V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 10, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #7,546 of 23,366
Quote:
As far as I can tell, the M-100 seems to have better scalability than M-80, that is, M-100 has a larger room for improvement when amped. Both M-80 and M-100 are highly sensitive, so they can still be driven efficiently by anything, even straight out of an iPhone. I own V-MODA's portable DAC/amp VAMP, and although I enjoyed the M-80 with it, I felt the improvement of an having an amp wasn't significant for the M-80. On the other hand, I can clearly hear a decent improvement with the M-100, comparing un-amped vs. amped.

That's good to know.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #7,549 of 23,366
Quote:
Separate buy, definitely. Come with it? probably not. 

These make for a very appealing gaming headset.

I'm curious how they compare to my SRH840s for sound quality though. I don't need more than one closed can; these are definitely built better but I wouldn't want to lose SQ.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #7,550 of 23,366
we need MOAR fist impressions
L3000.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #7,551 of 23,366
BRXIgnition... The sound leakage is actually VERY good. I use them in a place of business and have two co-workers in the same room about 8 feet away. I turned up my iphone and laptop to 80%ish and they couldnt hear it at all. Tested at home too and even 5 feet away you BARELY start to pick up any sound. I returned two different headphones for this very reason. These are by far the best that I have used in a quiet environment.

That said, to my ears, the mids and highs are very smooth and well balanced. Not too bright, but very natural. As you increase volume, both stay well balanced and distortion is minimal. I've tested classical, opera, 40's/50's, instrumental, pop, rock, metal, rap, r&b, and dub step. The M100's handled all of these very well. The dub step was the only one that the bass was not as good as I had hoped. The bass is tight and sounds good with alot of the music I tested, but with dubstep the lower frequencies lacked the depth and power that I wish it had. I actually went to the audio store with my headphones and listened to the $300 and under gamut they had along side mine. (And yes burn in is still in progress. I've had them running for about 14 hours). The verdict for me was that I had the best headphones I could buy for $300. I do wish the bass had more depth, but it is better than satisfactory for most music styles.

To echo what's already been said, build quality is excellent!! Very small form factor, light weight, comfortable and they look killer. Love the cables and the ability to plug into either side of the cans. The orange cable is rockin. I chose the black model and couldn't be happier. I haven't tested the accessories yet. The M100's are definately keepers in my book. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #7,553 of 23,366
Quote:
...The bass is tight and sounds good with alot of the music I tested, but with dubstep the lower frequencies lacked the depth and power that I wish it had.

That's what I was wondering.  Thanks Zom.    Have you, by chance, heard the M-80s?   The M-80 is my current headphone of choice.  I've become quite fond of it's sound signature generally speaking.  My hope for the M-100 was that the mids would remain largely the same while the highs would be ever so slightly more forward and the bass have a bit more presence and depth.  From what I've heard so far, the highs are just what I'd hoped for, but I'm interested in hearing a direct comparison between the M-80 & M-100 regarding the lower frequencies.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #7,554 of 23,366
Quote:
As far as I can tell, the M-100 seems to have better scalability than M-80, that is, M-100 has a larger room for improvement when amped. Both M-80 and M-100 are highly sensitive, so they can still be driven efficiently by anything, even straight out of an iPhone. I own V-MODA's portable DAC/amp VAMP, and although I enjoyed the M-80 with it, I felt the improvement of an having an amp wasn't significant for the M-80. On the other hand, I can clearly hear a decent improvement with the M-100, comparing un-amped vs. amped.

How would you compare the bass of the M-100 to the M-80 and can you get more specific on how the Vamp affects the sound of the M-100s? Val mentioned earlier how the soundstage really opens up. Do you have a similar experience? Thanks for your impressions!

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #7,557 of 23,366
Regarding all the leakage talk -- IMO it's not just leakage, it's the combination of leakage and isolation such that when you are listening at comfortable levels, those around you can't hear it.  If you're sitting in the library at 85% volume, then I am not sure there are any headphones out there that won't leak that out.  Sitting here right now I turned the volume up to what I would consider above comfortable for me, took them off and can barely make out that there's music playing over the hum of the pc.

