V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 9, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #7,441 of 23,366
Easy guys, we've already had one thread lock down lets not make it two. The last thing i want to see is this thread locked and deleted out of existence.

@DJ Felix

A little constructive advice, around these forums bullies and trolls have a very short life span. Unlike other boards the mods here take their jobs seriously and keep the place clean of behavior deemed insulting lewd and/or inappropriate. Nobody twisted your arm to order this headphone and if waiting an extra few days is really that inconvenient then just cancel your order and walk away. Nobody on this thread is interested in you venting about delays especially when most on here have been waiting far longer then you have. Another thing, I suggest you pick your words carefully and your battles even more carefully. Members like scrypt and Val Kolton who unlike you have contributed to the community are respected amongst other members on these boards and none of us take kindly to seeing these members insulted. Welcome to Head-Fi, try not to step on anyone elses toes during your stay.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #7,442 of 23,366
This is very good that some of you guys are getting your headphones. I hope for those of you that haven't yet, just to hang on a little longer - you have, after all waited for so long already.

As for those that missed the pre-orders, I understand that attempting to get them for X'mas is although slim, but possible. However avenues on getting them may be difficult. Talking to Bill yesterday, you may be able to find them in Asia in-store (but they may not necessarily have an online presence). 

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #7,443 of 23,366
Quote:

Who loves true deep bass will be kinda sad if looking for extra bass, it really has that punching feeling, but isn't the same as bass heads cans. I'd really say that after 3 1/2 hours the M-100 sounds quite better, specially on the bass I feel. And yet really comfortable, nothing tries to scalp your head.

Wleyraud, thank you very much for sharing your impressions with us!  The above excerpt helps to answer two of my primary criteria: bass performance and comfort.  The fact that there was no decry of "HOLY BASS!," an attribute that can be meaningfully assessed by most regardless of experience level, is something that I find extremely encouraging.  From the above, one can glean that what you're hearing is a tight, non-bloated, quality low end.  Likewise, the note on comfort is... err... comforting. :)

Additionally, perhaps you've set the precedent for newly minted owners to present their M-100s alongside their instrumental kit of choice...?  I'd dig it!

For those that may be interested, this site has some great auditory testing tools. (bass response et al)

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #7,444 of 23,366
Quote:
The M80 can hardly handle a sub bass frequency that good! It muffled in that category.
I returned two M-80s in 2 weeks...

I beg to differ. I amped my M-80 with an E17 and custom LOD to my iPhone 4S, did a little eq'ing for increased bass levels, and was super happy with the results in the song below. The M-80 can handle subbass just fine, but it's just not tuned to overly emphasize it.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #7,445 of 23,366
Quote:

Wleyraud, thank you very much for sharing your impressions with us!  The above excerpt helps to answer two of my primary criteria: bass performance and comfort.  The fact that there was no decry of "HOLY BASS!," an attribute that can be meaningfully assessed by most regardless of experience level, is something that I find extremely encouraging.  From the above, one can glean that what you're hearing is a tight, non-bloated, quality low end.  Likewise, the note on comfort is... err... comforting. :)

Additionally, perhaps you've set the precedent for newly minted owners to present their M-100s alongside their instrumental kit of choice...?  I'd dig it!

For those that may be interested, this site has some great auditory testing tools. (bass response et al)

Thanks man! With all my simplicity I just wanted to share my impressions. Actually I didn't take any unboxing pictures 'cause I was really too excited to put my hands on all stuffs 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Thanks, Wleyraud, and congratulations on being the first to review the VTF order's extras as well as the M-100.  I see you're a guitarist and I know you own a computer, so I have to ask:  Have you tried out the mic yet? Have you attached it to anything just for fun?  And what have you been doing with the dual inputs of the M-100s that causes you to call them useful?

I respect your willingness to plunge into a review without researching the approved terms to use or trying to be more serious than the occasion made you feel. Honesty always has its own best style.

