V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #4,006 of 23,366
Quote:
Ok team, I'm back for some updates!  

Asia Press Tour/Hi-End Show
It's been so busy that my head is spinning as I've been DJing every day, working on the launch materials (package/photos/copy for PR), new VAMPs in Japan as well as doing press interviews and meeting with my customers for the M-100 launch. 

It has been tough on me!  But, I am taking today to clear my head before heading to the factory again Wednesday-Friday for final production. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures that I can start posting Tues-Wednesday.

GREAT NEWS
Overall the great thing about the M-100 production run so far is the drivers and sound is very consistent and the hinge mechanism feels like a "vault"!!!  Sound is always my #1 concern, as sound is everything then durability, quality, color matching, etc is everything +1.

The hinge mechanism feels amazing and smooth, this is probably up there with sound as my top concern. 

IQC (Incoming Quality Control) Photos
Like the finest food and wines, its all about the quality of the ingredients not necessarily the recipe.  M-100's ingredients have all been A+ thus far. This is a very important step, as most parts are made in misc factories and even in various countries to get the VERY best parts in the world.   

V-MODA Engineering Team Custom "QLICKFOLD" Hinge:

Matte Silver Finish on Stainless Steel - Looks and Feels like a million bucks, this finish took a long time to perfect!  Look ma, no spots.

Great, keep up the good work!

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #4,009 of 23,366
Quote:
Looks great! Thanks for the update!
Also "vault hinges" sounds cool, finally a v-name that doesn't sound out of place or cheesy.

Val's post said: V-MODA Engineering Team Custom "QLICKFOLD" Hinge
As in, quick to fold and makes a click sound when folded?

"Vault hinge" sounds just as cheesy as the other hinge names previously mentioned in this thread.

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #4,010 of 23,366
Quote:

"Vault hinge" sounds just as cheesy as the other hinge names previously mentioned in this thread.

I'm so happy to have an update from Val, I don't care if he calls it the Thighmaster hinge.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #4,011 of 23,366
Quote:

ooooo I wonder if it'll lock a little bit when it folds all the way both ways. That'll be really nifty.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #4,012 of 23,366
Quote:
Overall the great thing about the M-100 production run so far is the drivers and sound is very consistent... Sound is always my #1 concern...

The most reassuring and exciting info to come from this update. 
popcorn.gif

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #4,013 of 23,366
Quote:
The hinge mechanism feels amazing and smooth, this is probably up there with sound as my top concern. 

Yeah, the thought of a part of the headphone stop working or brake after some time...5000 full cycles?.... at least twice a day.....approx. 20 years?!....or 4 full cycles a day, that'd be about 10 years. Ah, not so bad....and I think I wouldn't do 4 full hinge cycles every day so....That's a long time!

He did say 5000 full hinge cycles, right? (1 open + 1 close = 1 full hinge cycle)

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #4,014 of 23,366
Should they break, wouldn't they be also covered by the warranty?

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #4,015 of 23,366
Quote:

The most reassuring and exciting info to come from this update. 
popcorn.gif

Agreed. Sound is #1!

Quote:

Yeah, the thought of a part of the headphone stop working or brake after some time...5000 full cycles?.... at least twice a day.....approx. 20 years?!....or 4 full cycles a day, that'd be about 10 years. Ah, not so bad....and I think I wouldn't do 4 full hinge cycles every day so....That's a long time!

He did say 5000 full hinge cycles, right? (1 open + 1 close = 1 full hinge cycle)

Click Feeling: folding both in and out has an amazingly satisfying click, it has been one of the most important items for me during development

Our 5000 cycle standard: retain 80% of the "smooth" force and still click is our standard. and if you surpass that for some reason or just want new hinges, we can replace them but they were not made to be user replaceable (although head-fiers will most likely try)
Quote:
Should they break, wouldn't they be also covered by the warranty?

of course, 2 years plus immortal life program. And we also can do repairs in LA for anything.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #4,016 of 23,366
Quote:

Click Feeling: folding both in and out has an amazingly satisfying click, it has been one of the most important items for me during development

Our 5000 cycle standard: retain 80% of the "smooth" force and still click is our standard. and if you surpass that for some reason or just want new hinges, we can replace them but they were not made to be user replaceable (although head-fiers will most likely try)

of course, 2 years plus immortal life program. And we also can do repairs in LA for anything.

oh wow so it really does lock a bit either way? that's really useful for making the headphone stay in one place which is nice. Can't wait to try it.

By the way, where on the PPUs do you plan on signing it?
wink_face.gif
 box? headband? carrying case?

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #4,018 of 23,366
Quote:
what are ppus? and how are they diff to the normal versions?

PPU stand for pre production unit.  They are a limited quantity test production run before full mass production designed to catch any production issues that need to be addressed before full mass production begins.  Quality of these is being personally overseen by Val.  The quantities are limited to less than 100 per color (I believe 3 colors at launch).  Val has offered to include something signed on these along with additional custom shields for $310.  As these are limited release, they may or may not be numbered/collectible.  Another advantage is the opportunity to own these before they are available to the general public.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #4,020 of 23,366
Quote:
PPU stand for pre production unit.  They are a limited quantity test production run before full mass production designed to catch any production issues that need to be addressed before full mass production begins.  Quality of these is being personally overseen by Val.  The quantities are limited to less than 100 per color (I believe 3 colors at launch).  Val has offered to include something signed on these along with additional custom shields for $310.  As these are limited release, they may or may not be numbered/collectible.  Another advantage is the opportunity to own these before they are available to the general public.

Thanks was really helpful! Hopefully PPU come out 2moro!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back