V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #8,431 of 23,366
Quote:

-I've attempted to stuff rolled up tissues underneath the lip of the pads in strategic areas. (ie. the top and rear)  I found this made the pads feel too stiff, so I tried cotton.  The same result... and my ears still bottomed out.

Weird, did you try put extra paddening around the whole pad? I've used kitchen papertowel that I've stuffed underneath the pads on many headphones where my ear would touch the driver casing and slowly but surely build up discomfort and it helped GREATLY in all cases I've tested. Altough you must be careful to not make the cups deeper than necessary this way or you will affect the sound signature too (from my experience the further away the driver gets from the ear the more distant mids) altough the M100 drivers have holes underneath which tends to increase highs so stuffing a very thin layer underneath the pads might even help to bring mids more forward by covering the holes on the underside of the pads (you take away from one area, the other gets more forward-sounding in comparision) and this was also the case if for example applying a thin layer under the Q40 pads, the mids came very slightly forward as a result from the holes on the underside of the pad getting covered up, this would be the very first thing I'd test when getting a M100 in case I felt the mids could be slightly more forward.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #8,433 of 23,366
I say considering he doesn't have the proper fitting pads you give poor BRSxIgnition a spot as a tester. Who knows he might like the new pad options

Thank you Val, and you DigitalFreak.

Is possible, I would love to test the prototype pads Val. Regular M-100 white or the Thick M-100 white would be amazing. The thicker pads are already sounding great to me. I understand if you want to send them to other people though...

Either way, I'd be honoured if I could help with the testing. Let me know Val. Once again, thanks so much.

So it means then that the wrong ear pads were shipped with the M100s? Is the company planning on selling (at a reduced price maybe :wink:) new M100 pads to those who got LP2 pads (such as BRSxIgnition_)

Thanks.
Ahaha, thank you Gelocks. I'm actually in line at the clinic right now to get my ears checked, thank god there's wifi so I could check for Val's response.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #8,434 of 23,366
Velours will be interesting because in my experience they change the sound signature quite a bit. Hopefully they will be like the HE400 velours and bring the mids forward a bit.

Yeah I've noticed that too. The density and material used inside of the velour pads also affects the sound and comfort level. Does anyone remember those super comfy gel-filled velour pads offered by Beyerdynamic? :wink:

Weird, did you try put extra paddening around the whole pad? I've used kitchen papertowel that I've stuffed underneath the pads on many headphones where my ear would touch the driver casing and slowly but surely build up discomfort and it helped GREATLY in all cases I've tested. Altough you must be careful to not make the cups deeper than necessary this way or you will affect the sound signature too (from my experience the further away the driver gets from the ear the more distant mids) altough the M100 drivers have holes underneath which tends to increase highs so stuffing a very thin layer underneath the pads might even help to bring mids more forward by covering the holes on the underside of the pads (you take away from one area, the other gets more forward-sounding in comparision) and this was also the case if for example applying a thin layer under the Q40 pads, the mids came very slightly forward as a result from the holes on the underside of the pad getting covered up, this would be the very first thing I'd test when getting a M100 in case I felt the mids could be slightly more forward.

Interesting, I'll have to try this out. I did a similar mod for the SRH940 and it did in fact affect the sound quite a bit (highs became less sharp, and isolation was better since the earpads fit better to my head).

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #8,435 of 23,366
Quote:
Interesting, I'll have to try this out. I did a similar mod for the SRH940 and it did in fact affect the sound quite a bit (highs became less sharp, and isolation was better since the earpads fit better to my head).

For what it's worth, adding additional "stuffing" under the lip of the pads did not yield any conclusive audible changes in my testing.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #8,437 of 23,366
From personal impressions of posters on this forum with M-100's, I honestly believe that the following should get the proto-pads:

• Craigster75
  • Curly21029
  • Leon Dota
  • Anakchan
  •  . . . Me? 
    wink.gif

I would LOVE to be in the group to get new pads, but I understand if you deem that I am not the best to test them. I know for a fact I would not be able to test them to the extent of the posters listed above, but I would absolutely love to include them in my review. I'd be honored to be included in the pad testing, if possible.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #8,438 of 23,366
So just out of curiosity, what would most of you head fiers rate the m-100 out of 10? (Trying to keep it simple lol) I just pre-ordered a pair 5 minutes ago after deliberating FOREVER. I really didn't know what to chose between the Momentum or the M-100. To be honest, I'm still not sure I made the right choice. Hopefully I did.

