bonus? Does it work well? How does that mic compare to an actual headset with ANC microphones? 

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #8,427 of 23,366
Velours will be interesting because in my experience they change the sound signature quite a bit. Hopefully they will be like the HE400 velours and bring the mids forward a bit.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #8,429 of 23,366
Quote:

I'm ELATED to read this.  To provide 100% transparency, comfort is the one attribute that has caused me to go (mostly) dark with posting impressions this weekend as I do not wish to hastily condemn the M-100.  For me personally, increased width and height would be appreciated as I can feel the pads touching my helix and/or lobule in one or more places.  However, that's a mere annoyance compared to the painful chafing that I've experienced on my antihelix as a result of insufficient depth.  Compound all of it with the ever-present clamping and...

The sound quality is wonderful.  The comfort, in stock configuration, has moved closer to attaining deal-breaker status as I accrue listening hours.

-I've flexed the headband outward to relieve clamping pressure.  They still stay in place and the seal hasn't been compromised, but my ears still touch the inner webbing.

-I've attempted to stuff rolled up tissues underneath the lip of the pads in strategic areas. (ie. the top and rear)  I found this made the pads feel too stiff, so I tried cotton.  The same result... and my ears still bottomed out.

-Although discouraged, I carefully pulled the pads off to see exactly what I was working with.  I'd agree that these should not be removed often, but if one is patient enough the structure of the plastic skeleton will not be compromised.  The tab system that keeps these pads in place coupled with the unique shape, I've concluded, leaves little -- if any -- alternative options.

+The quality of the pleather used is excellent!  It may very well be the best feeling/looking synthetic I've experienced on a headphone.  Velour would be a welcome option, but if it affects isolation it may very well impact the (already excellent) SQ.  Then again, this is why team-V is beta-testing.

I would like to formally submit my interest for alternative-pad testing candidacy. (for larger size/depth in particular)  Whether granted the opportunity or not, just knowing that there are alternative options being sought is incredibly assuring.

Thank you to Val and Co. for taking the feedback of your user base into consideration.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #8,430 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton 

So it means then that the wrong ear pads were shipped with the M100s? Is the company planning on selling (at a reduced price maybe :wink:) new M100 pads to those who got LP2 pads (such as BRSxIgnition_)

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back