V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #7,996 of 23,366
Quote:
No offense in the least and I hope you didn't interpret a trace of sarcasm in my post.  I recognize I am still relatively new to this hobby and know nothing about sound engineering.  As such, I am highly receptive to soaking up information like a sponge from those with much more experience than me.  Based on your feedback as well as AnakChan's, I am finding superior imaging with the M-100.

Not at all, Craigster -- it was I who thought I might have sounded dismissive even though I didn't mean to be. 

Even when we have nothing but respect for the person we're addressing, tone in writing can be an elusive and recalcitrant thing.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #7,997 of 23,366
Quote:
Oh yes I caught that quite early on :D.

Conversely: 

Though I do enjoy writing formal reviews, they often lack the breathless energy, the pivot-points of sudden insight -- those flurries of revelation in transit -- which flow so easily in musical diary entries. Sometimes it's exhilarating to watch the chrysalis of opinion change into something airborne and chromatic before becoming fixed.  (I'm a hulking Ovid fan, if you hadn't gathered as much.)

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #7,999 of 23,366
Just thought I should throw this out there:

My bass seems to have disappeared almost completely after switching to my white pads - since they didn't come installed already. I listened to a few songs before switching, and the bass was almost rumbling, and after switching, as I listened to them with the white pads trying to fall asleep, I noticed the bass was noticeably lighter. I'll check the same songs and see if the bass has changed at all.. 

This worries me, as I've only ever changed the pads once, and I don't want to damage them more by changing them again.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #8,000 of 23,366
Quote:

My bass seems to have disappeared almost completely after switching to my white pads - since they didn't come installed already. I listened to a few songs before switching, and the bass was almost rumbling, and after switching, as I listened to them with the white pads trying to fall asleep, I noticed the bass was noticeably lighter. I'll check the same songs and see if the bass has changed at all.. 

This worries me, as I've only ever changed the pads once, and I don't want to damage them more by changing them again.

I wonder if the lp2 ear pads are truly plug and play compatible.  Val has said there are no spare parts for the M-100 right now, so you might have gotten lp2 pads that are similar, but not the same...just a thought.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #8,001 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The surprising aspect of the sound so far is not the lows but the highs. 

I'm actively avoiding the opportunity to post specific sonic impressions until the weekend at earliest, but treble reproduction is not what I had originally anticipated.  Of course, that isn't to say that it hasn't proven itself an asset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still trying to decide what to think about the representation of low and muted instruments.  What I will say is that the M-100s can make you very conscious -- possibly too conscious -- of their sig when the music contains natural acoustic lows.

In my time with the M-100, this had been my greatest concern.  Through driver/brain burn-in and a migration to Audirvana's superbly nuanced Direct mode, however, this discontent has waned considerably. (hence my string of zealously-stated posts from last night)

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #8,003 of 23,366
Quote:

Changing headphone pads is all about getting a good seal...if there is a slight gap all the bass will be lost

Make sure the pads are fitted correctly and the bass should return! 

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #8,004 of 23,366
Quote:
Changing headphone pads is all about getting a good seal...if there is a slight gap all the bass will be lost

Make sure the pads are fitted correctly and the bass should return! 

That's what I'm worried about though. If I change them too many times, the seal will wear down from me doing so - invalidating what I'm trying to do in the first place. I'll try though.

EDIT: Managed to do it fine. Here's a tip for EVERYONE: Make sure that the 'leather' for the pad plastic is also fully under each prong, and that the edge of the pad plastic is at the edge of the cup as well. ANY small cracks will cause less bass. It's hard to explain, but make sure that edge meats edge, and prongs fully clip over the pad edge on all sides. Use a thin blunt object like a butter knife to make sure of the latter.

I really hope this helps - and as Val said, I don't recommend switching the pads often at all. It doesn't damage the prongs, but the pads themselves get a bit worn down with each removal/application.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #8,005 of 23,366
So has anyone tried out their M100s with different types of amps yet?  I'm wondering if they'll be similar to the (also bassy) D2000s in generally not playing nicely with tube amps.  With a somewhat coloured sound, I suppose they'll pair better with neutral solid state gear, but I'm just guessing here.