In the last 2 months I've purchased and returned quite a few headphones (Fidelio L1, Amperior, P5) I've got my fingers crossed that these will be what i've been looking for. I'd love your feedback on these in comparison to the Momentum.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #8,439 of 23,366
We are making more white/grey/black M-100 ear cushions and developing alternative sized ear cushions for M-100, including Velour.  The first part is easy, but the new size cushions/velour options I need your help.  Because for me, the current configuration is perfect.  I need 3-5 people to help me test alternatives who own M-100s, Joe from Engadget is 1.  Who else is in?  I'll send prototype cushions.

I experience some discomfort from the shallow ear pads and would be willing to test larger pads for you Val.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #8,440 of 23,366
Quote:

We are making more white/grey/black M-100 ear cushions and developing alternative sized ear cushions for M-100, including Velour.  The first part is easy, but the new size cushions/velour options I need your help.  Because for me, the current configuration is perfect.  I need 3-5 people to help me test alternatives who own M-100s, Joe from Engadget is 1.  Who else is in?  I'll send prototype cushions.

45-60 is realistic, I'll countdown once things get clearer.

Hey Val. I am about to put my M-100 through pre-order processing.
After reading this post, and the numerous complaints about the comfort level of the M-100s-- I am curious as to which pads are being sent with the 2nd batch of pre-orders? Are you sending the uncomfortable ones, or the more comfortable ones?
I do understand that people are doing mods with Tissue, etc. to make their M-100s fit comfortably; however, I prefer not to have to mod something I'm paying a lot for.
Thanks & Look forward to your reply!

Edit: Also, just an idea here, but if most people having problems with comfort are all having similar issues that can be fixed by tissue under the cushions-- then it sounds to me like there isn't enough cushioning in the top where the weight of the headphones drop down onto your ears. Some people may already be use to that. Perhaps try other alternatives to mod the current pads, like foam/cotton circular rings or something soft to line it? Just a thought, as I'm not sure what the exact problem is (ears too big?).

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #8,441 of 23,366
I would really like the velour pad option, it's much more comfortable than leather, when I use the m80 after a long 3 hour session they start to hurt, I think because of the pressure they make on the ear, It's so much I have to take them off. It would be nice a velour option for the m80.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #8,444 of 23,366
I really hope my M-100's show up early this week. I haven't even got mine and all of you are talking about modding them already. I don't even know if they fit me! I love living where I do, but postage to here is ridiculous!

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #8,445 of 23,366
Quote:

For what it's worth, adding additional "stuffing" under the lip of the pads did not yield any conclusive audible changes in my testing.

Actually...for me it makes a pretty substantial difference.

Sound
  1. The bass is reduced in quantity, making it sound more balanced with the rest of the audio spectrum
  2. The midrange is more forward and details are clearer to hear
  3. The highs are much easier to hear (in particular the cymbals, which is the one main area of the unmodded M-100 that I think could have been improved; they are muuuuch better defined with the mod and they still remain not sibilant to my ears)
  4. Surprisingly the soundstage seems to have gotten wider too. It sounds much more spacious with the mod. This soundstage can rival the SRH940 in my A/B comparison on my MacBook + Audirvana Plus + FiiO E7 setup (it's still not as wide, but it's much wider and deeper than the unmodded M-100)

Headphone:
  1. As for fit, yes the pads are stiffer, but my ears no longer touch the driver enclosure as much, so it's more comfortable as a whole.

Test tracks:
Joanna Wang - Lost In Paradise (the vocals are brought more forward and sound a little clearer)
Battles - Futura (the bass pedal isn't emphasised as much, but the punch is still there, so the cymbals are easier to hear; drummer-mode is activated! :)) )
Cloudkicker - Amy I Love You (same result as ^)
Ottmar Liebert - Snakecharmer (the guitar seems more up-front)
Massive Attack - Teardrop (the bass isn't as prominent, but it sounds more balanced to me; the "ssss" vocals are still sharp as before probably due to the recording, but they are again not ear-grating like they were on the SRH940)

I've been switching from modded to unmodded and the sound difference is very clear to me.
...I am actually really liking this earpad mod. The best thing about it is that it's completely reversible and is easy to do.
With this mod, I am actually liking the M-100 a LOT more than the SRH940 for overall sound. I cannot emphasise enough how much more I'm liking the modded M-100 over the SRH940. My how the tides have turned for me.

How I did the mod

Paper towel info:
Brand: Up & Up (I think this is Target's house brand)
Size: 11 in (27.94 cm) X 10.4 in (26.416 cm)
Layering 2-ply

• I took the paper towel and folded it into fourths
  • Using one of the fourths, cut it in half
  • Fold each of these so that you are left with 2 long strips (see second photo)
  • I used one of these pieces in each earcup
  • Repeat steps 2-3
  • Cut one of these pieces in half so you have 2 shorter pieces
  • Use one of those pieces in each earcup (so each earcup has 1.5 of the long strips). In the top photo, that smaller piece is the other half of a fourth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back