V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #7,726 of 23,366
Decided to finally post something, hopefully I can change my avatar after a few posts.

My initial first impressions from a humble noob:
Been a long time lurker following this thread very closely since march. Never felt I would add much to the thread so I've just been satisfied reading and learning from everyone here. The headphones that gave me a started me on this downward spiral of audophile headphones were the Grado SR60i's. Still have them and love them. Though I couldn't use them at work because of the leakage so in my search for some closed back headphones providing some isolation, I came across this thread. When I noticed that they were not going to be out for a long while, I bought the m80 shadows. Since then I also picked up the underwhelming Focal Spirit One in addition to pre-ordering the m100's first day. So those are the headphones I will naturally be sizing them up to.

Similar to what Tus-Chan said, I was really excited today because I noticed my order status switched to shipped so I was nearly floored when I saw them waiting for me after I came home from work. I got the white ones with matte black custom shields and white pads...they're a thing of beauty, they really are. I do not notice any of the cosmetic flaws others have reported on here. The white earpads came separate but after some unsuccessful tries of taking the grey stock ones off I didn't want to force it so I've left them on for now. Putting them on they are actually really comfortable. Less clamping force than the spirit one's, however as others have mentioned the earpads are not very deep so my ears slightly hit the metal inside the cup. I also have very big ears so the pads don't cover them completely but the cushion is soft so I don't feel much discomfort; I've learned to live with it, my fault for having big ears I guess :)

I don't feel I'm qualified enough to give the m100 the review on sq it deserves so I won't further pollute this thread with uneducated feedback on the sound. I'll just end with my first experience of trying them on.

So after some time of admiring them, I finally built up the courage to put them on and listen to my music as I still had some trepidation from waiting for them for sooo long and then suddenly holding them in my hands. I plugged them in using the cable with the shareplay plug and right away noticed something was off. Sound was only coming out of one cup and it sounded very distant. I even switched the plug to the other cup. Then I realized, from my own stupidity, that I plugged in the wrong end of the cable to the earcup.
tongue.gif
I plugged in the cable correctly and all I can say is WOW.. the bass..just WOW. My new favorites by a longshot.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #7,727 of 23,366
Oct 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #7,728 of 23,366
Oct 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #7,729 of 23,366
Oct 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #7,730 of 23,366
Come on now guys, whoever put that listing up was probably just creating a troll listing for giggles. What would be hilarious is if there was a dim bulb out there who would actually buy the headphone for that price.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #7,732 of 23,366
Looking forward to the general release of the m-100.  Was going to buy the m-80 but will hold out.  I actually just bought the ATH-M50 which is great - any of you guys with the m-100 + M50 - would you say it's worth getting the m-100 if you already have the m50? is it that much of a step up in quality?

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #7,734 of 23,366
Quote:
Can someone compare the soundstage of the M-100 with a HD598, using this:

First off, sorry for the double post, but I had a bit of time to test this.

I also own the HD 598's and thought I would give it a shot. I tested first with the M-100, and then with the 598.

Both performed exceptionally well. The 598 provided better clarity and sense of space, however, I felt that the smaller (yet still spacious) soundstage of the M-100 captured the feel of a small room like the one used above more realistically. I believe this just may be situational because of the space they used and the signature of the M-100. The M-100 also had the bonus of those really really satisfying low reverberations, especially in the bit after he says 'Alteration.'

Conclusion: The 598 has a larger and clearer soundstage, but the M100 was the can that made me melt in my chair with a smile on my face with the sounds of the video. A very good comparison.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #7,735 of 23,366
Nice review. Mids are very important to me and why I favor Sennheisers. I will need to hear these, but sadly, pulled back/recessed/less emphasized mids are becoming the standard for a lot of phones. It must cost a lot of money to R&D realistic mids.

Originally Posted by Craigster75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Everything is relative, compared to lower end Ultrasones and Beyers I have heard, I consider M-100 mids to be forward.

Craig is right that it's relative to headphones experienced. But I'd also further extend that to say secondly it's personal sensitivity to frequencies, and thirdly sonic preferences. I truly believe capability various people hear differently as each person's hearing is sensitive to some frequencies more than others. Thereafter, there's also what one prefers. IMHO, the M-80s have more mids than the M-100s for example.

A few Tokyo Head-fiers had a meet today and here are the most of the headphones we listened today (order does not signify preferences) :-

Top->Bottom, Left->Right: PSB M4U2, V-Moda M-100, Sony MDR-1RBT, Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R, Sony MDR-1RNC (or 1R in black?), Sennheiser HD-25ii.