Also keep in mind, the 'volume' on the player is totally subjective based on the source material.  In this test the next song came on and I could clearly hear it, so I turned the volume down to where I could not hear it anymore....Put the headphones on and still had to turn it down again for comfortable listening levels.

Just a bit of info that will make your test more impressive, the headphones actually seal better when worn, so what little leakage you hear with the headphones sitting on your desk will be far less when actually worn.

Leakage will not be an issue... On a bus, the engine and road noise will drown out any sound leaking out of the headphones. Computer fans will be louder. Even in the library, the crack of a turning page will be louder than closed headphones, at comfortable listening volume. Leakage is absolutely a non-issue with my LPs. Hope BRSxIgnition reads this.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #7,558 of 23,366
If 1xM-100 is not enough, how about 2 :wink:? Just kidding...I'm swapping with Val 'cos I like the black colour but brought both back home for custom shield change...no custom shield isn't the silver as in the unboxing pix :-

Such a rare occasion to actually have 2xM-100s in my hands even if it's for the next 12 hrs only.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #7,559 of 23,366
BRXIgnition... The sound leakage is actually VERY good. I use them in a place of business and have two co-workers in the same room about 8 feet away. I turned up my iphone and laptop to 80%ish and they couldnt hear it at all. Tested at home too and even 5 feet away you BARELY start to pick up any sound. I returned two different headphones for this very reason. These are by far the best that I have used in a quiet environment.

This is good - would you be able to see how bad the leakage is at a point blank range? Something like, sitting on the bus next to someone, or about 2 feet away at a desk? Is 80% from an iPhone what you would call your max listening volume; or is that way too much for you? With my old M50's, that would have been too much for my ears, but I'm unsure about how loud that is with the M-100.

Just a bit of info that will make your test more impressive, the headphones actually seal better when worn, so what little leakage you hear with the headphones sitting on your desk will be far less when actually worn.
Leakage will not be an issue... On a bus, the engine and road noise will drown out any sound leaking out of the headphones. Computer fans will be louder. Even in the library, the crack of a turning page will be louder than closed headphones, at comfortable listening volume. Leakage is absolutely a non-issue with my LPs. Hope BRSxIgnition reads this.

Thank you for the further elaboration. I'm just a bit OCD with this. I actually don't listen often in the library, but I do listen often at home, in the car, in the bus, and outside. Surrounding sounds will probably drown out the leakage, but I still rather have it minimal. I don't like being a nuisance to others around me by leaking a song people may not like - after all, I hate it when I hear other people's music leak.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #7,560 of 23,366
Quote:
Ok. Just tested the leakage in the library. music was played at 50% volume and nobody giving me a killer stare. I think I am just over-reacting on the leakage :)

Leakage is hard to measure by consumers as it must be measured by somebody else while you are listening and they don't know what volume/genre you really are playing (and if it is well above safe volume levels that cause you to go deaf instantly).  I will tell you this, when my teammates and I test M-100, I have never hear anything they are listening to ever ever ever, even sitting next to them.  But I think I listen a bit louder, so I always wonder if they can hear me because I tend to listen louder and to EDM vs classical/jazz/acoustic.  I can tell you that every person I've ever seen listening to Crossfade LP, LP2, M-80, M-100 so far I haven't heard anything but the faintest sound that I can remember.  

However, I'll try to get more scientific in this area in the future but we rarely had a complaint on LP, LP2, M-80 and they are fundamentally the same in these areas except on/over ear.  I strongly feel that we have the right balance of soundstage, isolation, fit and leakage (which are all interrelated).  

Quote:
I wonder what taping up the ports would do to the sound and isolation?

See above...  Remember, the VVV ports tip more on the scale of cosmetic vs functional.

However, every little thing matters so we are curious what you find and encourage modding pads/porting to your heart's content as long as you share the results with us!  Just wait to do it and give it some time to fit, I think you'll find over time that they'll mold to your ears, head and 95% of people's preferences as they are OOB with a lil patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back