Actually the boom mic I couldn't really test due that my "wonderful" laptop doesn't have any mic input, neither found a way to adapt it yet. But listening experience through this cable work as good as the one button mic and the sharing audio ones. I may try to use the boom mic somehow after i wake up again 
wink_face.gif
 Well the first useful thing is that you can listen anything from 2 different sources of your preference. An example would be, in my case, putting my guitar songs on a songs that hasn't a guitarist, for training is really good. There might be lots of occasions that having an extra jack will be useful like for gamers, you can listen you favorite songs while still listening your game. Or at anytime you don't want to unplug the cable from the device you already have, just plug a second cable to whatever you want. It'll probably help for fun reasons only, however when you're using both ports at the same time I did notice an increase of gain, not really relevant, but quite nice effect it gives on sounds. I'd say that the freedom to be able to use two distinct devices at the same time opens lots of uses depending only on being creative. I'm really thankful that somehow my superficial review is raising curiosity 
biggrin.gif
 I'm just a beginner I know. I'm trying to learn as much as I can actually, but if it has one thing we learn about life is that to be perfect or I'd say at least professional there are no skipping steps right? Hehe I did as much as I could within what I could. To fill all wholes in my Swiss cheese review we're all waiting better reviews and impressions 
L3000.gif
 Oh and no worries I have the spirit of "living and learning". I'm pretty surprised that no one threw rocks on my simple review yet as we always have some warm-heads around 
tongue_smile.gif
 So far I'm glad at everyone in this thread, really.

I'm still pretty sleepy, sorry for any mistakes guys, see you all after I wake up again 
redface.gif

I'm finding lots of mistakes hehe, double sorry , not drunk here just sleepy 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #7,447 of 23,366
good thing i held back with the pre orders as i initially ordered the white ones but the matte black in my opinion looks SICK !!! I actually prefer without any engravings maybe just a leatherette shield would be nice...to preserve the all black and understated coolness.. !!!

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #7,448 of 23,366
Glad to see people finally getting these things - I'll give my impressions when I get mine, hopefully sometime this week.

In other news, I'm going to email V-MODA. 

My tracking still says:
Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office.

And the email is really bugging me. (6 - 10, rather than 3 - 5) If I paid extra for nothing, I want my money back.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #7,449 of 23,366
I ordered the Matte M-100, but it looks from all the unboxings that it will not come with an iPhone-compatible 3-button speakeasy cable. Am I wrong about this? I used my M-80 three-button all the time. Any androiders out there want to trade an orange one-button for a black or gray three-button speakeasy? If not, I'll just buy one from V-MODA.com. I know, I know: this request should be in the For Sale/Trade forum. But it will probably not get half as many views as it will here. I can move it to that thread if y'all want me to...

How about if you want to talk about the trade, we do it via PMs??

Don't let's clutter an otherwise spotless thread
rk.png

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #7,450 of 23,366
Quote:
I ordered the Matte M-100, but it looks from all the unboxings that it will not come with an iPhone-compatible 3-button speakeasy cable. Am I wrong about this? I used my M-80 three-button all the time. Any androiders out there want to trade an orange one-button for a black or gray three-button speakeasy? If not, I'll just buy one from V-MODA.com. I know, I know: this request should be in the For Sale/Trade forum. But it will probably not get half as many views as it will here. I can move it to that thread if y'all want me to...

I'd love that trade. But isn't shipping expensive? I live in Sweden.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #7,451 of 23,366
It took me an hour to find these songs on my IPOD.  I could not remember both, but I remember my M-80 muffled on these tracks!

Let see if the M-100 handle it well?  Let`s crank up the volume and fire up the AMP!   =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjI2J2SQ528

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDrMUDGsZM&feature=related

Off topic:

This song is for those members who has not gotten their M-100 yet...   

Enjoy.... =) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFJJvH1ozX0&feature=related

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #7,452 of 23,366
I'm looking forward to a great array of sound reviews in the coming weeks!

Would it be possible for the owners to look into the EDM Scene and check out the quality with Tech House, House, Liquid Drum & Bass and possible French Electro as well? Very curious to see how these cans compare with the quality of the M80s!

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #7,453 of 23,366
I get the same message BRSx. They have shipped and have tracking available but when i click the link i get that same message about it being unavailable.....oh well, they'll get here when they get here 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #7,454 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks, Wleyraud, and congratulations on being the first to review the VTF order's extras as well as the M-100.  I see you're a guitarist and I know you own a computer, so I have to ask:  Have you tried out the mic yet? Have you attached it to anything just for fun?  And what have you been doing with the dual inputs of the M-100s that causes you to call them useful?

Hi scrypt, I received my matte black M-100s and have had the chance to fiddle with both the included in-line mic and the boom mic. As a preface these are purely my subjective findings, I have no scientific evidence to support any of the comments I'm about to make. Additionally I used two pieces of hardware for these 'tests': MacbookPro Retina Display and iPhone 5. Having said that, let's get down to it...