Out of 4xTokyo Head-Fiers the M-100s was the clear winner out of the lot.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #7,736 of 23,366
Craig is right that it's relative to headphones experienced. But I'd also further extend that to say secondly it's personal sensitivity to frequencies, and thirdly sonic preferences. I truly believe capability various people hear differently as each person's hearing is sensitive to some frequencies more than others. Thereafter, there's also what one prefers. IMHO, the M-80s have more mids than the M-100s for example.

A few Tokyo Head-fiers had a meet today and here are the most of the headphones we listened today (order does not signify preferences) :-

Top->Bottom, Left->Right: PSB M4U2, V-Moda M-100, Sony MDR-1RBT, Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R, Sony MDR-1RNC (or 1R in black?), Sennheiser HD-25ii.

Out of 4xTokyo Head-Fiers the M-100s was the clear winner out of the lot.

Hae~ hontou desu ka?
^ expression of awe~ really?
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/3PXPqjLkmrg?t=25s[/VIDEO]

This is so satisfying to hear. Thank your for the comparisons AnakChan and others. The Sony MDR-1R was my second choice in the "mid-fi headphone war".
OK, now I'm REALLY stoked to hearing the M-100, er...today, (tracking number says they're in a city close to me). I'm going to go to my classes in the morning, and as soon as I'm done, immediately go home to open them up. It's like Christmas in October!

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #7,739 of 23,366

Originally posted 7/4/12 in The Diaries Of A Little Girl Nearing 30! thread

I just came back from the Apple Store in a last ditch effort to save my Classic from entering Silicon Heaven. According to the hipster in a blue t-shirt, of whom I didn't like to much attitude wise (more on that in a minute), the Classic is probably not going to make it and will probably not be worth sending in to fix. Usually what they do is wipe the HDD like I did and run it through some diagnostic tests. Considering I already wiped it there's probably not much they can do except trade it in for another model. According to the serial number on my Classic it's a model manufactured in 2005 therefore the best I could hope for if I chose to trade it in would be to get a 50 dollar discount if I choose to buy a new one. Not bad I guess 50 bones saved is 50 bones saved after all.

This next part is all about why I don't like hipster wannabe kids and their lack of class. After I got the said information above I began to ask questions about the current Classic and if it had the same DAC and headphone out setup as mine. The blue t-shirt hipster replied with statements such as whats a DAC and why worry about what kind of headphone jack it utilized? In his mind a headphone plug was a headphone plug why worry about it. Yeah OK sure whatever. He next asked if I would consider moving up in the Apple mobile MP3 player chain by buying a iPod Touch. I then responded I already had an iPod Touch and pulled it out of my pocket to show him. Attached to my Touch as always was my Leckerton UHA-4 amp and wound around the rig was my j-Phonic K2 sp IEM's. Upon seeing my amp he then said "Well I see you're using an external battery so your Touch battery must be starting to go. A new Touch would solve the problem and you could stop walking around with such a brick in your pocket." I then informed him the UHA-4 wasn't a external battery and that it was an external amp. He then gives me a puzzled looked and asks why I would want to walk around with an external amp when my Touch doesn't need one. I then reply because the external amp makes my gear sound a lot better then my Touch ever could. Thus far I'm not offended by the guys attitude but the next part did offend me due to the individuals smug attitude.

He then rolls his eyes at me and with the stupidest grin I've ever seen he responds and I quote " An iPod is the best sounding MP3 device on the market you really don't need an amp. I know there's a lot of MP3 players out on the market like Sanza Sony and Samsung that sound like crap but our iPods all put them to shame in the sound category." I looked at him rather bemused at first and responded that I had 3 different amps I used with my iPods and they all made my music sound far better then just a lone iPod. I then said that although I liked iPods, and still do I may add, I didn't think they sounded that great and that the internal amp on any iPod was cheap and couldn't push good sounding headphones to their maximum potential. His response....he rolled his eyes at me and replied " Sir I'm an Apple Associate I was hired into this position because I know tech better then the average person. Any iPod you buy from us will give you great high fidelity sound. I personally own a iPod Shuffle and a Touch and I use them with my Beats headphone all the time and they sound awesome. I get a great audiophile quality neutral sound when I use my iPods with my Beats. Maybe what you should do is stop spending your money on external amps and look into quality sounding headphones. Quality sounding headphones really make a huge difference when listening to music.