Still waiting for mine to ship...  hoping to get a notification today...

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #8,006 of 23,366
Quote:
So has anyone tried out their M100s with different types of amps yet?  I'm wondering if they'll be similar to the (also bassy) D2000s in generally not playing nicely with tube amps.  With a somewhat coloured sound, I suppose they'll pair better with neutral solid state gear, but I'm just guessing here.

Still waiting for mine to ship...  hoping to get a notification today...

Actually that's one thing that's missing in my review. I've -only- still used my M-100 amped - either through the VAmp, Fostex HP-A8 (desktop) & briefly through my Accuphase E-407 (speaker integrated amp). I should really try it un-amped and put down the differences.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #8,007 of 23,366
Gonna throw down an impressions post because I can.

Some albums listened to thus far w/ M-100's (all albums 320kbps or flac)
Mумий Tролль - Необыкновенный Kонцерт B Гостином Дворе, 25.11.2000 (Russian Alt. Rock)

Legendary live album in the Russian rock scene. The vocals make me want to melt, as does the bass guitar. This shows off the beautiful mids and that 'purring' bass of the M-100's.The guitars are rich and detailed. Every note from the drums is clear and separated well. The few saxophone solos throughout the album gave me cold chills. The soundstage is as advertised: impressive. A transcending experience with the M-100's, overall.

Boyz Noise - Oi Oi Oi (Nu-Disco/Indie Electro)
This album always came off as a bit dark to me, even with the M-100. Regardless, it was a fun listen. A few spots in the album (particularly on 'The Battery') show off the bass spectrum, all the way from deep sub-bass to pretty dang high mid-bass. This album was a purr-fest for the cans.

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (Industrial Alt. Electronica)

A wonderful album to begin with, the M-100's brought out the best of Trent Reznor. His masterful use of composition and mixing really comes out on these cans. The separation is more impressive than most any other electronic artist I've heard thus far on the M-100's. Many moments of those brilliant highs everyone's talking about. Very crisp with a nice roll-off as not to be piercing. I'll likely elaborate more in a full review, but new light has been shed on me for this album.

Tool - 10,000 Days (Progressive Hard Rock)

Another brilliant album for the M-100's. Being progressive and rather complex at times, instrument separation and soundstage is a key factor in Tool's music. Everything from the individuals plucks of guitar stings to each drum of Danny Carey's huge kit was clear, and the distortion of the guitars during heavier segments was just drops of gold in my ears. That is to say, the mids are beautiful beyond my expectations.

I wish I could listen to these puppies all day, but I also take heed to the advice of not using headphones excessively. I'm writing notes for a full review in a week or so.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #8,008 of 23,366
I have to say - after fixing the pads and bringing back the bigger bass - does it tighten up after a while? I've burned it in all last night, as well as this morning, but I'm not used to bass this... "wide". 

It certainly hits harder than my old M50's, but it also feels like it muddies the mids a bit - is it like that for anyone else? Or is that just from my cold & blocked ears?

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #8,009 of 23,366
Quote:
Adding to my pad problem: I can't even test it properly right now, because my ears feel blocked due to my cold. Anyone know how to get rid of this feeling? It wont go away even if I yawn like normal.

Same as when your ears clog on a plane- hold you nose, close your mouth and try to push air through your mouth with your cheeks puffed out.  The air has nowhere to go but your ears and you should hear them clear.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #8,010 of 23,366
Quote:
I have to say - after fixing the pads and bringing back the bigger bass - does it tighten up after a while? I've burned it in all last night, as well as this morning, but I'm not used to bass this... "wide". 

It certainly hits harder than my old M50's, but it also feels like it muddies the mids a bit - is it like that for anyone else? Or is that just from my cold & blocked ears?

Something doesn't sound right, literally and figuratively. M-100 has the tightest bass I ever heard.  In fact, with some music, I would prefer it looser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back