I'll start with the boom mic, since that's what you asked about. In a word, excellent. I found that while making recordings using quicktime, overal representation of the input to be accurate and level. Additionally I used the boom mic to make a couple skype calls and regular phone calls and all parties agreed that the sound quality was exceptional (AT&T service in my area notwithstanding). The boom itself is very flexible and seems to stay where it's put (I've had boom mics in the past that like to 'drift'). The cable is noticeably longer than the 'stock' one-button/mic cable and has a relatively large volume wheel and mic mute switch a few inches below the connector to the ear-cup. All in all I could not be more satisfied with this accessory!

Now, moving on to the included 'in-line' microphone. First let me say that the orange color is simply amazing. Pictures do no do this cable justice at all. I was slightly disappointed to find that the included cable was of the one button variety as I do enjoy using the volume controls on the Apple-specific remotes. Even still I understand why Val included this cable as it has a wider market appeal and what it does, (pause/play, voice activation etc) it does very well. The microphone, at least my example is, simply put, not that great. The sound reproduction is overly muddy, and quiet. I compared this mic with the mic included on the stock Apple Ear Pods, the Bose QC15 and the Shure connection kit for the SE215s and far and away the M-100 in-line was the worst. Hoenestly, in the quicktime recordings it wasn't even close. It sounded as though there was something placed over the microphone as though maybe it had rotated in the housing. Granted it was usable, and with phone calls I never had anyone complain but with Siri I was getting about 30% accuracy where as with the Apple and Bose mics I would say I average about 90-95% voice recognition accuracy. I went ahead and sent a message to V-Moda about this asking if they think my problems might be a defective unit and if they have any of the orange cables as replacements.

All in all, with the inclusion of the boom mic, I think the M-100 will be a great all around 'headset' as well as a fantastic pair of headphones.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #7,455 of 23,366
Quote:

Hi scrypt, I received my matte black M-100s and have had the chance to fiddle with both the included in-line mic and the boom mic. As a preface thers are purely my subjective findings, I have no scientific evidence to support any of the comments I'm about to make. Additionally I used two pieces of hardware for these 'tests': MacbookPro Retina Display and iPhone 5. Having said that, let's get down to it...

I'll start with the boom mic, since that's what you asked about. In a word, excellent. I found that while making recordings using quicktime, overal representation of the input to be accurate and level. Additionally I used the boom mic to make a couple skype calls and regular phone calls and all parties agreed that the sound quality was exceptional (AT&T service in my area notwithstanding). The boom itself is very flexible and seems to stay where it's put (I've had boom mics in the past that like to 'drift'). The cable is noticeably longer than the 'stock' one-button/mic cable and has a relatively large volume wheel and mic mute switch a few inches below the connector to the ear-cup. All in all I could not be more satisfied with this accessory!

Now, moving on to the included 'in-line' microphone. First let me say that the orange color is simply amazing. Pictures do no do this cable justice at all. I was slightly disappointed to find that the included cable was of the one button variety as I do enjoy using the volume controls on the Apple-specific remotes. Even still I understand why Val included this cable as it has a wider market appeal and what it does, (pause/play, voice activation etc) it does very well. The microphone, at least my example is, simply put, not that great. The sound reproduction is overly muddy, and quiet. I compared this mic with the mic included on the stock Apple Ear Pods, the Bose QC15 and the Shure connection kit for the SE215s and far and away the M-100 in-line was the worst. Hoenestly, in the quicktime recordings it wasn't even close. It sounded as though there was something placed over the microphone as though maybe it had rotated in the housing. Granted it was usable, and with phone calls I never had anyone complain but with Siri I was getting about 30% accuracy where as with the Apple and Bose mics I would say I average about 90-95% voice recognition accuracy. I went ahead and sent a message to V-Moda about this asking if they think my problems might be a defective unit and if they have any of the orange cables as replacements.

All in all, with the inclusion of the boom mic, I think the M-100 will be a great all around 'headset' as well as a fantastic pair of headphones.

Dang, I wish my first post was this amazing. That'd be great.
I'll be the first of few to thank you for your review. I was curious as well although I didn't express it on here. Hopefully your in line mic is only defective as Val worked hard on the new model mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back