............................................ (FACE PALM) I think I just died a little inside.

I looked at the guy and replied "I'll come back some other time thanks for the advice." He then responded " No problem sir, please give what I said some thought. Come see me again and I'll show you some of our Beats or Bower and Wilkins headphones. You'll be amazed how they sound they'll put those earbuds you're using to shame." My response,"Thanks kid but as a rule I only take advice on audio from someone who knows what a DAC is and my earbuds aren't earbuds they're called IEM's and they're only sold in Japan and cost MSRP 400 dollars. Thanks for your help but I think I'll just see someone else when I come back. Good day."

Why do I always seem to run across the dullards in life?

Originally posted 7/13/12 in The Diaries Of A Little Girl Nearing 30! thread

I was at the mall today doing some shopping and ran face first into of all people the blue shirted Apple Store hipster dude who I talked to at the Apple store about my iPod Classic. I first noticed him in when I was in a lineup waiting to pay for some items. I was in one lineup and he was in another lineup two cash registers over. He was with a girl who looked alot like the chick from Buffy The Vampire Slayer, his girlfriend I guess. I didn't pay much attention to him and continued to go about my business waiting my turn in the lineup while bopping to my music only to suddenly get that feeling you instinctively get when being watched. I looked up suddenly a couple of times and realized for whatever reason the Apple hipster dude seemed to always be glancing at me. His girlfriend, vampire slayer Buffy, also seemed to notice he had his attention on someone else besides her because she glanced my way and then at him with a puzzled look on her face. Any who I got to the cash register pulled out my IEM's, which happened to be the K2 sp shut off my rig and proceeded to pay for my purchases. As I'm walking out of the store I put my IEM's loosely back in and didn't bother turning on the music. Reason being Blue shirt Apple hipster dude and vampire slayer Buffy happened to be a few feet behind me as I'm walking out and I wanted to hear if Apple hipster dude was saying anything about me. What I heard was the following and apparently he was watching me a lot longer then I realized.

Vampire Slayer Buffy: You know the guy ahead of us?
Apple Hipster Dude: Why you asking?
Vampire Slayer Buffy: You've been looking at him ever since we walked into the store
Apple Hipster Dude: He was in my store a few days ago. See those ear buds he's wearing?
Vampire Slayer Buffy: Not really but I see a black cord going around the back of his ears. So he's wearing earbuds whats the big deal?
Apple Hipster Dude: He told me he got them in Japan and they cost 400 bucks.
Vampire Slayer Buffy: 400 dollars, he's probably just bsing you
Apple Hipster Dude: I thought so to until I started looking on the net and asked Josh about what I found. He said Japan makes high end sounding buds and they can be pricey.
Vampire Slayer Buffy: I thought most earbuds came from Asia. you think it's worth it paying that much money for earbuds?
Apple Hipster Dude: They do, most stuff comes from China but according to Josh Japan is known for making some pretty wack sounding earbuds and headphones.
Vampire Slayer Buffy: It's obvious you want to listen to them for yourself did he tell you the name of the brand?
Apple Hipster Dude: Nahhhh, I think I pissed him off. I dissed this little black amp that he had plugged into his iPod. I don't think he liked me telling him he should ditch the amp and get better buds
Vampire Slayer Buffy: Ha ha if he's not bsing about what he paid I doubt he can get better sounding buds. Why was he using an amp on a iPod for anyway? I thought amps were only for stereos.

It was about this time I got to my car and yanked my IEM's out of my ears. The second I yanked them out and turned slightly around to get into my car the two hipsters immediately stopped talking and continued walking by my car looking straight ahead. I threw my stuff in my car and jumped in feeling rather amused by their conversation. Me being me I just couldn't let what I had heard lie and slowly made a bee line in my car towards vampire slayer Buffy and Apple hipster dude. I drove my car up along side them and yelled "Hey Apple associate dude I told you they're called IEM's not earbuds. An for your information the company that makes the IEM's I'm wearing is called J-Phonic and I didn't buy them in Japan they're made in Japan I got them off the net"  I then gunned the engine and bolted away as fast as I could. Man did they looked shocked when they realized I had been listening in on their conversation LMAO.

All my troll points are belong to you, good sir.

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #7,740 of 23,366
Got my M-100's this morning here in South Africa, right now I'm trying to put on my custom face plates, but it seems like a mission with those screws.  Did everyone else have trouble with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back